: GMX550 lockpick ?s

The Rex
11-29-11, 12:26 PM
I'm debating purchasing the GMX550 lockpick for my 07 EXT. My main concern is damaging or interfering with the trucks electrical system or control modules. It's a factory Nav/Bose system with an amp/sub added. Any issues I need to prepare for and/or be wary of? I have the factory back-up cam, & definately want to keep that as well. Also, is it as "plug & play" as advertised, or is there cutiing/splicing required? I'd rather not install it than endanger the electricals, or cause more problems than it's worth, but if it works as claimed, it seems like the way to go.

So, for those who have it, what's the concensus?

K9Caddy
11-29-11, 12:41 PM
It is plug and play, but their products are "buggy" as all hell! I just have the Gen 6 lockpick and it seems to work when it wants to. I can't believe after several different variations and updates throughout the years, they can NOT get these right.

tomm
11-30-11, 06:44 PM
They have fixed many of the issues with the first releases. I have had 4 returns on the GMX-550's out of the 150+ we sold.

ELUSIVE
11-30-11, 06:47 PM
It does what it does which is pretty cool, so I wouldn't exactly take mine out to return it...but I was expecting so much more.
It definitely has some issues though.

krieghoff
11-30-11, 11:05 PM
I installed a VCIM and the GMX-550 in my 2008 ESV. I wish I would have put the VCIM in along time ago.

The GMX-550 works just like they said it would. The only thing I don't like about it is everytime I want to use my GPS or iPod I have to push the mute button 4 time to turn things on.

I wish it was setup so you could set it once and it was always on when you started the vehicle.

tomm
12-01-11, 12:12 PM
The problem is the GXM-550 Lockpick (http://www.bestradardetectors.net/GMX550-GM-Lockpick.html) and other lockpicks is to use the locked features you have to tell the navigation unit that you are parked and not moving and therefore you cant run navigation when the lockpick is activated because you wont move on the map. There really is no way around this so you cant do both at the same time. Personally for me when I need Navigation and playback at the same time I use my smartphone for navigation and I find it to actually work better then the factory navigation.

The Rex
12-02-11, 05:40 PM
My main reason for wanting the lockpick is so dvds will play while driving, & the ipod interface.

So, the system acts to factory parameters unless the lockpick is activated each time the vehicle is started?

felixgun
12-02-11, 08:45 PM
Lock pick sucks. I got one installed in my avalanche and escalade and regret both. If I could do it again, I'd get nav tv.

quattrotman
12-05-11, 01:32 AM
Lock pick sucks. I got one installed in my avalanche and escalade and regret both. If I could do it again, I'd get nav tv.

What specifically did you not like?

hannity
12-05-11, 02:04 AM
They have fixed many of the issues with the first releases. I have had 4 returns on the GMX-550's out of the 150+ we sold.

Thank you for the input, I have been following lock pick for sometime and was debating installing it. I have enough issues already and don't want to add to it. Looks like there will be no lock pick for me, thanks again for the feedback.

hannity
12-05-11, 02:16 AM
felixgun, I guess this is the way to go. I was looking at a site a few months ago that did these installs. I can't find the site, but I found a vid of a quick demo on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODspd8PwpMs

felixgun
12-05-11, 10:45 AM
What specifically did you not like?

First off the most important is the sound quality. The fact that you hear a tinny/static-filled sound when listening to music from your iDevice is bullshit. I have this (unfortunately) installed in two vehicles and it does it in both. I also troubleshot the issue by using a factory auxiliary (headphone jack) cable to test the same songs/music on both my iPhone 4 and iPod Classic. The song sounds crystal clear when using the aux cable and then I play it again using the lock picks 30pin dock connector cable (which is way too bulky and unnecessarily thick in diameter btw) and it literally sounds like garbage and I can't even listen to one whole song without shaking my head in disappointment. I also had one of the lock picks break on me (the one in my avalanche) within 40 days of purchase which cause my factory nav screen to black out and show nothing until the lock pick was removed. So I paid $60 to put it in, then another $30 just to remove the damn thing, then have to pay for return shipping to the 3rd party vendor that sold it on amazon (net electronics) which btw is NOT helpful and quite rude. I had to file an "A-to-Z Guarantee" claim on amazon just to get him to send it. The installer that professionally installed and un-installed it for me sold the lock pick at his store and notified me that the reason my factory nav screen quit working was bc of the dead lock pick unit. I tried explaining this to the 3rd party vendor and they said "oh ok well to get an exchange for this you will have to get it RE-installed (I had just got it un installed since I couldn't even use my screen since the lock pick caused it to not even turn on) and troubleshoot the issue with Coastel Tech (the lock picks manufacturer). They said that once Coastel tech gave the "ok" that it was truly broken THEN they would exchange it. This was after I repeatedly told them that a pro audio install shop that sold the unit themselves told me that MY unit was dead and caused all the problems my vehicle was having and that once removed- everything worked again. To sum it up, Coastel tech sucks. They make a buggy shitty product that they should've tested further before putting it out in the market. I regret spending $600 on shitty hardware and $150 (two installs and one un-install) in labor fees to deal with this shit. I give this unit and their maker a 3/10 only bc the concept is awesome but their product is flawed. Plus if you turn on nav in motion your actual navigation arrow will be thrown for a loop and will display the wrong global positioning. That is bullshit that you have to turn it back off just to use it. And anytime you want to use the lock pick you have to press mute on your steering wheel four times followed by the " > " button. That is just plain aggravating to do EVERY time you want to use it. I thought since the gmx 550 had been released after several lock pick versions that it would be less buggy but I was wrong. Dead wrong. I unfortunately jumped the gun by buying two of these shitty units at the same time. Bad product. Bad manufacturer. Bad third party vendor. Bottom line: DO NOT buy this piece of shit. PLUS I hear nav tv does all of this AND has Bluetooth (not sure but that's what the install guy at the shop told me... And that it works like its supposed to). If you guys have anymore questions about it let me know. I'll be glad to fill you in on this lame product.

felixgun
12-05-11, 10:46 AM
My main reason for wanting the lockpick is so dvds will play while driving, & the ipod interface.

So, the system acts to factory parameters unless the lockpick is activated each time the vehicle is started?

YES! How lame is that?! Had I known I would've never bought it... Much less two of them.

StevieT
12-05-11, 03:49 PM
Activating it for me is not a big deal, as I understand how the lock pick works to override the GM BS.

What sucks is the crappy, really crappy audio quality. Tomm is coastal aware of this?

GizmoQ
12-06-11, 03:16 AM
I think I may have a NavTV module laying around somewhere in my basement.

quattrotman
12-06-11, 03:27 AM
First off the most important is the sound quality. The fact that you hear a tinny/static-filled sound when listening to music from your iDevice is bullshit. I have this (unfortunately) installed in two vehicles and it does it in both. I also troubleshot the issue by using a factory auxiliary (headphone jack) cable to test the same songs/music on both my iPhone 4 and iPod Classic. The song sounds crystal clear when using the aux cable and then I play it again using the lock picks 30pin dock connector cable (which is way too bulky and unnecessarily thick in diameter btw) and it literally sounds like garbage and I can't even listen to one whole song without shaking my head in disappointment. I also had one of the lock picks break on me (the one in my avalanche) within 40 days of purchase which cause my factory nav screen to black out and show nothing until the lock pick was removed. So I paid $60 to put it in, then another $30 just to remove the damn thing, then have to pay for return shipping to the 3rd party vendor that sold it on amazon (net electronics) which btw is NOT helpful and quite rude. I had to file an "A-to-Z Guarantee" claim on amazon just to get him to send it. The installer that professionally installed and un-installed it for me sold the lock pick at his store and notified me that the reason my factory nav screen quit working was bc of the dead lock pick unit. I tried explaining this to the 3rd party vendor and they said "oh ok well to get an exchange for this you will have to get it RE-installed (I had just got it un installed since I couldn't even use my screen since the lock pick caused it to not even turn on) and troubleshoot the issue with Coastel Tech (the lock picks manufacturer). They said that once Coastel tech gave the "ok" that it was truly broken THEN they would exchange it. This was after I repeatedly told them that a pro audio install shop that sold the unit themselves told me that MY unit was dead and caused all the problems my vehicle was having and that once removed- everything worked again. To sum it up, Coastel tech sucks. They make a buggy shitty product that they should've tested further before putting it out in the market. I regret spending $600 on shitty hardware and $150 (two installs and one un-install) in labor fees to deal with this shit. I give this unit and their maker a 3/10 only bc the concept is awesome but their product is flawed. Plus if you turn on nav in motion your actual navigation arrow will be thrown for a loop and will display the wrong global positioning. That is bullshit that you have to turn it back off just to use it. And anytime you want to use the lock pick you have to press mute on your steering wheel four times followed by the " > " button. That is just plain aggravating to do EVERY time you want to use it. I thought since the gmx 550 had been released after several lock pick versions that it would be less buggy but I was wrong. Dead wrong. I unfortunately jumped the gun by buying two of these shitty units at the same time. Bad product. Bad manufacturer. Bad third party vendor. Bottom line: DO NOT buy this piece of shit. PLUS I hear nav tv does all of this AND has Bluetooth (not sure but that's what the install guy at the shop told me... And that it works like its supposed to). If you guys have anymore questions about it let me know. I'll be glad to fill you in on this lame product.

Yikes! Thanks for the reply and your honest input. I'm kinda regretting buying the gmx550 now. I'm confused, I come to furums to get honest feedback about this kind of stuff and almost everything I read about the lockpick here was positive. So I buy one and literally the next day this post comes up and I read this negative stuff. Damn! I haven't recieved it in the mail yet but I wanna return it now.
Have you other lockpick users also had issues like this? Particularily with the ipod sound quality? I first just wanted it for the dvd in motion but I thought I'd just pay the extra $100 and get the ipod functionality because the wires coming out the AUX terminals in the back looks ghetto. Now I'm reading the sound quality is awful. What the hell? :confused:

hannity
12-06-11, 07:02 AM
Yikes! Thanks for the reply and your honest input. I'm kinda regretting buying the gmx550 now. I'm confused, I come to furums to get honest feedback about this kind of stuff and almost everything I read about the lockpick here was positive. So I buy one and literally the next day this post comes up and I read this negative stuff. Damn! I haven't recieved it in the mail yet but I wanna return it now.
Have you other lockpick users also had issues like this? Particularily with the ipod sound quality? I first just wanted it for the dvd in motion but I thought I'd just pay the extra $100 and get the ipod functionality because the wires coming out the AUX terminals in the back looks ghetto. Now I'm reading the sound quality is awful. What the hell? :confused:

That is the main reason why I appreciate this forum. No matter what there will always be loyalists who deny problems and stand fanatically behind something. Then there are the others who spend their hard earned money on a product and satisfied or not will give their honest feedback. Forums like this where we can talk with actual owners are the best way to review products/vehicles. Just wish I found this forum before purchasing my escalade.

K9Caddy
12-06-11, 07:15 AM
Hannity- Shame on you for not doing your research! ;) Best of all, you went over the top and purchased the most expensive PLATINUM too!! Lol Sorry, I can't help but laugh at your posts and all the hate and discontent you have for Cadillac. I guess if I was in your shoes and had your money, I'd trade my POS in for a MB GL550. No pun intended! ;)

Anyway, the lockpick is a big pile of shi$t, I do agree with you there. However, I think for the sake of your own sanity and maybe some happiness in life, just get rid of that big pile of crap you drive!! ;) Later...

krieghoff
12-06-11, 08:34 AM
I installed the GMX-550 in my 2008 ESV and it sound fine to me.

The only thing I don't like is the fact that everytime I start the ESV I have to do the mute button thing 4 times. I wish I could set it and it stayed that way.

tomm
12-06-11, 05:08 PM
Activating it for me is not a big deal, as I understand how the lock pick works to override the GM BS.

What sucks is the crappy, really crappy audio quality. Tomm is coastal aware of this?

I have sold well over 100 of these and I have not had one customer complained about the sound quality. We do get complaints all the time about having to activate and deactivate it when you want to use GPS but there is no way around this. The navigation unit is programmed to automatically lock when it senses you moving. In order for the lockpick to unlock the locked functions it needs to tell the Nav that you are not moving and therefore you can not move along on the map and have unlocked menu's at the same time. No product can do both.

I don't own an Escalade yet.. (Still Shopping for one) but when I do I can do extensive testing but I have personally installed them in a few Esclades and Tahoe's and no one has complained about the sound quality.

felixgun
12-06-11, 05:45 PM

I too read nothing but positive threads and reviews about the gmx550 lock pick... That's why I immediately bought TWO and had both installed at the same time. The audio qualities and buggy features of the lock pick happen in BOTH of them... Not just one. I WISH someone had posted a true review about this unit before I jumped the gun and spent $800 to taint two of my vehicles with this garbage which I now highly regret. I'm a stickler for sound quality and now to listen to my iPod/iPhone, I'm back using an aux cable... I'm glad you read my thread though so now at least you can return or exchange it for something that doesn't out right SUCK. Literally the only good thing about this is the idea. The execution is shit.

felixgun
12-06-11, 05:47 PM
I installed the GMX-550 in my 2008 ESV and it sound fine to me.

The only thing I don't like is the fact that everytime I start the ESV I have to do the mute button thing 4 times. I wish I could set it and it stayed that way.

What audio medium are you using? Surely not the 30 pin dock connector that comes with it?

krieghoff
12-06-11, 05:55 PM
Yes I am using the connector that came with it. Works fine for me.

StevieT
12-06-11, 10:34 PM
Sound Data from tonight's test:

iPod connected to GMX-550 No EQ control on iPod

Song One

128 kbs
OK quality, only small amounts of static

Song Two

64 kbs
Bad sound quality

Song Three

128 kbs
Bad sound quality

Song Four

Up-Converted per Coastal
320 from 128 kbs
Terrible sound quality

Song Five (all podcast series the same)

320 kbs
Good sound quality

iPod connected to 3.5mm jack into rear aux ports, white and red. No EQ control on iPod

Song One

128 kbs
Good sound quality

Song Two

64 kbs
Good sound quality

Song Three

128 kbs
Good sound quality

Song Four

Up-Converted per Coastal
320 from 128 kbs
Ok, sound quality. Can hear small amounts of static

320 kbs
Good sound quality

Conclusion:
It's not Bose. As the same signal goes through the system from two areas. The rear AUX is fine but through the GMX-550 is when you get the static.
While using the iPod EQ in the rear AUX it didn't matter what setting you had, good clear sound. Using the EQ on the GMX goes from one static to more static to slightly less.
You can not up-convert a song. It's like taking a Geo Metro, stretching it and expecting it to be a pick up truck. The original song file has it's max data and stretching it out makes it worse.

Possible Solutions:
Coastal improve their product, lol
Download only at 320kbs
Turn the EQ to Bass Reducer. main screen > settings > music > EQ > Bass Reducer
This will reduce the static dramatically. You will loose bass, not all but it will be noticed. It is also a pain because when you take the iPod out of the truck you will want to switch it back to your preference or to off.

quattrotman
12-07-11, 03:26 AM
That is the main reason why I appreciate this forum. No matter what there will always be loyalists who deny problems and stand fanatically behind something. Then there are the others who spend their hard earned money on a product and satisfied or not will give their honest feedback. Forums like this where we can talk with actual owners are the best way to review products/vehicles. Just wish I found this forum before purchasing my escalade.

True that!

hannity
12-07-11, 07:10 AM
True that!
:thumbsup:

tomm
12-07-11, 07:51 PM
Sound Data from tonight's test:

iPod connected to GMX-550 No EQ control on iPod

Song One

128 kbs
OK quality, only small amounts of static

Song Two

64 kbs
Bad sound quality

Song Three

128 kbs
Bad sound quality

Song Four

Up-Converted per Coastal
320 from 128 kbs
Terrible sound quality

320 kbs
Good sound quality

iPod connected to 3.5mm jack into rear aux ports, white and red. No EQ control on iPod

Song One

128 kbs
Good sound quality

Song Two

64 kbs
Good sound quality

Song Three

128 kbs
Good sound quality

Song Four

Up-Converted per Coastal
320 from 128 kbs
Ok, sound quality. Can hear small amounts of static

320 kbs
Good sound quality

Conclusion:
It's not Bose. As the same signal goes through the system from two areas. The rear AUX is fine but through the GMX-550 is when you get the static.
While using the iPod EQ in the rear AUX it didn't matter what setting you had, good clear sound. Using the EQ on the GMX goes from one static to more static to slightly less.
You can not up-convert a song. It's like taking a Geo Metro, stretching it and expecting it to be a pick up truck. The original song file has it's max data and stretching it out makes it worse.

Possible Solutions:
Coastal improve their product, lol
Download only at 320kbs
Turn the EQ to Bass Reducer. main screen > settings > music > EQ > Bass Reducer
This will reduce the static dramatically. You will loose bass, not all but it will be noticed. It is also a pain because when you take the iPod out of the truck you will want to switch it back to your preference or to off.

You cant convert 128 kbs back up to 320 kbs you will not regain what is lost when it was originally compressed down to 128 kbs. Here is a question for those of you with sound issues. What is the source of the file? Is it a legal copy downloaded from iTunes? Or a hacked copy downloaded on a torrent site? I am curious if you see this with legit files or only bootleg files with lower compression ratings which tend me to a much lower bit rate.

paperchase4life
12-08-11, 12:13 AM
I had a few (gen 5 and 6).... both very buggy. sometimes they worked sometimes not. Usually took turning the truck off then back on to get it working correctly. I got rid of them and got the Ipod interface... it works 98% of the time. Sound is decent if you rip your own. I would have to agree that you lose quality with this, but it is better than any FM transmitter by far. Just use a good quality ripper, download only high kbs. Thing I do notice is that Itunes is not the best neither. I think it plays some part in the quality.
I have a zune and a Ipod. When I had a zune interface, songs were very clear...no static. I was using mp3 format and ripping my own. I changed the setup to the ipod because I wanted control through the factory deck.
So, it's give and take. I would not send that much just for dvd sound and Ipod interface.. too buggy.. go with the ipod interface only.. $100 bucks (probably find one cheaper on ebay).. decent (definitly not perfect) sound.

(not knocking itunes all you apple lovers... but ...)

just my 2cents.

StevieT
12-08-11, 05:48 PM
You cant convert 128 kbs back up to 320 kbs you will not regain what is lost when it was originally compressed down to 128 kbs. Here is a question for those of you with sound issues. What is the source of the file? Is it a legal copy downloaded from iTunes? Or a hacked copy downloaded on a torrent site? I am curious if you see this with legit files or only bootleg files with lower compression ratings which tend me to a much lower bit rate.

There is only a sound issue when running through the lockpick at 128 kps. If you play it directly through the vehicles AV jack there is no sound quality issue. Why is that?

felixgun
12-09-11, 03:55 AM
There is only a sound issue when running through the lockpick at 128 kps. If you play it directly through the vehicles AV jack there is no sound quality issue. Why is that?

Exactly. I'm glad you are on the same page as me. The same song that sounds like shit through the lock Pick sounds great through an aux cable.

StevieT
12-09-11, 04:26 PM
I was just testing more 320 kps songs today on a drive. They sound good, not great, still that static when the bass hits. Adjusting the EQ is the only way, lockpick sucks at being a MP3 jack

The Rex
01-03-12, 01:51 PM
Thanks for all the replies.

The "bugginess" issues are more risk than reward for me. I've already had rounds with electrical gremlins in Caddys.
Not fun.