: Two Radio Questions

SRX312
12-03-11, 01:40 PM
I have the new 2012 SRX. I cant figure out two pretty basic things about the radio operation. So I have
two questions. The first is...how do I turn the radio off while the Nav unit is in its up position? Or is the
radio always on...which I kinda doubt. When my Nav unit is up, I see the radio station info in the upper
left corner of the screen and I hear the radio sound. I can hit mute to mute the sound but then when I
turn the vehicle off and restart it...the sound of the radio comes on and I have to hit mute. I find it
irritating to have to hit mute. I would rather be able to turn the radio off. When I depress the select
button on the radio to try and turn the radio off, it turns my Nav off too. So, is there anyway to turn
the radio off and still have the NAV up and operating?

My second question is on the "seek" function. I press seek and the radio searches for the next station
and then stops searching. I would like it to keep searching station by station until I find one I like. I
dont want to hit the seek button 50 times. I want the radio to continually seek. All my previous
vehicle radios did this but I dont see anything in the manual for this feature on the SRX. Does anyone
know how to make the radio do a continual search (or seeking) of stations?

Thank you very much !!

TheCaptain
12-03-11, 01:45 PM
Answers: Yes, the radio is permanently on when Nav is active. Muting must then be done after every restart, OR you could just turn your Volume to 0.

The seek is supposed to stop when it finds the first available station. That's just the way it was programmed. (If I listened to terrestrial radio, I personally would hate the constant seeking.)

SRX312
12-18-11, 05:15 PM
Ugh !! I sure wish there was a way to turn-off the radio and let the NAV screen go up, stay on. I find it so irritating to hear the radio come on when I pull out of my garage and that NAV screen goes up. And I wish the seek function would keep searching for the next available station until I tell it to stop searching. That would be so much better than having to constantly hit the seek button dozens of times. I think these issues are design flaws in the radio. Other than that and the driver's seat which I find to not be comfortable (i.e, too little padding in the seat bottom)...I do love my 2012 SRX. Am I the only one irritated by these two radio issues? Has anyone found a way to work around them...other than of course hitting the mute button when the vehicle starts or holding the volume button down until the volume goes to zero ? I dont like hearing noise from that radio when I start the vehicle. I wish there was a way to turn it off and then be able to turn it on when I want it on vs. it going on automatically. Big design flaw. Cant turn the radio off. Ridiculous.

Trippy
12-18-11, 05:33 PM
Ugh !! I sure wish there was a way to turn-off the radio and let the NAV screen go up, stay on. I find it so irritating to hear the radio come on when I pull out of my garage and that NAV screen goes up. And I wish the seek function would keep searching for the next available station until I tell it to stop searching. That would be so much better than having to constantly hit the seek button dozens of times. I think these issues are design flaws in the radio. Other than that and the driver's seat which I find to not be comfortable (i.e, too little padding in the seat bottom)...I do love my 2012 SRX. Am I the only one irritated by these two radio issues? Has anyone found a way to work around them...other than of course hitting the mute button when the vehicle starts or holding the volume button down until the volume goes to zero ? I dont like hearing noise from that radio when I start the vehicle. I wish there was a way to turn it off and then be able to turn it on when I want it on vs. it going on automatically. Big design flaw. Cant turn the radio off. Ridiculous.

Put your radio on XM and set it to the lowest channel which emits zero sound. Perhaps that is worse than hitting "mute" but at least when you turn the car on, it will remember it was on that radio channel, return to it, and you won't have to hit mute. Hope that helps. :)

I had two previous Infinitis whose seek feature worked just as you desire. When you landed on a channel you liked, you pressed seek again and it stopped there. A lot less key presses were necessary to find what you liked.

I find it interesting how the user experience of different interfaces can make it or break it. You can get a college degree in human factors now, which is the study of this very type of thing. The only sure way to make it superior is to have lots of trials with real people. We use to do that with our software design at one company I worked for. Complete novices were turned loose on the first rendition of the user interface (UI) and observed from behind two-way mirrors and then surveyed afterwards. It was amazing to hear some of the insights presented by these users. It definitely made our UI better overall. But we did learn that no matter what you did, you couldn't please everyone.

GM, are you listening? :)

cvettr/cts-v
12-19-11, 12:50 PM
what you want is to scan not seek. Seek, seeks for the next. Scan, Scans and plays sample of all till you stop it. Unfortunately there is no scan feature. I don't find it necessary since i like and use satelite radio and therefore only need to use the sterring whell controls to change between the saved favorites. It is rare that i even chage the station at all.

rgalpaugh
12-20-11, 09:44 AM
It is a bit odd that an otherwise fairly sophisticated sound system lacks the basic scan feature that I've had on every radio I've owned since digital tuning has been offered. Maybe the next version will have the frequencies painted on the face of the radio and you'll position the pointer where you want it to play.

Jonkarn
12-20-11, 11:18 AM
Or big mechanical buttons that force the needle to the left or right preset station depending on which one you push. Does anyone remember that?

11RavenBlack
12-20-11, 02:49 PM
Or big mechanical buttons that force the needle to the left or right preset station depending on which one you push. Does anyone remember that?

I actually had one of those (taken out of an old Chevy Malibu Classic) until I cleaned out my garage last year. :histeric:

:pow-mia: Never Forget

TheCaptain
12-20-11, 10:47 PM
What the heck are you guys talking about... :cookoo:

Just kidding! I've seen those in a museum, or something like that...
:duck: :rofl:

budstrayhorn
01-14-12, 09:46 PM
2011 SRX radio would only come on when you physically pushed the button to on! NAV's would come up and function properly!

Everything worked great until I took the car in for the 7500 mile oil change.
After the oil change is when this problem started. Now when I start the car the information screen comes up, and the radio pops onto the first song stored on the hard drive.

The dealer says this is the way it is supposed to work! WHY DID THE RADIO NOT POP ON FOR THE PREVIOUS 3 MONTHS UNTIL I TURNED IT ON?

THIS IS THE BIGGEST ANNOIANCE I HAVE EVER HAD IN ANY VEHICLE I HAVE OWNED!

WHEN I WANT THE RADIO ON, I WILL TURN IT ON, NOT UNTIL!

HOW MANY CADILLAC OWNERS NEED TO COMPLAIN, UNTIL THIS GETS FIXED?