: CTS vs. Sts

sbpd06
12-04-11, 08:25 AM
Hi Everyone,

Looking to buy my first Cad. I am looking at a CTS or STS 2005-2007. Been told the V*in STS will not last as long as the 6 and that there are major sensor issues in the 8 as the car reaches 100,000. Is this true?

Is the 6 enough power for either car? What are the real differences and how many miles would a well taken care of sts or cts be expected to live for?

Thanks,
Steve

** moderator edit: email removed - you'll just get spammed **

1BadCadSTS
12-04-11, 08:31 AM
other way around, check the SRX boys, the 3.6 is plagued with timing chain issues, the N* is bulletproof.

sbpd06
12-04-11, 08:55 AM
The dealer I stopped at told me that the Northstar on the 2005 would be prone to expensive problems at 10000+ Better to go with 6?

mckellyb
12-04-11, 09:16 AM
Mistake one...you believed anything a dealer said.

The Northstar is a borderline bulletproof engine.

This said, any engine will have things wear out/break, eventually.

malatu
12-04-11, 05:28 PM
He probably only had a 6 cyl to sell you. Go test drive them. Get what ya like best and don't worry about it.

rics8
12-04-11, 05:35 PM
Go 07 with warranty and Your all set with what ever you pick. The warranty Will cover you so get a good one.

sbpd06
12-04-11, 06:40 PM
Hi Everyone,

Looking to buy my first Cad. I am looking at a CTS or STS 2005-2007. Been told the V*in STS will not last as long as the 6 and that there are major sensor issues in the 8 as the car reaches 100,000. Is this true?

Is the 6 enough power for either car? What are the real differences and how many miles would a well taken care of sts or cts be expected to live for?

Thanks,
Steve

** moderator edit: email removed - you'll just get spammed **

Is i reasonable to expect these cars either the 6 or 8 to go 150 thousand?

sbpd06
12-04-11, 07:02 PM
Is it reasobale to expect either 6 or 8 to 15000+?

550HP STSV
12-05-11, 06:08 PM
yes, it should do well over 15,000 miles. my friend had one with 60k.

KRSTS
12-05-11, 06:29 PM
I have one with 46,000 miles

mckellyb
12-05-11, 07:01 PM
I'll letcha know when I hit 200K miles.

turnne
12-05-11, 07:45 PM
The dealer I stopped at told me that the Northstar on the 2005 would be prone to expensive problems at 10000+ Better to go with 6?

my 02 STS had 121K when I traded it in

all I really had out of it was a few electrical issues and an ABS pump going out
I felt lucky as I think by that time the Northstar HG issues were a a thing of the past

That being said..its probably not the engine thats going to be an issue...its electrical issues that are going to be the problem

for instance...check the cost of replacing the components of the Magnetic ride control

These cars with high mileage can quickly cost their $$ worth in repairs

Warren

mikemillion2000
12-05-11, 08:36 PM
I'm currently at 125K miles on my 2005 STS. The engine still runs pretty strong, though its the little things that get ya... but I'd rather it be a little thing than a BIG thing..

My only advice.. DO NOT BUY A RWD.. That was my mistake as when I bought it about four years ago, I did not think there would be much of a difference. I found out the hard way that they DO NOT handle well in inclement weather (even when driving under 10 mph.. yes I said 10 mph). Even with snow tires and weight in the trunk as I was told to do...

Even my STS, which I love, but I have to park in the Winter since I live in mid-atlantic area.. If you live in a southern state where there is not much snow, then ok, but if you live anywhere due north, go for the AWD models....

MacMuse
12-05-11, 11:25 PM
Well, I'm in Chicago and drive RWD STS year round. I did replace the OEM tires as they were more like ice skates in wet & snow by the time I bought the car in '09.

I use Blizzaks in the winter, and it's just about time to put them on here in early December. In fact I had a scare a couple days ago in my Summer tires (not All-Season) as they lost traction on a flat wet road. Thank you Traction Control.

EChas3
12-05-11, 11:51 PM
November & April, here!

Frikiton
12-12-11, 10:54 PM
2006 STS 1SC - RWD with 126k miles and still going
Wearing Continental DWS but looking to put on for winter Blizzak or Pirelli 240
RWD is safe in snow with Real Snow/Winter Tires
I seen AWD Jeep slide in 1/2 inch snow because of bad tires :)

targetSTS
12-13-11, 07:22 AM
winter coming soon here at eastern europe.....
I put new goodyear ultra grip ice+ all around on my rwd n* sts
We have snow winters as usual with temperatures below -20C very often. Will see how caddy can perform at winter, but there are a lot of rwd bimmers and benz around, I don't think it would be a nightmare. Driver should change their driving style according to weather conditions+winter tires only+brains )))

Jesda
12-15-11, 07:31 AM
The Northstar, especially the heavily revised longitudinal/RWD version, is pretty darn dependable. My old 2001 Seville STS currently has 145k. Other than drinking a quart of oil every thousand or so miles, it doesn't have any mechanical issues.

Like turnne said, your primary issues will be electrical or related to accessories and gadgets. All of that can add up very quickly.

I can't entirely fault a dealer for saying the Northstar has issues given its checkered past, but things have changed.

'Timing chains on the 3.6L HF V6 from 2004-2007 are a very real problem. However, I'm not aware of any issues with the 08+ CTS regarding the 3.0 or 3.6 engines. [Would be wise to check the CTS forum here]

Delta
12-15-11, 08:59 AM
The Northstar, especially the heavily revised longitudinal/RWD version, is pretty darn dependable. My old 2001 Seville STS currently has 145k. Other than drinking a quart of oil every thousand or so miles, it doesn't have any mechanical issues.

Like turnne said, your primary issues will be electrical or related to accessories and gadgets. All of that can add up very quickly.

I can't entirely fault a dealer for saying the Northstar has issues given its checkered past, but things have changed.

'Timing chains on the 3.6L HF V6 from 2004-2007 are a very real problem. However, I'm not aware of any issues with the 08+ CTS regarding the 3.0 or 3.6 engines. [Would be wise to check the CTS forum here]

08's had just as bad of timing chain issues actually.

but like you said, the northstars are not what they used to be. no more lower crankcase leaks, bad oil consumption, or headgasket issues.

overall, STS>CTS IMO

EChas3
12-15-11, 10:24 PM
The STS is too small. The CTS is unacceptably so. No contest, IMHO. STS>CTS and they could have done so much better (see SLS available in China only).

turnne
12-16-11, 07:06 AM
The STS is too small. The CTS is unacceptably so. No contest, IMHO. STS>CTS and they could have done so much better (see SLS available in China only).

There are still DTS's available

Warren

EChas3
12-16-11, 06:32 PM
There are still DTS's available.

I hope to never own another FWD.

turnne
12-16-11, 09:43 PM
I hope to never own another FWD.

don't judge FWD by a Cadillac product

I could say the same thing about factory Nav or voice activation...if I was using my STS as a litmus test

But I know what other products are out there

I actually didnt mind the DTS loaner I had....the oddity was that archaic 4 speed auto it still used

Seriously...wasn't a 4 speed auto trans dated 10 years ago?

There were a plethora of 5 speeds years ago...and Lexus came out with an 8 speed ..like 3 years ago?

Warren

Pjazz
12-17-11, 08:11 PM
I'm currently at 125K miles on my 2005 STS. The engine still runs pretty strong, though its the little things that get ya... but I'd rather it be a little thing than a BIG thing..

My only advice.. DO NOT BUY A RWD.. That was my mistake as when I bought it about four years ago, I did not think there would be much of a difference. I found out the hard way that they DO NOT handle well in inclement weather (even when driving under 10 mph.. yes I said 10 mph). Even with snow tires and weight in the trunk as I was told to do...

Even my STS, which I love, but I have to park in the Winter since I live in mid-atlantic area.. If you live in a southern state where there is not much snow, then ok, but if you live anywhere due north, go for the AWD models....

I switch out my summer tires with snow tires and I pass jeeps in the snow with my rear wheel drive. No big deal.

turnne
12-18-11, 05:30 PM
though I have an AWD

I used to own an older STS as well as a V8 Aurora

Both are unbelievable cars in the snow....IMO...they are built for that type of duty

Warren

sbpd06
12-26-11, 09:06 AM
Hi Everyone,

Still looking for my first Cad. My search got delayed due to work commitments. Iam thinking about A 2007 OR 2008 cts OR sts.
am just about ready to start again, and had a couple questions I could really use some help with:

1. I am more interested in the ride and comfort, would you reccomend the STS or CTS? i PROBABLY WONT HAVE MORE THAN 4 PEOPLE TO DRIVE WHEN i AM NOT ALONE.
2, Is the 6 powerful enough that I wont see under performance?
3. Just from reputation, just from reputatio, whick should give me th least repair headaches and last longer, the 8 or 6?

Thanks for taking the time to answer and help

EChas3
12-26-11, 12:48 PM
In my opinion, the CTS is too small and lacks the ride & features of the STS. Unless you can afford a newer STS, all the best options are only available on the V-8's.

Both engines were later perfected (aka obsolete) but the 3.6 V-6 did have some cam chain issues in the mid-to-late-2000's. Otherwise, it's a fine engine and forum members report it provides plenty of power. I prefer the V-8 and feel it is more powerful, refined and is a better match for a luxury car.

cadillacmike68
12-30-11, 01:06 AM
I had a 2000 eldo with FWD 4.6L NorthStar V8, and took it to 132,000 mi before getting hit and the ins co total lossing it. Aside from the anoying case half oil leak issue (no longer an issue i hope) it had no real drivetrain problems and did not need new timing chains or anything.

My wife had a 2995 CTS with the 3.6L that she took to 117,000 mi before trading it for a 2008 CTS 3.6L No issues with that car except rear diff bushings.

If you look for an STS try to find the NotrthStar V8, but there aren't very many. Otherwise the V6 is the same as in the CTS, which is lighter and costs less, so why bother with V6 STS???

The tilt wheel is better in the STS more like the old fashioned Saginaw tilt.

The 2008 CTS is AWD - not needed here in FL, takes away some front seat passenger room and a 2-3 MPG hit on the highway. The STS is RWD. We are trading the 2008 CTS for a 2010 very soon.

Jesda
01-02-12, 12:10 AM
Cadillac sorely needs a RWD mid-plus sized car now that the STS is gone.

One of these days...

turnne
01-03-12, 08:02 PM
In my opinion, the CTS is too small and lacks the ride & features of the STS. Unless you can afford a newer STS, all the best options are only available on the V-8's.

Both engines were later perfected (aka obsolete) but the 3.6 V-6 did have some cam chain issues in the mid-to-late-2000's. Otherwise, it's a fine engine and forum members report it provides plenty of power. I prefer the V-8 and feel it is more powerful, refined and is a better match for a luxury car.

they are within very small increments of the same size

if you think the CTS is too small...then you would have to think the STS is too small

that being said

the STS is so bad ...you could actually get an STS ...much more loaded than a CTS for about the same price

Clearly..the buying public thinks the CTS is worth closer to its asking price than the STS

The CTS actually almost dispels that old story that all Cadillacs have horrible resale value

Warren

Smiling Jack
01-04-12, 10:35 PM

if you think the CTS is too small...then you would have to think the STS is too small

that being said

the STS is so bad ...you could actually get an STS ...much more loaded than a CTS for about the same price

Clearly..the buying public thinks the CTS is worth closer to its asking price than the STS

The CTS actually almost dispels that old story that all Cadillacs have horrible resale value

Warren

The traditionally steep depreciation of Cadillacs is only "horrible" if you are on the selling side. For those of us buying late model used Cadillacs, it has always been a wonderful thing!

turnne
01-07-12, 03:14 PM
The traditionally steep depreciation of Cadillacs is only "horrible" if you are on the selling side. For those of us buying late model used Cadillacs, it has always been a wonderful thing!

agreed...I bought a 4 year old 1SG from a Caddy dealer for 27% of its $67,200 sticker

IMO...those days are over for Cadillac

I don't see them going down the road of the STS or XLR again anytime soon

Heavy discounting from sticker, heavily subsidized leases and cars worth a fraction of their sticker after 3 years

If I were a betting man I think cars like the CTS( and probably their upcoming sedan) will much more profitable venues for the company

Warren

Warren

bajabill
01-11-12, 12:37 PM

that being said

Warren

I agree completely with your assessment of the market, thats why I ended up with an STS - from here on out I dont care about resale value with this car.

However, I did notice with just sitting in a CTS the difference in interior room, or felt room. As well as luxury feel.

I have a 6cyl and think the power is fine, even at least as peppy feeling as my old 96 seville sts without the torque steer.

Lifer
01-15-12, 01:26 PM
CTS = Car Too Small
STS = Still Too Small
DTS = Damn, Too Small
ATS = Always Too Small

turnne
01-15-12, 03:01 PM
CTS = Car Too Small
STS = Still Too Small
DTS = Damn, Too Small
ATS = Always Too Small

DTS is your only choice for buying a car that meets the classification of "Full Size car"

otherwise you have to buy a high end import for at least twice the price of the DTS...if you have to have full size luxury

Warren

Charles Warren
01-19-12, 12:07 AM
wish i still had my 97 deville concours, my sts has about the same backseat room as my grand prix. they need to make a big car again, fleetwood or fts lol

turnne
01-20-12, 04:17 PM
those big rolling "living rooms" are a thing of the past with all the pseudo pillow interior etc

Warren

EChas3
01-20-12, 09:27 PM
One more example of negative progress.

turnne
01-22-12, 07:34 PM
or an example of something that was long on tooth and dated

They seem to "finally" have a portfolio that is holding value better...where they dont have to have give away leases( or 20-25% off retail stickers) to move cars and then have them come back at 1/3 the value of their stickers 3-4 years later...at lease end

Perhaps the reorg has taught them better business practices and that they need to have profitable platforms

Not that I haven't benefited from their business practices.... buying a couple of cars that had "falling like a stone " resale value
the current STS has the same value proposition..or lack of...as the previous bodystyle
but..I think those days are gone

I bet some one is looking at every $$ these days

The CTS is performing MUCH better in value retention than the STS

Warren

kentp2005
01-23-12, 05:54 PM
Steve,

I own a 2005 STS w* Nav. The 3.6 has enough power for what ever you are looking for. This is what i have... I have topped my STS out at 140 and she was riding and sounding smooth. I have also raced a stock 2005 Mustang GT and I was able to stay ahead of it with no problem. So if you are worried about power the 3.6 has it. Now for the class I have see the difference from the STS and CTS, and the STS will win every time I am sorry for the ones that own a CTS, but it doesn't keep up in class. It is one of the smoothest rides i have had the privilege to drive. i hope this helps in your first Cadillac purchase.

1BadCadSTS
01-23-12, 06:46 PM
If you beat down a Mustang GT 4.6 in a 255 HP V6 STS then you were racing a GT badged V6 Mustang or someone who cant drive. The GT has more power and less weight and I am far from a Mustang lower owning a Camaro SLP SS...

550HP STSV
01-24-12, 09:53 PM
Lol beat an 05 mustang GT with your 05 V6 STS huh?

2005 Ford Mustang GT 4.6L V8:
0-60 5.1 seconds
Quarter mile: 13.5

2005 Cadillac STS V6:
0-60: 6.3 Seconds
Quarter Miles: 14.42

Hmmmmmmm

cadillacmike68
02-24-12, 02:47 AM
CTS = Car Too Small
STS = Still Too Small
DTS = Damn, Too Small
ATS = Always Too Small

That's why we also have a 1996 Fleetwood and a 1968 DeVille convertible!!!