: re:AWD OR RWD

mastadan20
12-02-11, 10:51 PM
hello, i have a 2006 STS4 but im not show how to tell if its AWD or RWD. any help???

ddalder
12-02-11, 11:06 PM
If it's an STS-4 it is AWD. The '4' means 4-WD.

mastadan20
12-02-11, 11:09 PM
ok thanks very much

dkozloski
12-02-11, 11:55 PM
My AWD STS said STS on the trunklid and not STS4. Look at the options list on the tag on the bottom side of the spare tire cover to be sure.

carter's_sts
12-03-11, 02:33 AM
How about look underneath and look for front axles.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

R3TRO
12-03-11, 02:58 AM
Take it to the desert, if you can climb the dunes you have a 4x4! ;)

Giddy
12-03-11, 06:10 AM
Take it to the desert, if you can climb the dunes you have a 4x4! ;)

Or to the airport and see if you have the flywheel option!!!!

Smiling Jack
12-03-11, 10:26 AM
Or to the airport and see if you have the flywheel option!!!!

What is a "flywheel option"?

Cadjiek
12-03-11, 10:43 AM
I think the flywheel option works in conjunction with the "flux capacitor".

Smiling Jack
12-03-11, 05:13 PM
I think the flywheel option works in conjunction with the "flux capacitor".

Got me !!!!!!

dkozloski
12-03-11, 06:42 PM
How about look underneath and look for front axles.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

The damn thing is so low you'd get mud on your hair.

carter's_sts
12-03-11, 10:35 PM
Not if you're bald. It is low though.

rics8
12-07-11, 03:45 PM
check you door and trunk tag, simple.

Smiling Jack
12-07-11, 11:35 PM
In my opinion the only sure way to tell is to look at the equipment.

Even if you can't look from underneath, you can turn the wheels all the way to lock on one side and have a peek (looking between the fenders and tires) at the back sides of the front wheels. You can see whether or not the front drive axles are present.

All of the other methods I've tried can give false indications.

The AWD is supposed to have a thunk badge that says "STS4", while the trunk badge on the RWD is supposed to say "STS," but dkozloski posted above that his AWD trunk badge says "STS," and my RWD says "STS4."

You could check the tire sizes on car and/or those indicated on the door sticker. The RWD comes standard with staggered tire and wheel sizes (wider tires and wheels in the rear, while the AWD comes standard with same size wheels front and rear. But they can probably both be ordered the other way as options. And over the years the tires and/or wheels are easily changed. My RWD has the original staggered wheel sizes, but it has the same size tires mounted front and rear. Go figure!

You could check the equipment code list on the sticker on the underside of the spare tire compartment cover inside the trunk. But it does happen that a missing or damaged cover gets replaced with a salvaged one still bearing the sticker from another car. The equipment list under the spare cover on my car indicates AWD equipment, but the car is a RWD.

ddalder
12-07-11, 11:46 PM
Sure, there is some possibility that you may be mislead by "STS" versus "STS 4" and some other criteria but I really doubt this is extremely widespread. A keen eye can also tell by looking at the front floor mats. They are different between the STS and STS-4. I have no problem relying on the RPO codes posted under the cover in the trunk. The reason GM prints the VIN number on the SPO label is so you can be sure it is for your vehicle.

Smiling Jack
12-08-11, 12:38 AM
Sure, there is some possibility that you may be mislead by "STS" versus "STS 4" and some other criteria but I really doubt this is extremely widespread. A keen eye can also tell by looking at the front floor mats. They are different between the STS and STS-4. I have no problem relying on the RPO codes posted under the cover in the trunk. The reason GM prints the VIN number on the SPO label is so you can be sure it is for your vehicle.

I forgot to mention that one. Apparently the front floor configuration can also give a false indication.

My car is, in fact, a RWD with the STS4 on the trunk badge and also with the front floor configuration of the AWD. The RWD floor mats did not fit it.

ddalder
12-08-11, 01:08 AM
I forgot to mention that one. Apparently the front floor configuration can also give a false indication.

My car is, in fact, a RWD with the STS4 on the trunk badge and also with the front floor configuration of the AWD. The RWD floor mats did not fit it.
Must say I'm highly suspicious. I would be very surprised to hear that GM used the body of an AWD, specifically designed to accomodate all the extra components associated with AWD, on a RWD build. I don't even know the correct body attachment points would exist for a RWD configuration. My best guess is someone supplied you mats and got them mixed up between AWD/RWD.

Smiling Jack
12-08-11, 01:16 AM
Must say I'm highly suspicious. I would be very surprised to hear that GM used the body of an AWD, specifically designed to accomodate all the extra components associated with AWD, on a RWD build. I don't even know the correct body attachment points would exist for a RWD configuration. My best guess is someone supplied you mats and got them mixed up between AWD/RWD.

Yeah, the "somebody" in question was the dealer. The supposed RWD mats that did not fit were returned and AWD mats have been ordered. I'll report what happens when they arrive !

Back to the point: All of these other indications as to RWD or AWD are indirect. The visual inspection is really easy to do and is definitive.

maiahsdad
01-02-12, 08:22 AM
I'm needing to purchase a new car. I'm torn between the 2003 Seville STS and later models. But it seems like the more I search, I'm only finding rear-wheel drive cars. I'm specifically looking for the STS models between 2005 and 2008. Were there any V8, front-wheel drive ones?

MacMuse
01-02-12, 08:32 AM
If you're looking for FWD, you'll need to look at the DTS units. STS is RWD or AWD only in the 2005+ models.

ogbuehi
01-02-12, 09:33 AM
Is AWD or 4WD? I notice some have made reference to both.

malatu
01-02-12, 01:08 PM
Is AWD or 4WD? I notice some have made reference to both.

The newer sts's are awd not 4wd. My understanding is there are differences in the two. You better let someone more versed explain specifics.

EChas3
01-02-12, 04:53 PM
All-Wheel-Drive refers to a full-time system with three differentials (center, front & rear) driving the wheels. Four-Wheel-Drive uses a selectable power transfer case and locking hubs without a differential, potentially dangerous on roads in good traction conditions.

ogbuehi
01-02-12, 06:17 PM
The newer sts's are awd not 4wd. My understanding is there are differences in the two. You better let someone more versed explain specifics.

Yeah, I know the difference, I was just curious which one was on Cadillacs. Thanks.

Jesda
01-03-12, 12:02 AM
Could always get a muffler shop to put it on a left and see for yourself :)

Smiling Jack
01-03-12, 09:55 PM
I just realized that I never followed up here to report on my actual configuration.

Will do shortly

----------

Yeah, the "somebody" in question was the dealer. The supposed RWD mats that did not fit were returned and AWD mats have been ordered. I'll report what happens when they arrive !

Back to the point: All of these other indications as to RWD or AWD are indirect. The visual inspection is really easy to do and is definitive.

As I posted a short time ago, I just now realized that I had never followed up here with the final info on the configuration of my car. I had followed up with a few interested members by PM and e-mail, and I simply forgot that I had not closed the loop here.

Following is the "stranger than fiction" truth:

My recently purchased 2006 V6 STS has the following conditions.

1. The badge on the trunk says STS4

2. The service equipment list on the spare tire cover in the trunk lists AWD-specific components.

3. The floor configuration in the front passenger area has the "hump" indicative of the AWD configuration.

4. The new floor mats when they arrived were OEM Cadillac parts, new in their original selaed packaging. Both the packaging and the part numbers on the mats themselves were clearly specific to only the AWD cars.

5. The new AWD-specific mat fit the front passenger floor perfectly. The salsesman re-confirmed that he was certain that the mats previously tried and which did not fit were for the RWD car.

6. The VIN on the dash plate agrees with that on the driver's door tire and wheel sticker. The original build sheet for that VIN shows only RWD components, and it shows the staggered wheel sizes that were specific to the RWD.

7. The driver's side sticker also shows the same staggered wheel sizes that were specific to the RWD.

8. The wheels now mounted on the car are the same staggered wheel sizes as shown on the door sticker.

9. The car is, in fact, RWD, and shows no signs of ever having any AWD equipment or of ever having been modified.

10. (You guessed it.) The VIN on the trunk service equipment list is different from the one on the dash plate, and the original build list for the VIN on the trunk service equipment list shows AWD and also all of the same equipment as is shown on the service equipment list.

11. The original build list for the VIN shown on the trunk service equipment list includes exactly the same equipment as on that list, including the AWD components.

12. The car actually has several other items of equipment specified on the trunk's service equipment list but not on the original build list for the dash plate's VIN, including heated seats, memory, 6CD changer, Universal Home Remote and performance brakes. The single notable exception to this is a sunroof. Sunroof is specified on the trunk Service Equipment list but not on the build list for the dash plate's VIN. The car does not have a sunroof, but it does have the controls in place for a sunroof.

The only explanation of this whole situation that makes sense to me is an "irregularity" in the factory in which the car was built with the RWD as specified on the build list for dash plate but completed on a vehicle originally slated for the other VIN.

Anyone have a better explanation?