: northstar engine several issues--need major help

indyladygeek
11-26-11, 07:35 PM
Ok, so I bought a 1999 Cadillac sls at the auction and guess what....yep, head gasket going bad. So this is what has happened so far. Can drive about f miles till it overheats, then upon cooling, maybe another mile...this went on for a couple of days. I ordered dura seal as a temp fix since I can't afford a new head gasket, but yesterday before it came, my car had overheated and then wouldn't start. I was told that it could be hydro-locked so I pulled the spark plugs (the five i could find) and tried to spin the water out...nothing came out. So then I was told that there was water in the oil so I needed to drain the oil and replace it...so I did. I also changed the one bad spark plug I found.....also when I had had it towed home yesterday for the overheating problem and since it wouldn't start, I pulled the battery and fully charged it. So now everything comes on and the battery is fine, but it still won't start. I also drained the radiator and filled it with fresh water and some antifreeze. The engine turns over but just won't catch to start....please oh please tell me what I need to do to get this started so I can at least attempt the dura -seal. I don't have any money for repairs right now and it is my only transportation. Here's a run down again:

overheating...with last time it came on said check oil level and change oil (the oil had been changed on Monday)
battery died...has since been recharged
spark plugs pulled, cleaned and one bad one replaced
oil drained and replaced
radiator drained and refilled

please oh please give me some pointers.....thank you

Ranger
11-26-11, 09:00 PM
DO NOT put that snake oil in the engine. It won't help and will only clog things up for when you do the repair correctly. Then you'll also be replacing the radiator, heater core and God knows what else.

Pull the DTC's. See the DTC sticky if you need help. Then post the codes AND their definitions.

Might also want to check your fuel pressure at key on.

89falcon
11-27-11, 12:03 AM
any chance you can sue for fraud?

How much did you pay? Hopefully not much more than $1000

Submariner409
11-27-11, 09:56 AM

When you buy a car at auction, you buy it "where is, as is". The trick is to be an expert tire kicker, know what you want, and walk the lot before you even start.

Ranger
11-27-11, 12:23 PM
Yeah, buying a car from an auction is guying a pig in a poke. They're usually there for a reason.

Another '99. :helpless:

indyladygeek
11-27-11, 01:30 PM

I only paid $900

indyladygeek
11-27-11, 01:50 PM
i know I got screwed at the auction, I just need help now to get unscrewed.

Ranger
11-27-11, 02:00 PM
I don't know what kind of prices you have gotten (if any) to have it repaired, but I know of two people in the Chicago area that will do it for about $2000. That's a pretty good price. Based on your name I am guessing you are near Indianapolis?

indyladygeek
11-27-11, 02:39 PM
Yes Indy, but don't have $2000, would just like to get it to start at this pont

ternstes
11-27-11, 09:21 PM
Pull codes and check for fuel pressure like Ranger said. If you can get the car to Cincinnati I would fix it for you, but if you have no money for repairs it will be tough to keep this car running. Fix it right, that gasket seal stuff will not work long term.

89falcon
11-28-11, 01:38 AM
i know I got screwed at the auction, I just need help now to get unscrewed.

$900? if the body is straight and the interior is good, you probably paid about market for a car with a bad HG.....and if you get it fixed RIGHT, you'll have a car that is much nicer than anything else you can get for $3000

Mark D
11-29-11, 03:26 PM
I'd like to mention, if you do get it running you really don't want to be driving it around. The problem is only going to get worse. Also, you aren't doing the engine any good either. Supposedly you can drive the Northstar engine without coolant for a short distance, but I wouldn't want to try it on a car I own. From the numbers I read, you can repair the car and not be in it over your head. If you can find a way to do it, that's the best way to go.
My opinion only
Mark D.