: is 218 hot?

low caddy
11-04-04, 05:50 PM
:hmm: hi everybody my 99 deville new to me,after reading all the threads now im getting worried about the over heating thing with the (n) motor and have been checking the temp in different conditions and have noticed that in city traffic 80 degres outside ,its running at 218 moving it goes down to 201 i have had it on the turn pike running 90 mph and smooth and quite but did not check the temp but it did not over heat the car has 51000 miles and is clean ,but after reading about the timeserts and head gaskets makes me wish i didnt give my daughter my 86 fleetwood so should this 218 be something to worry about seems to me the aluminium motor should be running alot cooler but thats just my two cents and im new to the (n) motor thanks for your input . :hmm:

Adam
11-04-04, 05:56 PM
uhh, youre in the wrong section. try the FWD Deville and Fleetwood section. :D

LCLCLC
11-04-04, 06:31 PM
Are you running in the 'auto' A/C mode or 'Econ'?

If in Econ, then the A/C is not running. The fans will not come on until the temp hits about 220 or 225. My 97 comes on at about 222 and cools down to about 205, then the fans go off again.

I bet you are in Econ mode - if so, then 218 is about right. The car is working as designed. Don't worry about this temp.

If you are in Auto mode, the A/C is running, and the fans are running. Generally, the car will run cooler than if in Econ mode. The fans will keep the temp down below 210 most of the time. Now if it is extremely hot, running up the mountain, etc it may run hotter. The 'experts' on this board say to never worry unless it moves above 250.

Spyder
11-04-04, 06:42 PM
Mine runs at 207 on the highway, and around 223 in town, with stop and go driving. Two eighteen is nothing to worry about.

low caddy
11-04-04, 07:08 PM
thats good news ,thanks people i did not know these cars run this warm .and sorry about being in the wrong section hope this has not inconvienced anyone :cookoo: