: Dead battery at 480 miles.....

Greg Franklin
11-28-11, 07:26 PM
Our new SRX was a no-start today after 480 miles! Got it started and the dealer replaced the battery. They should, of course, but the service at my dealer was first class. Nice to have a good word to say about a dealer...... :-)

smiley47
11-29-11, 10:57 AM
Sorry to hear about the battery but glad it was replaced promptly. This is the first dead battery issue I recall seeing for a 2012. There was a slew of battery problems on the early 2010 models.

paid4c4
11-29-11, 11:15 AM
Thats just the type of thing I worried about when we took our X with 410 miles on an 1105 mile trip. We were lucky and had nothing but a great time while riding in a great car. Batteries can be fickle, your's died at 480 miles but yet our 50th Anniversary Corvette made in August, 2002 still have the original battery, go figure.
Bill

Marc NY
11-29-11, 12:04 PM
Thats ... Batteries can be fickle, your's died at 480 miles but yet our 50th Anniversary Corvette made in August, 2002 still have the original battery, go figure.
BillWOW ... unless you are holding out for a world record that is a loooong time for a stock battery to be around. I would strongly suggest that you consider replacing it next spring for it will almost be 10 years old. You are very lucky for most batteries are only good up to 5-6 years tops.

My 04 SSR still has the original battery in it and I am contemplating changing it this coming year. One doesn't want to be caught stranded for it will cost you valuable extra time and probably extra money to replace it then... preventative maintenance is the word to the wise. :)

paid4c4
11-29-11, 05:46 PM
WOW ... unless you are holding out for a world record that is a loooong time for a stock battery to be around. I would strongly suggest that you consider replacing it next spring for it will almost be 10 years old. You are very lucky for most batteries are only good up to 5-6 years tops.

My 04 SSR still has the original battery in it and I am contemplating changing it this coming year. One doesn't want to be caught stranded for it will cost you valuable extra time and probably extra money to replace it then... preventative maintenance is the word to the wise. :)

The secret to my battery life is the fact I use a Battery Tender on all our cars. The battery in our 1959 Ford Convertible had ten years on it when I replaced it. I do intent to replace the Corvette's battery in the spring, mean while it's on life support (Battery Tender) for a long winter's nap.
Bill

stevec5375
11-29-11, 06:52 PM
The secret to my battery life is the fact I use a Battery Tender on all our cars. The battery in our 1959 Ford Convertible had ten years on it when I replaced it. I do intent to replace the Corvette's battery in the spring, mean while it's on life support (Battery Tender) for a long winter's nap.
Bill

I used to do the same thing on my SeaDoo during the winter. It kept the battery from having to be replaced each summer. But I drive my car too much to need to bother with one for it. Good idea for those who have the means to park a car all winter and drive an alternate vehicle.

Marc NY
11-30-11, 11:33 AM
BillI also use a battery tender for my SSR during winter storage. :)

SIDE NOTE: My first winter storage for my SSR I forgot to turn on the battery tender after I hooked it up and my battery ended up completely dead in the spring time on me... and I have those automatic drop down windows when you open and close the door and it was a bear trying to open the door. :banghead:

*Man oh man did I get a tongue lashing from all my SSR fanatic friends when I told them that story on our website! :bomb: :histeric:

HJ2012
04-27-12, 03:11 PM
My 2012 SRX is at the dealer right now, yesterday they towed it out of my garage at 750 miles. They say there is nothing wrong, and they have recharged the battery. Should I be concerned?

MacMuse
04-28-12, 01:08 PM
Sure. Be sure to save all the paperwork related to the incident. If your battery has been fully drained by some event then it stands a good chance of repeating. You'll need good documentation on hand to get a dealer to properly recognize a recurring issue (if it turns out to be such an issue) and achieve a good service result.

In the meantime, enjoy the ride but make sure you notice things like the dome and exterior lights shutting off as expected after you exit the car that might indicate an unusual drain on the battery. Wouldn't hurt to check the Voltage display on a regular basis and establish what appears to be normal ranges so you can recognize an unusual value in that display.

HJ2012
05-06-12, 05:46 PM
I picked up my 2012 SRX on 4/27, after the dealer fully recharged the battery. I asked for the paper work and was told it would be mailed to me. It has now been over a week now. I was told to unplug my radar detector evertime I leave the car, or any devices. This is a pain in the...

daddie2k3
05-07-12, 05:00 AM
Why would you have to unplug anything if all chargers stop work when you exit the car other than the one by the hatch and I'm sure you are not using that one for your radar...

Likely
05-07-12, 12:23 PM
To HJ2012

It sounds to me like the dealer is trying to cover up something by not giving you your paper work when you picked up the vehicle. I had a dead battery on my 2010 with 95 miles on it. I forced the dealer to give me a new battery. The problem turned out to be a bad fuse box below the battery. You might have the dealer check that. The life of your battery, if it was really dead has been reduced by 50% for sure. Go for a new battery, if not you will be back there again getting the same treatment you got the 1st time!!!

Likely

sube5186
05-07-12, 12:57 PM
Why would you have to unplug anything if all chargers stop work when you exit the car other than the one by the hatch and I'm sure you are not using that one for your radar...

Precisely! This type of advice goes to show some of these dealers don't even know the cars they sell. If they did, they'd know that all of 12V outlets, with the exception of the one in the rear cargo area, shut off with the ignition. I leave my cellphone's power cord plugged into the outlet in the center console ALL OF THE TIME. Never had any drain or other problems. The LED on the plug itself glows red whenever the outlet is hot. Of course, this varies with different makes and models, but on our car it's off whenever the car's off.

Sube

----------

It sounds to me like the dealer is trying to cover up something by not giving you your paper work when you picked up the vehicle.

Likely

This could be possible, but not necessarily. My dealer sometimes mails me the invoice if they're really busy and/or the paperwork is lengthy. Of course, I'm referring to free warranty work. I would never pay for any work without carefully examining the completed invoice FIRST.

Sube