: Door Lock Sticking

DopeStar 156
11-05-04, 08:20 AM
My left back door lock on my '89 Brougham takes two presses of the power lock switch to either raise or lower the lock. At first I freaked out because I thought my door was stuck but this seems to be the only problem. I kinda aimlessly shot LiquidWrench into a crack in the side of the door with an attempt to hit the lock mechanism but nothing has changed. Even if I pull or push down on the lock it still takes more effort than the other three doors. Any suggestions?

carguy16
11-05-04, 03:03 PM
I had this problem, except it was the driver side door lock on a 2000 Ford.

Symptons included the door lock not locking/unlocking, or the lock stopping half way.

The lock had to replaced, works fine now.

brougham
11-06-04, 12:43 AM
Take the door panel off to see what's wrong with it.

ocjmakaveli
11-06-04, 01:54 PM
usually the door lock actuator a.k.a. the door lock motor which moves the lock up and down they never wear the same and you can usually find good ones at a junkyard.

depends if your sure no one or nothing could have damaged or obstructed the door lock metal coat hanger looking things from inside of the door and this has been a gradual thing then its surely the door lock actuator I had to replace all of mine on an 86 chrysler at first when i bought it i thought a fuse or something might've blown because none of them worked although you could hear a slight click none would go up or down but as soon as i replaced the motors with junkyard parts they started working again except for one..... which i didn't care for.

they were about $3 each but i took a couple freebies because 1 out of 3 didn't work lol in total i bought about 7 for my 4 doors you can also take a small 9v battery and test them in the junkyard i didn't think of this until i got home

DopeStar 156
11-06-04, 10:47 PM
Cool, It seems to be working fine now because I Liquid Wrenched it two weeks ago but I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks!

brougham
11-07-04, 01:23 AM
If it's working better since you sprayed liquid wrench on it it's because it's sticking somewhere.

I got my Chrysler oil sprayed a couple days ago and it made the power windows work a lot better. The drivers window got really slow when it was almost all the way up and now it works perfectly! I was going to take it apart to see if it needed to be adjusted or greased up but now I don't have to :o It also made the power door locks work better on another one before so tomorrow I'll have to try them too.

barge master
11-07-04, 06:12 AM
Any time I take off a door panel, I soak all the mechanisms with oil. It makes the feel of the door latches and locks just like a new car.