: brake pump pressure hose

Harry Yarnell
11-26-11, 02:01 PM
My newly acquired '91.
Brakes are hard as rocks (no boost), so I applied 12 to the pump and within 1-2 seconds, the hose going from the pump to the MC, blew.
Now, how do you remove this hose? Looking at it quickly, it looked like a brake fitting type of connection just an 1" within joining the pump and MC, but brushing the diry away, I see no hex ferrel, it's just round. How do you get this hose apart?

carnut
11-27-11, 09:54 AM
If I remember, a hollow bolt passes thru the center of the connection with copper crush washers on either side like most european fuel line connections.

Harry Yarnell
12-02-11, 07:52 PM
Well I got a new hose assy made up by a hose builder in Baltimore, but the brakes are still rock hard (no boost). The pump runs for about a minute from overnight sitting, and comes on for 5-10 seconds when the brake is applied. There is no ongoing BRAKE dash lamp.
Any ideas?

carnut
12-02-11, 10:16 PM
The electric pressure pump is weak. The ideal run time is approx 30 seconds. Did you review the DIY on allantesource.com regarding ABS diagnosis? I went thru 2 rebuilt?? pumps before a low mileage original fixed my hard pedal.

Harry Yarnell
12-03-11, 11:37 AM
...but wouldn't the BRAKE lamp illuminate if the pressure is low? I'll try to cobble a fitting and pressure gauge to the bleed port and see what it is. Hope I have a gauge that goes high enough. Book says something like 1500#.

Harry Yarnell
12-04-11, 02:23 PM
Hooked up a pressure gauge to the bleed port, and it pegged (500#) after 5 seconds of running the pump. It was the highest pressure gauge I had. More testing is required; I'll try to find a higher pressure gauge.

carnut
12-04-11, 03:46 PM
Did you do the diagnosis on wwwallantesource.com?