: Check engine on,unable to read codes

Big Windy Ext
11-29-11, 10:42 PM
My check engine icon came on today and check stabitrack came on and turned off last night . I went to Autozone to find out what codes are being set,the handheld unit wouldn't turn on,the guy checking it said I have lost the 5 volt signal voltage on my OBD port. I have an appointment set for Thursday w/my dealer,but I'm curious to know what would cause this.I'm under the GMPP warranty and it seems many things aren't covered and I hate surprises .

hcvone
11-30-11, 07:16 AM
I believe there is a fuse for that, I remember someone else I believe on this site with the same issue not too long ago

Delta
11-30-11, 11:29 AM
should be your cigarette lighter fuse in the underhood fuse block. It wont be covered by GMPP, so you should replace that before going to the dealer

and I'm pretty sure it's a 12v, not a 5.

SouthernCaddy
11-30-11, 05:22 PM
I think the port is 5v, you may have a broke wire or something else. Check the wires above the front drive shaft also. Heard alot of these had rub thru marks on them. Also check the plug yourself to see if it has any fire to it. I had to buy a new scanner to check ours because my old one would not check it.

99ssconv
11-30-11, 09:07 PM
fuse 53 in the underhood fuse block for the cigar lighter. auto guy doesnt have a clue. the obd port is power by 12 volts not 5 volts. when someone plugs something into the cigar lighter and pops the fuse that is what you get, no communication with obd port

Big Windy Ext
12-01-11, 03:59 AM
Thanks ! I will check the fuse.

Big Windy Ext
12-02-11, 08:09 AM
Thanks for the heads up on the fuse,the cig lighter was blown . I didn't have time to take my vehicle to Autozone and check the codes but everything was covered under warranty . TPM in front passenger side tire and canister purge solenoid.It just was in the shop last week for an exterior handle,not usually covered by GMPP but goodwilled and a driveline clunk when put in reverse or sometimes de-accelerating,they threw a letter on my seat from GM citing cumulative build-up of driveline parts wear, so no action on that complaint .This thing is more high maintenance than a nympho super model,not that I would know anything about that lol.