: New Rattle - 2011 Luxury

etexlady
11-30-11, 01:56 PM
I have had a 2011 SRX luxury model on lease for approx. one year. About two months ago I started hearing a little rattle which seemed to be toward the the back of the car. I checked to be sure there was not some item in the trunk that was not secured and all was fine. Nothing in terms of trim, tailpipes, gas lid, etc. seems to be loose. I hear the noise usually if I hit a rough spot in the road or on my city's brick streets and occasionally on smooth roads. I can't describe the noise, it's not a "clunk", it's not very loud and the noise seems to happen only once at a time as opposed to continuously. Any ideas?

stevec5375
11-30-11, 06:30 PM
Sorry no. But I can add that this is typical of American cars.

Greg Franklin
12-03-11, 11:53 AM
Exhaust pipe? Check clearances.

TheCaptain
12-03-11, 12:39 PM
A trip to the dealer may be in order etexlady. Describe to them how and when you hear the sound, and about where its coming from, and they can have it repaired for free!

mm9351
12-04-11, 08:41 AM
I have the same model and year, and interestingly enough, I also experienced the same noise. I traced the problem to the cargo fence U-Rail system. Just move the rail to a different location on the rail where it sets up more securely, and be sure to lock down the securing knobs. You probably moved it a some point to accomodate a large package, and didn't re-secure the rails. I find the best location to stow the rail is approx. 3" from the rear seat. Problem solved! Let me know how this works for you.

etexlady
12-05-11, 10:34 PM
Thanks for the replies. I've been busy and am just now getting back to read them. Greg, I thought about the exhaust pipe first thing but they seem to be very secure and do not "wiggle" at all. The license plate is secure. I'll have to doublecheck the cargo fence system. I took it off the track a week or so ago to accomodate a large box. I can't recall if I set it back up again or not. Come to think of it, I have not heard the noise for the last few days so maybe it is related to the cargo system. Thanks for that idea. I'll let you know the outcome.

etexlady
12-09-11, 10:11 PM
Just an update. The cargo fence was was not the source of the rattle as I never put it back in place after taking it down to transport a large box. I had not heard the noise for several days but heard it again today. I guess a trip to the dealer is in my future.

Bejay
12-09-11, 11:39 PM
This may sound crazy, however I have heard others say this and the conclusion was gas in the gas tank. The way the tank is the gas will move and make a clunk sound. I have heard it on mine once in awhile in the short time I've owned it. May depend on how much gas is in the tank to get the "clunk".

Grizz262
12-12-11, 01:43 PM
I had the gas tank thumping, abd that has been fixed with the new tank install. However, this sounds like the other rattle I had a problem with, and that is the tailgate rubbing against the contact pads where it closes. Try putting some petroleum jelly on the pads and see if that doesn't quiet it down. One other place to look is if you have any objects in the rear seat arm-rest. That one drove me nuts for a few days.

Trippy
12-13-11, 06:52 PM
Be sure to check that you have your rear seat belt holders securing your seat belts. If you leave them off the belts, they will flop around and hit the plastic parts and make noise.

Razorecko
12-14-11, 10:35 AM
check the side impact airbag right behind the drivers side in the drivers side rear passeger section uptop by the window.

mm9351
04-25-12, 08:57 PM
Help! The dreaded squeak in my rear compartment is back. I stripped out the cargo fence, pull shade system, checked everything behind the carpeted panels, even in the wheel wells. Going to try the petroleum jelly on the pads...driving me nuts here too!

Denny41
04-26-12, 10:05 AM
I have the occasional rear compartment squeak in my 2012 and I believe it is in the attachment point in the pull shade system, on the passenger side. The squeak is very sporadic and if I remove the shade from its stationary position the occasional squeak is gone. When I put the shade back in place the squeak comes back. Not very scientific but......

mm9351
04-26-12, 07:55 PM
Thanks to all for the ideas...unfortunately nothing seems to work. Maybe a trip to the service dept. is in order?

sube5186
04-27-12, 07:50 PM
I had the most annoying rattle coming from the rear of the car almost since I took delivery. I only heard it when going over bumps. My service dept. has been more than accommodating. They tried everything you could imagine, stuffing insulation everyone. I kept waiting and eventually expecting them to say, "Look, we've done all that we can. You're just going to have to live with it." Kudos to them! They never did. I spent months crawling around the passenger compartment, cargo area and even underneath the car, all to no avail. The noise was definitely coming from the rear of the car, but it sounded like it was on the exterior of the vehicle. After over two years of frustration, this thread prompted me to take another look. So here I go again, with my trusty little flashlight, crawling around tapping everything I could think of to find the rattle. I finally found it. Would you believe it turned out to be the license plate rattling within its metal frame. There's a rubber strip mounted on the car under the plate to stop the plate itself from rattling against the rear hatch, but this does nothing to prevent the plate from rattling within the frame. After mounting foam tape along the entire inner perimeter of the plate frame, viola, no more rattles. What makes the whole thing so bad is that I was the one who installed the stupid frame in the first place. The dealer had nothing to do with it. As you could imagine, I wanted to kick myself!!!

Sube

sube5186
04-30-12, 12:10 PM
Well, it seems I spoke too soon. The license plate frame was only "part" of the problem. The rattling is much better, but still present and emanating from a different area. Looks like the dealer will be doing some more investigating during my next service visit. :nono:

Sube

mm9351
05-01-12, 09:53 PM
Well, it seems I spoke too soon. The license plate frame was only "part" of the problem. The rattling is much better, but still present and emanating from a different area. Looks like the dealer will be doing some more investigating during my next service visit. :nono:

Sube

Please let us know the outcome of your visit; thanks and good luck!

sube5186
05-01-12, 10:22 PM
Please let us know the outcome of your visit; thanks and good luck!

Will do. But I won't be taking it in for awhile. I refuse to endure the inconvenience of making the trip to the dealer and getting a loaner for a rattle. I'll get it checked the next time I'm in for something else.

Sube

embassy
05-04-12, 07:39 PM
I am probably the rattle expert on here. For all but one of my 15 trips to the dealer, a loud annoying rattle has been included on my list of things to be fixed. Some have already been mentioned, but to summarize things to look at:

1. Loose roof liner clips. Either loose or you may find one or two actually pulled out. All of mine had to be replaced as the original ones kept coming loose or popping out when going around corners or over bumps.

2. The rear license plate frame is a source of rattle. I felt quite stupid about that one, but the service advisor thought that the design was not great and hadn't thought of it himself.

3. In the spare tire storage area are a couple of "black boxes". Not sure what they do, but the bolts holding them in place can come loose and cause them to rattle.

4. The plastic pass through divider behind the rear seat armrest. This has come loose twice on mine.

5. The actual rear seat armrest has come loose on mine.

6. The rear door window channels - both have vibrated loose on my vehicle and had to be re-tightened.

7. Cargo rail hold downs. (Proud that I found this one myself and fixed them).

8. Gas tank issue.

9. The side impact airbag right behind the drivers side. This can occur by itself or in tandem with rattling roof liner clips.

10. Loose front seat (not bolted properly down).

I have found that in the SRX it is very tough to find the source of the noise. What you think is coming from the rear can actually be coming from say the passenger side.

mm9351
05-05-12, 10:07 AM
I am probably the rattle expert on here. For all but one of my 15 trips to the dealer, a loud annoying rattle has been included on my list of things to be fixed. Some have already been mentioned, but to summarize things to look at:

1. Loose roof liner clips. Either loose or you may find one or two actually pulled out. All of mine had to be replaced as the original ones kept coming loose or popping out when going around corners or over bumps.

2. The rear license plate frame is a source of rattle. I felt quite stupid about that one, but the service advisor thought that the design was not great and hadn't thought of it himself.

3. In the spare tire storage area are a couple of "black boxes". Not sure what they do, but the bolts holding them in place can come loose and cause them to rattle.

4. The plastic pass through divider behind the rear seat armrest. This has come loose twice on mine.

5. The actual rear seat armrest has come loose on mine.

6. The rear door window channels - both have vibrated loose on my vehicle and had to be re-tightened.

7. Cargo rail hold downs. (Proud that I found this one myself and fixed them).

8. Gas tank issue.

9. The side impact airbag right behind the drivers side. This can occur by itself or in tandem with rattling roof liner clips.

10. Loose front seat (not bolted properly down).

I have found that in the SRX it is very tough to find the source of the noise. What you think is coming from the rear can actually be coming from say the passenger side.

Thanks embassy for the comprehensive review for potential sources of sqeaks / rattles/ etc. Can you provide additional details on # 6 and #9. The noise on my SRX appears to be coming from that location, but I'm not sure what to look for. Did you peform the repairs on both, or did the dealer intervene? I've already investigated / was aware of most others. I must admit, that plastic panel pass thru / latch in the rear seat armrest, item #4, is sub-par from a quality standpoint. How did you repair that (aside from removal?) :)

Thanks in advance for your reply!

embassy
05-08-12, 02:37 PM
Thanks embassy for the comprehensive review for potential sources of sqeaks / rattles/ etc. Can you provide additional details on # 6 and #9. The noise on my SRX appears to be coming from that location, but I'm not sure what to look for. Did you peform the repairs on both, or did the dealer intervene? I've already investigated / was aware of most others. I must admit, that plastic panel pass thru / latch in the rear seat armrest, item #4, is sub-par from a quality standpoint. How did you repair that (aside from removal?) :)

Thanks in advance for your reply!

All my rattles have been looked after by the dealer under warranty. If GM is going to give me a warranty and they don't take care to ensure that the quality is there, then they can fix it and pay for it.

The right rear window channel was a real bear to troubleshoot. The rattle actually sounded like it was coming from just behind the drivers seat. It wasn't until I had my wife sit in the backseat that we were able to determine that it was coming from the right rear door. Even with her sitting beside it, she thought that is was coming from behind her. Dealer fixed it under warranty - if I remember the N/C invoice it was something like 1.8 hours to diagnose and another 1.2 to fix.

The side impact airbag on the B pillar on the drivers side was also another bear to troubleshoot. It has rattled on and off since I hit about 1000 km, but with all the rattling coming from the loose roof liner, it was not until the roof liner was fixed that this one could be tracked down. It sounds like metal on metal, but is not constant. It was particularly annoying when the temperature was colder and would go away when the inside of the vehicle heated up or the outside air temperature got above 10C. The dealer basically put some sort of insulation in the void around the air bag and it has been good every since. There was a post on this forum a while back by someone who actually took some pictures with the weather stripping pulled away around the B pillar. They had the same problem.

I don't actually know what the dealer did to fix the plastic pass through coming loose. I am concerned that this will happen again.

westham
11-12-13, 02:19 PM
I took my 2010 Lux to the dealer today due to the rattle/squeak coming from the passenger side rear of the car, I figured it belonged to the replacement fuel filler pipe installed yesterday as the first time I had heard it when I drove away from the dealership yesterday.
I took the tec for a quick ride around the block and he agreed there was a noise which was loudest between 30 and 40 mph, he said it was not coming from the filler pipe he fitted yesterday but coming from the back seat, I have made an appointment for the car to return to the dealership tomorrow to try and get this annoying rattle/squeak taken care of. Hope they can solve it.:(

Cadillac Cust Svc
11-12-13, 10:24 PM
Hello westham,

Please keep us informed on your dealership visit. I do hope the issue will be quickly resolved for you. Let us know at any time if further assistance is needed!

Jessica (assisting Laura)
Cadillac Customer Care

I took my 2010 Lux to the dealer today due to the rattle/squeak coming from the passenger side rear of the car, I figured it belonged to the replacement fuel filler pipe installed yesterday as the first time I had heard it when I drove away from the dealership yesterday.
I took the tec for a quick ride around the block and he agreed there was a noise which was loudest between 30 and 40 mph, he said it was not coming from the filler pipe he fitted yesterday but coming from the back seat, I have made an appointment for the car to return to the dealership tomorrow to try and get this annoying rattle/squeak taken care of. Hope they can solve it.:(

retcad
11-13-13, 12:55 PM
I find that many rattles/squeaks often disappear of their own volition. If you live in a cold climate, you may notice these annoyances due to the natural expansion and contraction of metal, hinges, rubber, etc. If it's something major that goes on for several days and is bothersome, by all means have it checked. Trips to the dealer are also time consuming and annoying. Often, in an effort to correct a problem, another is created. In the long run, taking a 'wait and see' on the small stuff often works out for the best. Good luck!

westham
11-13-13, 04:16 PM
I find that many rattles/squeaks often disappear of their own volition. If you live in a cold climate, you may notice these annoyances due to the natural expansion and contraction of metal, hinges, rubber, etc. If it's something major that goes on for several days and is bothersome, by all means have it checked. Trips to the dealer are also time consuming and annoying. Often, in an effort to correct a problem, another is created. In the long run, taking a 'wait and see' on the small stuff often works out for the best. Good luck!

Hi retcad,
Thanks for your advice, yes sometimes these rattles do come and go, my SRX has been at the dealers for the past 6 hours and no call to come and pick it up yet, they did give me a 2013 SRX loaner with 1,270 miles on it and more bells and whistles than my 2010 has got so I can't say that I'm put out at all !!

westham
11-14-13, 04:00 PM
Well all is now well, The dealer discovered what and where the rattle/squeak was coming from and fixed it, it was coming from the rear seat frame assembly which was loose (bolts) they partially removed the seat to re secure properly. :-) :cool2:

Cadillac Cust Svc
11-15-13, 12:44 PM
Well all is now well, The dealer discovered what and where the rattle/squeak was coming from and fixed it, it was coming from the rear seat frame assembly which was loose (bolts) they partially removed the seat to re secure properly. :-) :cool2:

Hi westham,

Thank you for keeping the thread updated on your situation. I am glad your dealer was able to locate the rattle/squeak and was able to resolve this concern for you. Enjoy driving your SRX around! If additional questions arise, don't hesitate to contact us.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

dmurphy
11-17-13, 09:01 PM
It's not a rattle, per se, but I'm finding that the adjustable cargo fence makes some weird clunks when I hit a bump. I've taken it down and stowed under the cargo compartment lid for now. At least I think it's the fence.

I do also agree that the plastic pass-thru door is cheap cheap cheap! By far the flimsiest part of the interior.

Cadillac Cust Svc
11-19-13, 10:56 AM
It's not a rattle, per se, but I'm finding that the adjustable cargo fence makes some weird clunks when I hit a bump. I've taken it down and stowed under the cargo compartment lid for now. At least I think it's the fence.

I do also agree that the plastic pass-thru door is cheap cheap cheap! By far the flimsiest part of the interior.

Hello dmurphy,

Have you experienced this clunking noise after you have stowed the adjustable cargo fence? If you would like any assistance working with a dealership to look into this concern, I would be more than happy to assist. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to me via private message if you would like to further discuss your concern.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

dmurphy
11-19-13, 03:19 PM
Hello dmurphy,

Have you experienced this clunking noise after you have stowed the adjustable cargo fence? If you would like any assistance working with a dealership to look into this concern, I would be more than happy to assist. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to me via private message if you would like to further discuss your concern.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

Not a worry; I've been traveling for work since I stored the fence so I can't tell you if it's still happening or not. If it is, I'll have the dealer address it when it goes in for its first oil change - not worth the time to make a separate trip 'just' for that. Thanks!

stevec5375
11-19-13, 03:54 PM
To show you how quickly GM threw the SRX redesign on the lots of dealerships, those of us that bought the 2010 have the tracks for the adjustable cargo fence, but we never got the actual fence. Now that's quality!

Cadillac Cust Svc
11-19-13, 04:48 PM
Not a worry; I've been traveling for work since I stored the fence so I can't tell you if it's still happening or not. If it is, I'll have the dealer address it when it goes in for its first oil change - not worth the time to make a separate trip 'just' for that. Thanks!

Hello dmurphy,

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my post! Please keep me updated when you take your vehicle in for the first oil change as to if the dealership is able to address the issue! You can always reach out to Laura or myself if you would like any assistance working with them as well. Iíll be on the lookout for your future updates!

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care