: New 2006 STS and a few questions

Smiling Jack
12-04-11, 03:04 AM
Recently bought this 2006 STS AWD (V6) with only 20,100 miles

At $18,900, I paid a bit more than I wanted to, but I could not pass up the low mileage and exceptional appearance inside and out.

A few questions:

1. I can't get a response from the Univ. Home Remote System (following the manual instructions). Are the UHRS buttons present on cars that do not actually have this equipment , or am I missing something ?

2. There's a list of equipment codes under the spare tire cover. Do we have a list to interpret these codes ?

3. Do owners of the AWD experience lower mpg than those with RWD in real world driving?

4. There is a cubby hole under the radio. The door will not stay shut. Is that a common problem? Is there a known fix?

5. Do tires have longer or shorter tread life in the AWD cars?

Thanks for any info.

rics8
12-04-11, 06:44 PM
3 and 5. 3 a little less car is a bit heavier. 5 tires are tires depends on the roads and how you drive. Don't know about the rest. I have a 08. Sorry

Smiling Jack
12-04-11, 07:47 PM
3 and 5. 3 a little less car is a bit heavier. 5 tires are tires depends on the roads and how you drive. Don't know about the rest. I have a 08. Sorry

Thanks, rics8.

EChas3
12-04-11, 09:10 PM
1. I think Homelink is standard. If you have the buttons, it should work with all but the newest (new frequency) door openers.
A. Make sure your Valet Switch (glovebox) is off.
B. If the indicator light works, the fuse is OK.
2. Answered elsewhere.
3. Absolutely - Weight, Rolling Resistence, Gearing and Tranmission Control Module programming.
4. Yes, the ashtray's are problematic.
5. Front tire outside shoulders do wear; especially with wider tires. Tire rotation can help a lot.

I hope you bought a warranty.

Smiling Jack
12-04-11, 09:29 PM
1. I think Homelink is standard. If you have the buttons, it should work with all but the newest (new frequency) door openers.
A. Make sure your Valet Switch (glovebox) is off.
B. If the indicator light works, the fuse is OK.
2. Answered elsewhere.
3. Absolutely - Weight, Rolling Resistence, Gearing and Tranmission Control Module programming.
4. Yes, the ashtray's are problematic.
5. Front tire outside shoulders do wear; especially with wider tires. Tire rotation can help a lot.

I hope you bought a warranty.

Echas,

Thanks.

I did not think of the valet switch. Will check.

Clarification: It's not the glove box; its the upper compartment, the one with the door that swings upward to open.

And yes, bought a 4-year bumper-to-bumper

EChas3
12-04-11, 11:48 PM
My 2006 STS Valet Switch is in the glovebox. It opens down & holds little more than the manual.

When you say glovebox and reference an upper compartment might you have a non-Nav car and be correcting my thought of ashtray trouble? I have Nav & don't know what non-Nav looks like.

Smiling Jack
12-05-11, 12:06 AM
My 2006 STS Valet Switch is in the glovebox. It opens down & holds little more than the manual.

When you say glovebox and reference an upper compartment might you have a non-Nav car and be correcting my thought of ashtray trouble? I have Nav & don't know what non-Nav looks like.

Sorry. I was mixing response to two different items.

I do think that my valet switch is in the glove box as well, and that was a good thought. I will check this, but I expect to find that it is off (not disabling stuff) since the remote start and trunk opening are operating.

I suppose the next step is to check fuses.

My remark about the upward swinging compartment door was in reference to the door that will not stay shut, and yes that compartment is on a non-nav.