: 2011 STS Nav question - new owner

chinorider
11-28-11, 04:24 PM
My wife and just took delivery on a 2011 STS. Very nice but we tried the Nav system last night and while it gave good directions, we were put off by the fact that the voice direction did not tell us where to turn.... just "Turn Left" or "Turn Right". I would have thought it would tell us where to turn. "Turn right at next street" or "Turn left on Central Avenue". Is there an upgrade or option setting that allows the voice system to give more complete directions ??

Thanks

MacMuse
11-28-11, 06:33 PM
After the 'Turn L/R...' warning, listen for a beep sequence. You'll get 1 beep, then shortly after that a double beep.

The single means it's almost time to turn.

The double means you better be turning the wheel by now!

I treat the final spoken 'Turn L/R' as an instruction to turn on the turn signal.

EDIT: I'm basing this on my '06 Nav system, the 2011 version may operate differently.

malatu
11-28-11, 08:42 PM
Also, along with the beep(s), mine has a scaled vertical bar that visually shows you how far you are away from your next turn. I find it to be helpful. It's definitely not one of the most easy systems to use, but once I learned to take advantage of its offerings, I'm ok with it. I'd like to say, "I love it", but all I can say is, "it's ok".

chinorider
11-28-11, 09:52 PM
Also, along with the beep(s), mine has a scaled vertical bar that visually shows you how far you are away from your next turn. I find it to be helpful. It's definitely not one of the most easy systems to use, but once I learned to take advantage of its offerings, I'm OK with it. I'd like to say, "I love it", but all I can say is, "it's ok".

To macmuse...thanks for that info about the beeps. I am sure that will help a lot.

To malatu... We noticed the vertical bar and that is also fine but if we are driving in a congested area (like downtown Los Angele) I really don't like taking my eyes off of the road even for an instant. Too much can happen real quick.

Thanks to both members for their replies.

EChas3
11-28-11, 09:55 PM
The HUD makes this easy. I keep the Nav audio off.