: 1,105 Mile Trip Report for 2012 SRX

paid4c4
11-27-11, 06:42 PM
We picked up our 2012 SRX/AWD Premium Edition the last week of October and had 410 miles on it when we started our trip November 15th. We were traveling from Northern Kentucky to Baltimore, Maryland for a ten day cruise aboard RCCL’s Enchantment of the Seas. The round trip from home to Baltimore and back home was 1105 miles. While I didn’t like starting an 1105 mile trip with a new car I didn’t have a choice, so off we went! The SRX was a dream to drive and to ride! I’ll report on the different aspects of our SRX. Handling; Great, tracks straight and holds the road without having to make constant corrections. You don’t feel road bumps or holes in the road in the steering wheel. Power; Great, the 3.6 L engine provides smooth power and maintains speed without being heard or noticed. Transmission; Great, shifts smoothly and works flawlessly, no aggravating down/up shifting. I used the ECO mode for the entire trip.
Ride; Like a Cadillac! The seats are comfortable and with heat and cool air with bolsters and adjustments make the seats like being home in a recliner. I also think the 20 inch Michelin tires and performance suspension contribute to the ride. After driving 530 miles I wasn’t tired, achey or stiff, I could have driven a couple hundred more miles.

I found the headlights, windshield wipers and mirrors to work well and made the drive more enjoyable. The rain sensing wipers work well and I liked them. The Navigation system worked great, much better than my 2009 Infiniti FX. It’s easy to program, easy to understand and easy to follow. The Nav system was dead on with the directions allowing me to glide up to the front door of the Hyatt at Baltimore’s Inter-Harbor. The audio system worked well allowing me to listen to the oldies on XM the entire trip. The rear luggage area is well designed and roomy allowing me to put four large pieces of luggage and two backpacks in the rear compartment.

I thought the Economy was terrific. I used cruise control most of the time and usually had it set on 74. Several times while driving without cruise control I Iet it roll to 80-85 a couple of times. At 72 mph it’s turning 2,000 RPM. The total mileage for the round trip was 1,105 miles and used a total of 48 gallons of regular unleaded fuel giving 23.1 miles to the gallon. Considering it’s a new engine I thought 23 MPG with two passengers and a load of luggage to be good mileage.

When I started this journey I didn’t know if I was going to miss my Infiniti FX or if the SRX would win out. Well there is no doubt the Cadillac SRX won in almost all areas!
I’ll answer any questions please ask.
Bill:thumbsup:

MnMs
11-28-11, 06:52 AM
How was the ten day cruise

paid4c4
11-28-11, 08:43 AM
How was the ten day cruise
The cruise was wonderful, it was our 57th cruise and our second from the Port of Baltimore aboard the Enchantment. The weather was great in the Caribbean with minimal sea movement. My worst day on a cruise beats my best day at work.
Bill

Marc NY
11-28-11, 09:11 AM
Sounds like you enjoyed your new SRX! I glad hear that your experience was so great ... :dance:

Thanks for sharing your first trip impressions with all of us.

Hope you have many more satisfied miles with your new ride! :D

Jonkarn
11-28-11, 12:25 PM
I currently lease a 2008 Infiniti EX35 and I'm now looking to lease the 2012 srx Luxury w NaV. Since you also came from the Infiniti brand, I was curious about your comparisons and opinions of the 2 cars. I know the EX is smaller than the FX you came from, but the engine is the same, and the quality and performance is very similar in a smaller package. I love my Infiniti, but the poor lease MOney Factor for the 2011/12 EX is horrible, and my monthly payments would be $90 more /mth for the same car I have now(from $470-560)
, so I have been shopping around.

I love the Infinitis engine and sporty drive, plus the cabin is great and fits like a glove. What can you say to someone like me who is looking into switching? Would you switch back if given a choice, and how is mileage( I average 20mpg with aggressive driving 70% highway.)

The last American car I owned was a 1986 Plymouth Tourismo(aka Duster), and I've owned a Hyundai Tiburon, leased a Saab 93(GM product), and an Infiniti EX35, in that order. I like cars that are different, and I am now leaning towards luxury with gadgets and sporty performance(Lexus too boring)

How is the new 3.6 V6? I drove the old 3.0 as well as the new 3.6. How is passing power with the new torque? This car is 400lbs heavier than mine so I am curious about power and handling.

Hopefully you guys can help me out and dispell any fear I have in leasing a GM product(Saab was so-so) and switching from a great Japanese car to the SRX AWD Luxury with Nav.

Thanks!

TheCaptain
11-28-11, 02:36 PM
Good to hear paid4c4! I've got trading mine in on a '13 on my mind... :D

paid4c4
11-28-11, 07:40 PM
Jonkarn, I'll answer several of your questions; Yes I would buy another Infiniti product however I have no regrets about moving up to an SRX. The torque and power are close to that of my FX and the fuel economy is better with the SRX. I got 23.1 on my last trip. With regards to dealing with a GM Dealership just make sure you pick a good one and hopefully one with a good customer relationship record. So far I've found the post bankruptcy GM Dealers to have a different attitude which is greatly improved.
Good Luck with you future lease.
Bill

stevec5375
11-29-11, 05:58 PM
I currently lease a 2008 Infiniti EX35 and I'm now looking to lease the 2012 srx Luxury w NaV. Since you also came from the Infiniti brand, I was curious about your comparisons and opinions of the 2 cars. I know the EX is smaller than the FX you came from, but the engine is the same, and the quality and performance is very similar in a smaller package. I love my Infiniti, but the poor lease MOney Factor for the 2011/12 EX is horrible, and my monthly payments would be $90 more /mth for the same car I have now(from $470-560)
, so I have been shopping around.

I love the Infinitis engine and sporty drive, plus the cabin is great and fits like a glove. What can you say to someone like me who is looking into switching? Would you switch back if given a choice, and how is mileage( I average 20mpg with aggressive driving 70% highway.)

The last American car I owned was a 1986 Plymouth Tourismo(aka Duster), and I've owned a Hyundai Tiburon, leased a Saab 93(GM product), and an Infiniti EX35, in that order. I like cars that are different, and I am now leaning towards luxury with gadgets and sporty performance(Lexus too boring)

How is the new 3.6 V6? I drove the old 3.0 as well as the new 3.6. How is passing power with the new torque? This car is 400lbs heavier than mine so I am curious about power and handling.

Hopefully you guys can help me out and dispell any fear I have in leasing a GM product(Saab was so-so) and switching from a great Japanese car to the SRX AWD Luxury with Nav.

Thanks!

As a one time Nissan and two time Infiniti owner, let me sum it up for you...If you simply MUST have a Caddy, I'd wait until 2014 if possible. That new CUE system is going to be bug-ridden just like the new Gen 2010 was. I'd wait it out and let someone else endure the headaches. But that's me. Other people like to be early adopters of new tech and put up with the bugs. I used to be like that but have gotten older and wiser--especially since I bought the 2010 in a moment of weakness. ;)

b4z
12-25-11, 07:30 PM
Just for comparison purposes we just did a 1200 mile trip in our 11 CTS 3.0l and got 25.5 mpg cruise was set at 80mph but we did go quite a bit faster for some hours.
Our '04 Tahoe gets 16.3mpg.
Wish I could get a suv that go do 23mpg.

paid4c4
12-25-11, 08:11 PM
Heres a 2300 mile report on our 2012 SRX. It's still going great no problems, runs great to be honest I don't miss the FX at all. The ride of the X is superior and I hope this makes sense its just plain fun to drive. I'm averaging 18.5 mostly city driving and 23.5 on the road. This mileage is getting better as the engine breaks in, I hope it doesn't stop. So far there isn't anything I hate about the X, I would like a better backup camera and sound system. I knew what the Bose was when we bought the car so that is a small complaint, "no highs, no lows it must be Bose!" All in all I love the X and would buy another in a heart beat.
Bill

drjdan
12-26-11, 11:35 PM
Is the Eco Mode an extra cost addon? I have a 2011 Premium FWD and it does not have the Eco Mode button. I see in the manual the reference to it. I only have two buttons on the right side. It looks from what I can tell in the maunal that the third is the Eco Mode. I though I had a fully equiped car but I must have missed something.

paid4c4
12-26-11, 11:58 PM
I don't know about the eco mode as an option other than to say its on our 2012 SRX.
Bill

drjdan
12-27-11, 12:57 AM
Is you eco button on right of gear shift? Do you have three buttons on that side? Is your car US or Canada?

Jonkarn
12-27-11, 09:08 AM
By the way you must be driving pretty conservatively to get that fuel economy. I have a very heavy foot that gets about 17-19mpg highway 15-17 city, although when I drive conservatively I can get 21. I feel like I would need to have it on cruise set to 70 to get above 21mpg. Then again, my 35 mile route to work has its fair share of hills on route 80west in north NJ.
As a side note, the highway torque of this car is smooth and very strong 60-90, pulls forever and up hills. It's the standing start that is weak and revs noisily with nothing happening. I keep it in manual mode a lot bc it holds 1st gear too long and doesnt really accelerate. It's Once you hit 4th gear when the good stuff happens. Anyone else agree?

TheCaptain
12-27-11, 10:34 AM
I would say the 3.0L is low on torque in the low end of the RPM band. Below 4000 it doesn't really do much, once above, then it starts pulling!

Jonkarn
12-27-11, 10:59 AM
That seems to be the exact opposite of the 3.6. More even power distribution below 4000. Strong 3-4000 low end torque. The quicker i can shift to 4th the happier I am. Power without all the noisy rpms. Way slower than My Infiniti 0-60, but once it's cruising about 60-70 I think it's faster and has stronger passing power while staying at a quiet/smooth RPM range. Infiniti has some crazy 2 gear noisy downshifts when you try to pass on highway, but 1st-3rd gears are fun and fast!