: Problem with Radio in 2005 STS

mikemillion2000
12-03-11, 03:16 PM
Hello, I know you've folks probably heard this one before, but here goes:

I just changed the battery in my 2005 STS. Noted shortly before I swapped it out, the radio/display went dead. I did a search and found out that there is a fuse box in the rear right seat that has the fuse for the radio (I checked and it looks fine, no breaks), I checked the fuse box in the rear left seat that has the fuse for the amp( it looks like a relay, but it still looked fine)..

Any other things I can check before I take out a loan and take the car to the local Cadillac dealer?

Thanx a million.

Mikemillion-

scott9001
12-03-11, 03:54 PM
probably in a security mode did u keep power on the system when you changed the battery?

mikemillion2000
12-03-11, 04:16 PM
That would be a no. The car was off when I swapped it out. I start the car, drove it, brought it back to the house just fine, just no radio/display.

carter's_sts
12-03-11, 10:39 PM
I changed the battery on mine 2 weeks ago and did not keep power on the system. Did not have this problem. Probably had no power for about 5 minutes.

ddalder
12-04-11, 12:00 AM
Not likely a security feature. Part of the VIN is stored in an EEPROM (Electrically Eraseable Programmable Read Only Memory) within the radio when it is configured for the first time. When it powers up, it will read the VIN from the data bus and compare with what is stored. If there is a discrepancy it will display a message. Having the radio disconnected for a long period of time will not affect security features in newer radios. Is this a base radio, or does it have navigation? Does any of the backlighting work when your headlamps are on?

mikemillion2000
12-04-11, 08:30 AM
Yes, it is a base radio, I've made no mods to the car since I've had it.. Has navigation and all.. And yes, the backlighting (if you mean the lighting inside the car in the rear?) is working just fine.

Angus Young
12-04-11, 08:43 AM
I have this same issue, I would have to disconnect then reconnect the battery in order for my display to come back on, sometimes the radio stays on for weeks at a time, then sometimes it wont even stay on for a day, This is such a frequent thing now I have caught a message that says communication fault, No XM signal, then goes blank dead, SOMETIMES if you press the eject button for 6 seconds the screen will move back and forth and eject the nav disk the display will come back on and the radio will be on FM. I noted this, around the same time the radio started acting up, If I floor the car or get on it hard a very strong burning smell fills the inside on the car, this doesnt seem to affect radio but just bringing it up.... and mine is a 2005 STS 1SG with Nav and a lockpick also there is no backlighting when its not working, screen is totally dead, but will move back and forth if you eject the disk.

KRSTS
12-04-11, 09:16 AM
Yes, it is a base radio, I've made no mods to the car since I've had it.. Has navigation and all.. And yes, the backlighting (if you mean the lighting inside the car in the rear?) is working just fine.

Yea that backlighting is controlled bvy the flux capacitor:hmm:

ddalder
12-04-11, 11:19 AM
The base radio would be the AM/FM/CD whereas the navigation radio is an uplevel radio.

As for the backlighting, what I'm referring to is the illumination of the buttons on the radio when the headlamps are on. If I'm not mistaken, with the radios in the STS, the backlighting is controlled by a data signal as opposed to a variable voltage signal supplied to the radio. If the button backlighting works, this would suggest there is power to the radio and it does have some degree of functionality. Of course for those who don't understand how it works, I can understand the confusion with how the flux capacitor is integrated.

Being a navigation radio, if the problem was a security lock, it would definitely say "Theft Lock" on the screen.

Subsailor613
12-04-11, 02:58 PM
Replaced my battery this last summer, Took it out and took it to the parts store,
Non-NAV.It was out for over an hour, replaced bettery, No ill effects whatsoever.
Have Fun. :cool2::cool2::cool2:

dkozloski
12-04-11, 04:09 PM
Disconnect the leads from the battery for a few minutes, touch then together, and reconnect. This will reboot the system and may cure a lot of problems.

mikemillion2000
12-04-11, 06:00 PM
ddalder - I wanted to confirm that the backlighting is functioning, just came in from checking it.

dkozlowski- I tried what you indicated, no dice.. Backlighting is working, but radio/display is still not coming on..

Angus Young
12-05-11, 06:17 AM
Press and hold the eject button, see if it will eject the disk, if not there is no power to the unit, when my display is out I can still eject the disks, also look at the XM module in the trunk, under the carpet on the passengers side and verify the cables are fully plugged in, Sometimes Mine says loss of communication No XM signal right before mine goes dead .

mikemillion2000
12-05-11, 08:20 PM
Angus - Yep, no power to the radio. Though the backlighting is working fine, I pressed the eject and held it for more than ten seconds, no dice, er.. no response from the radio.

ddalder
12-05-11, 11:05 PM
Press and hold the eject button, see if it will eject the disk, if not there is no power to the unit, when my display is out I can still eject the disks, also look at the XM module in the trunk, under the carpet on the passengers side and verify the cables are fully plugged in, Sometimes Mine says loss of communication No XM signal right before mine goes dead .
I suspect this is just part of whatever else is failing in your radio. The radio will function whether the SDAR module is connected or not.

Just because one of these radios won't eject discs doesn't mean there is no power to the radio. Since button backlighting is working, the radio does have power. GM's factory service manual confirms this and is quite clear that backlighting is controlled using the GMLAN bus. Voltage is not supplied to the backlighting by the same method used in several of the other switches and controls in the car, or in the manner used in many other GM models. Because the backlighting works, it also confirms that the electronics internal to the radio works (to some extent) or it would not process the lamp on/off/dimming signal from the data bus.

mikemillion2000 - At this point it seems like an internal failure. You have a couple of options...

1. Take it to your dealer, have them scan it and see if there are any radio codes. GM will have to send it to one of the authorized service centres for repair as this is not a dealership level repair.

2. Consider finding a used radio on eBay. There are a lot available for your year. You will need to take it to your dealer to be unlocked and reconfigured for your car. This may still be well less than you'd pay to have yours repaired. The advantage to having yours repaired is you will have some degree of warranty.

There is an outside chance that connector C3 (on the back of the radio), terminal 1 or 9 may not be making good contact. This isn't very likely though. Alternatively, it is possible that wiring from C201 terminal 26 is problematic. Again, not likely.

jsteve2
01-15-12, 01:29 PM
'06, STS. New battery. Problems started after left motor mount was replaced. Radio is on when car started up then display went off. Phone ok, screen for navigation ok. Could not get AM/FM/XM bands to display??!

EChas3
01-15-12, 05:26 PM
Try pulling the radio fuse & then replacing it.

If that doesn't work, pull the negative battery terminal & the postive termial, touch them together briefly and then reconnect positve, then negative. This provides the best reset and and may require re-setting the express-up windows.

willysmooo
05-22-14, 08:27 AM
Hopefully someone might be able to help. I have an 07 with the navigation magnetic ride etc, all controlled through the radio. Well this morning I started my car and the radio is completely muffled... All base sound. It doesn't seem like the seat speakers or back speakers are working really. All my functions and lights in the system work, navigation, car display, controls etc all are working fine. I haven't checked any fuses or anything yet. It's like the speakers are just muffled as hell. U can't make out really what anyone is saying. Any thoughts? Help? Anyone had an issue like this? Before it happened I could get a crackle sound in the back right speaker from time to time. As I mentioned everything else in the display is working just fine. No issues there at all, it's just the sound.

willysmooo
05-22-14, 10:24 AM
Ok after stopping by a local radio shop that's been around forever he confirms most likely my suspicion that it is the amp. Does anyone know where the amp or amps are on the 05-11 sts? We didn't tear it all apart

RippyPartsDept
05-22-14, 10:33 AM
in the trunk... rear drivers side quarter panel (behind the wheel in front of the tail lamp)

willysmooo
05-22-14, 11:36 AM
Ok. Thanks so much Chris. I really appreciate it. I have a couple really good salvage yards around here in Detroit , but u have any idea if I had to get one from you what it would cost?

RippyPartsDept
05-22-14, 12:34 PM
there are two amp for the two speaker options
you're looking at either $500 or $680
and I'd like to use your VIN to determine which one you need

willysmooo
05-22-14, 12:42 PM
Yup. I just discovered that. I have the 15 or 16 speakers the UY5 or whatever. I found several on eBay for around $130. Tested an free of defects. And a good rated seller. With my miles that's the route I'm gonna go. Just in case my VIN# is 1G6DC67A370151731
Chris can you tell me if I am correct in assuming that part# 15225342 is the correct amp for my VIN? Thanks. Never mind.....I yanked it out in a minute....thanks....

RippyPartsDept
05-22-14, 03:31 PM
cool... there are about 10 part numbers that have been used over the years the UY5 - and that is one of them

willysmooo
05-22-14, 04:37 PM
I'm sorry, one more thing, on the back of my amp, it is 15856207, but the part # above I listed 15225342on ebay cosmetically just looks a bit cleaner than, the exact amp with my exact part# (ending in 07) but it seems like those are all interchangeable. As long as it's the UY5? Am I correct in assuming that? ...I also got a message from a member I need to order my door sensor thing too??I'll have to email you the part number and then figure out how i pay..etc

RippyPartsDept
05-22-14, 04:45 PM
Yes, UY5 is the key

both those numbers are on the interchange/supersession list

willysmooo
05-22-14, 11:02 PM
I'm also gonna throw this out there. I ordered an amp from ebay $92 bucks. I've noticed that for whatever reason a couple people who are selling them, just cut the wires. Anyone who may have removed the stock bose amp, is there a trick to removing the wire harnesses? They are simple male female connections, but I'm wondering if there are tabs you have to manipulate? Perhaps ?......why else would a couple people cut the wires...leaving the actual harness connectors in the slots? Maybe to protect the male tabs? Just to keep anything from bending them????

ddalder
05-22-14, 11:12 PM
As I recall, there is a tab you need to press to release a lever which is lifted to separate the connector from the amplifier. I would recommend disconnecting your battery or pulling the fuse before you do this. Sorry I can't be more specific, but if you look, I'm sure you'll find the tabs. There should be two connectors. They are different but similar in how the interface.

RippyPartsDept
05-23-14, 08:37 AM
it is common practice for salvage yards to cut harnesses instead of disconnecting connectors
i think they do it for speed and to make sure they don't break the connector(s)

willysmooo
05-23-14, 10:01 AM
Ya, I was thinking maybe that's the reason that people would leave them on..I know everything I've gotten into has some kind of little trick...and lots of plastic clips etc. I am sure I will figure it out.

willysmooo
05-23-14, 07:47 PM
Ya, I was thinking maybe that's the reason that people would leave them on..I know everything I've gotten into has some kind of little trick...and lots of plastic clips etc. I am sure I will figure it out. Thanks....

Interesting story, and this place might be valuable for members here. So I ordered an amp off ebay last night, and when I woke up I figured I would call the biggest salvage place I know of. It's called www.schramauto.com (this is what might be valuable for members looking for STS parts) they deal with people all over the country, and have been around forever. So, they have my amp and it's $85 bucks. So I cancel the ebay purchase and I just left there. Unfortunately when I talked to the guy this morning he said "yup we have a bunch of those amps here" what he didn't tell me, is that they were at the store that's 1 1/2 hours away, (the other is like 15 minutes away). So because there was confusion, he will have it at the store by me on Tuesday at 8am for $65 bucks since I had to drive twice. But, the best part, and the part for other members is, that I said to him "if I could have one with the lowest miles on it" and he said " O, the one your getting has never been in a car, it's GM surplus from dealers that went out of business". I am getting a brand new amp for $65 bucks, and he said they have tons of parts like that...not to mention for those of you with cars that have some miles, and don't want to buy brand new stuff, they have craploads of parts for our car. Better to call them, because the website isn't accurate with inventory. 800-462-9292. I'm in metro Detroit, so they have lots of GM stuff that other states might not have.....

ddalder
05-23-14, 11:13 PM
I have purchased many items over the years from Schram Auto and I believe they are a very reputable business. I've always been very pleased with the quality of parts and the customer service they have provided.

detboy122
08-28-14, 08:48 AM
i have a 2005 sts radio went out all fuses are good

carter's_sts
08-28-14, 03:00 PM
Do you have a question? Sounds like you need a replacement.

EChas3
08-28-14, 08:12 PM
If you are very lucky, a reset will help. There is no mechanical On-off switch for any accessory on the STS; they all receive standby power. Pull the fuse or best move, do a full reset of the car's electrical system by disconnecting the battery, touching the cables together (or wait hours for all power supplies to drain) & reconnect.

The only system that ordinarily may require reprogramming is the Express Window feature. Unless you are sure your battery is good, go ask a trusted mechanic to do a load test. These cars need a battery in top condition.