: should I spend the extra dough on a 05+ sts over a Seville sts

torchred'10
11-28-11, 03:17 PM
Hey I dont know if I should put this in the seville forum or here, but basically I am currently driving a mustang and love the car no intentions on selling my mustang however living in chicago it is getting old driving my nice red mustang all through out the winter and getting it all dirty and fish tailing every corner over the ice, not that I have a problem getting around in my car in the winter I have just came to the point where I want a dedicated winter car I want a northstar caddy as a winter car I would prefer the 05+ RWD sts being I am a RWD guy but that being said I am working on a budget here and the cheaper entry prices of the FWD Seville STS/SLS's(or possibly a deville if optioned right.) are appealing to me.

So basically I know the 05+ are better cars especially performance wise but are is there enough of a difference in terms of reliability to warrant me to spend a little more on a RWD STS over an older FWD model? I have my mustang pretty modded up so I am really looking for a cruiser with nice looks and a smooooth ride and could careless about performance for what I need out of this car.

My father has a 2003 STS and I do really love that car my mom has a 2007 CTS so I have an idea of what the 05+ sts's are like.

mckellyb
11-28-11, 04:44 PM
If you've driven both of your folk's cars, which one did you like, better?

The CTS is a smaller version of the STS, mostly.

IMO, the old, FWD STS will be a better winter car, and is more of a cruising machine. It's not a performance slouch, but it's not the same as the RWD platform.

malatu
11-28-11, 05:33 PM
My first response would be, "absolutely"! If your looking just for a winter car, you might want to consider a the awd. I have the six cyl awd.... it ain't a northstar, but it suits me just fine. The first time I drove it, I was pleasantly pleased at it's pick-up. If I was going to get something just for the winter, a rear wheel drive would not be first on my list. With that said, many folks on this board seem to have good luck with the Blizzaks on their rwd cars. Good luck!

torchred'10
11-28-11, 05:37 PM
well its hard to compare a Seville STS to the cts FWD V8 vs RWD V6 totally different machines. Granted that V6 is a gem of an engine, but I think I would prefer the STS V8 (RWD) to the seville I'm just wondering basically if the older sevilles are reliable enough compared to the newer cars, I know that I would have to give up some performance notably in the handling and braking departments but that doesn't really bother me. I know that the FWD N* engines are notorious for cylinder head gasket failures but I have heard that the RWD N* this was corrected, I believe it was to do with the VVT in the RWD N* that caused the engine to heat up less? I do know my fathers N* gets extremely hot and is now burning a quart or two of oil between oil changes but that car has hardly been driven since 2007 or so., I'm far from a mechanic but I've heard that from multiple service guys at my dealership about the VVT helping with the engine not overheating, but my thinking is that maybe the RWD has a little more space then in the cramped trans-axle of the seville. I also hear that the Front drive N* have been known to launch transmissions. I am starting to think economically the STS might make more sense just from the fact that I don't want to have a car that I'm going to have to pour tons of cash into to keep running.

but if I get a seville I could probably take a few G's that I'd save and turbo charge my mustang. hehe. :thumbsup:

MacMuse
11-28-11, 05:37 PM
The '05+, especially a V8 version, requires relatively new A/S tires or winter tires.

Any original tires should be replaced immediately for winter driving

torchred'10
11-28-11, 06:01 PM
do the 05+ STSs come with summer tires?

EChas3
11-28-11, 09:59 PM
My wife had a '98 Seville STS for 5 years. The Sevilles are great looking and performing FWD cars. Winter driving is no trouble at all.

But IMHO, FWD's are inadequate as performance cars. The 2005 & up STS aren't as roomy or 'cushy' but they are outstanding handling cars. The RWD's require snow tires in Winter and even the AWD's need better than the OEM Michelins.

In Summer, an STS will run circles around a Seville, but if you're looking for a Winter car I think you'll be happier in a Seville and you'll save some money, too.

johnny-cash
11-28-11, 10:16 PM
I have both. The seville is more comfy then the sigma (05+current). Gas mileage is worse on the 06 i have. You can drift the 05+...Ive had about the same amount of complements on both. more room in the seville according to me. Idk its hard to say but if i had to pick which one to keep i would keep the 06 cause of the modern looks of it thats it.

MacMuse
11-28-11, 11:42 PM
do the 05+ STSs come with summer tires?

The default tires were just all season, and not all that good in my opinion. My car was 2.5 years old w/less than 30K when I bought it. The tires couldn't hold traction in rain, and snow was a disaster waiting to happen.

I put Blizzaks on for my second Chicago winter with the car after barely surviving the first. the difference was shocking.

mckellyb
11-29-11, 06:51 AM
Re: winter tires

If you live where it snows regularly, dedicated winter, i.e. snow, tires are more important than AWD.

IOW, snows on RWD > "all season" on AWD

"All season" tires are not good at anything but holding air.

corvette00
12-01-11, 09:07 AM
rwd sts ranks with a corvette as one of the worst cars on snow even with blizzaks, go for the 03.

Smiling Jack
12-01-11, 03:05 PM
rwd sts ranks with a corvette as one of the worst cars on snow even with blizzaks, go for the 03.

Anyone here have an opinion based on their own experience as to whether the AWD STS is any better ?

malatu
12-01-11, 05:05 PM
Anyone here have an opinion based on their own experience as to whether the AWD STS is any better ?

I've driven many a rear wheel drive with snow tires and even studded snow tires. I've driven front wheel drive cars in the snow for 20 years or more. This is my first awd. Based on my experience.... there's no contest. Of the cars I've driven in the snow... the awd is by far the best in the snow. That's not to say, a rear wheel drive sts with appropriate snow tires can't be driven in the snow. I'll go so far to say the awd not a little better in the snow...but a lot better in the snow. Particularly if you live on a hill and have to start out from a dead stop.

Greg00coupe
12-01-11, 08:28 PM
I had an 00 and now a 05 rwd N. It is also my winter car as I have a Corvette I drive 70% of the time. So with your Mustang I'd suspect performance is not your goal, you got the stang for that. It's been many years since I had RWD. It's quite a shock in the snow. I get around but have short distances and we don't get overwhelming snow. Yea snow tires help but I'd suggest maybe 200#s in the trunk.

I think between the 2 cars it comes down to looks, what you like better. I did like my 00, never had any issues, somethings I miss it but the styling was dated IMO.

malatu
12-01-11, 08:56 PM
If money is no issue and of course it always is, get the car you will enjoy driving more. You'll be driving it all winter .... correct? I assume we are talking 3 or 4 months? You only live once and when you're dead.... your dead for a long, long time!

EChas3
12-01-11, 08:56 PM

I drive both regularly. The OEM Michelins (with moderate wear) were inadequate on wet (or worse) roads for both cars. With decent tires, the AWD simply won't be stopped. A RWD with snow tires won't have trouble, either. Braking really isn't a problem but snow tires will naturally provide the best traction for stopping both cars.

If you see snow more than three times a year and can't stay at home when you do, you've got a decision. For the convenience of All-Season tires, get an AWD. RWD's do really benefit from snow tires in Winter as well as Summer tires in warmer weather.

Besides, alternating tires twice a years maximizes wear and ensures the tires are always balanced.

torchred'10
12-11-11, 09:24 PM
Well guys I found a 3.6 1st gen CTS at a good enough price that I couldn't resist it obviously RWD I'm picking it up tomorrow, its red on tan and first thing thing I'm doing is getting some winter tires

EChas3
12-12-11, 09:28 PM
Congratulations! Enjoy!