: TPMS Re-Learing Tool

MnMs
11-25-11, 07:06 PM
I understand that when you rotate your tires that it becomes necessary to match the tire pressure sensors to the TPMS and that a special tool is needed. Where can I purchase a DIY style TPMS re-learning tool for a 2012 SRX?

MnMs
11-25-11, 09:23 PM
I found this procedure for relearning the TPMS in the 1st gen CTS section will it work on a 2012 SRX ?

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/tprepro.html

classiccars
11-26-11, 09:54 AM
From what I understand, that is the way to "relearn" the TPMS sensor. The first step may be a little different. (Getting the vehicle into the learn mod.)

MnMs
11-26-11, 10:04 AM
Thanks for the info classic. I also installed new TPMS sensors and the owners manual states that to pair the new sensors with my 2012 SRX TPMS it is necessary to purchase a so called "re-learning tool". I am going to try letting the air out first. Then I will let this forum know.

MnMs
11-26-11, 03:05 PM
Here is the skinny, letting out the air will NOT work period if you installed NEW TPMS sensors on a 2012 SRX. They will need to be registered to the vehicle via a required initialization by a dealer. Or purchase a re-learning tool that range in price from $20 to over $600 which is why many tire shops do NOT have TPMS re-learning tool.

bwclemons
11-27-11, 09:25 AM
The relearning tool is for their convinence and is not necessarly required. The tool makes it fast for a dealer to relearn the tire positions with out adding or removing pressure.Your premium coverage should cover having the TPMS programed to each corner. They must have changed the procedure for the 2012 cars because I can change my regular tires and wheels for my snows and do the procedure in my owners manual and it works every time. I have a 2011.

bwclemons
11-27-11, 10:04 AM
I just read the procedure you used for the CTS and it is not the proper procedure for our cars. Here is the procedure: Start your car. go to the tire pressure page in the information page. press the end of the turn signal stalk until the horn sounds twice. Go to the front drivers side tire and add or remove air for 5sec. stop and wait until the horn honks once. Press the end of the turn signal stalk once, move to the passenger side front and add or remove air for 5sec stop and wait for the horn to sound once. go back and press the end of the stalk once and move to the passenger side rear and do the same procedure, press the stalk and finally move to the left rear and add or remove pressure for 5sec when your done the horn will honk twice. your done. Shut off the car and now go back and bring the tire pressures to 35psi and your ready to go. Remember you need to complete the learning procedure within 2min or you will need to start over. This procedure is in your owners manual that is in your car on page 10-66 to 10-67. The manual on line is different than the one in your car.

MnMs
11-27-11, 03:16 PM
Hate to disagree with you. But the above procedure will not work on 2012. Starting with Late 2011 Model Year GM vehicles and all vehicles build after that point will support just one TPM relearn procedure - the Dealer Procedure. Or the purchase of a learning tool. Is anyone familar with the Relearn Tool (EL-50448) sold by SPX for about $60 ?

I just read the procedure you used for the CTS and it is not the proper procedure for our cars. Here is the procedure: Start your car. go to the tire pressure page in the information page. press the end of the turn signal stalk until the horn sounds twice. Go to the front drivers side tire and add or remove air for 5sec. stop and wait until the horn honks once. Press the end of the turn signal stalk once, move to the passenger side front and add or remove air for 5sec stop and wait for the horn to sound once. go back and press the end of the stalk once and move to the passenger side rear and do the same procedure, press the stalk and finally move to the left rear and add or remove pressure for 5sec when your done the horn will honk twice. your done. Shut off the car and now go back and bring the tire pressures to 35psi and your ready to go. Remember you need to complete the learning procedure within 2min or you will need to start over. This procedure is in your owners manual that is in your car on page 10-66 to 10-67. The manual on line is different than the one in your car.

TheCaptain
11-27-11, 04:06 PM
Well, so much for us being able to set our own TPMS's... :(

stevec5375
11-27-11, 04:54 PM
Well, so much for us being able to set our own TPMS's... :(

It's one more way for a vendor to nickle and dime you to death.

bwclemons
11-27-11, 05:23 PM
If they are giong to do that then it better be free to have the TPMS learned.

bwclemons
11-27-11, 05:39 PM
Just looked on the GM special tool web site and the SPX tool is on there for $62.33, there is also reference to a pdf file that explains what GM has done. https://gmspecialservicetools.spx.com/Media/Docs/EL-50448_rev_1.pdf
Sorry I was wrong and everyone that has a GM auto built after sometime in 2011 will have to take their car in to have the TPMS sensors relearned or buy a tool.

stevec5375
11-27-11, 06:02 PM
Just looked on the GM special tool web site and the SPX tool is on there for $62.33, there is also reference to a pdf file that explains what GM has done. https://gmspecialservicetools.spx.com/Media/Docs/EL-50448_rev_1.pdf
Sorry I was wrong and everyone that has a GM auto built after sometime in 2011 will have to take their car in to have the TPMS sensors relearned or buy a tool.

Glad I have a 2010. But really, what a crock! The old method works just fine. Why did they need to do this? If you buy your tires from someone besides the dealer, now you'll have yet another trip to the dealer just to get your TPMS reset. Oh! Maybe they can find something wrong with you car while it's there and make even more money off of you. Now, can someone give me a GOOD reason why GM did this?

Huey Driver
11-28-11, 10:59 AM
My 2012 shows actual pressure on the DIC. Other systems I have seen just show a light when the tire is low, and some don't even say which tire.

MnMs
11-28-11, 11:22 AM
If they are giong to do that then it better be free to have the TPMS learned.

My nearest dealer wants $12 to match all four to the TPMS.

TheCaptain
11-28-11, 02:30 PM
My 2012 shows actual pressure on the DIC. Other systems I have seen just show a light when the tire is low, and some don't even say which tire.

The SRX uses a high level TPMS system, as compared to lower level systems which just kick off an idiot light when the pressure gets too low.

Huey Driver
11-28-11, 03:42 PM
Agreed, presumably this is for ALL gen-2 years? If that changed for 2012, that would explain the new procedure.

SoCalSRX
11-28-11, 05:44 PM
So what's the bottom line here? Is the process described in this thread: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-srx-second-generation-forum-2010/243279-swapping-wheels-tires-new-tpms-tire.html no longer valid for 2011 and above SRXs?

TheCaptain
11-28-11, 10:47 PM
I think we need to clarify something. MnMs, are these TPMS's on a set of new(2nd) set you are putting on and programming? Or is this your first (original) set that you've rotated and need to relearn so the vehicle's DIC display is accurate?

MnMs
11-29-11, 06:32 AM
I have NEW TPMS sensors that I need to have relearned.

dechief4
11-29-11, 11:56 AM
For previous year GM products, the 'tool' is nothing more than a high intensity magnet in an easy to hold handle. I bought a couple of rectangular 'strong' magnets from (insert local hardware store here) for under $5 and have used them successfully on several prior GM vehicles (placing the base of the tire stem between the magnets when re-learning). To be honest, tho, I have not yet tried them on my 2012 SRX - I would suspect, however, they would still work as the sensors are still RF and the 'tool' merely helps the vehicle locate the specific tire during the relearn sequence. YMMV.

SoCalSRX
11-29-11, 12:01 PM
For previous year GM products, the 'tool' is nothing more than a high intensity magnet in an easy to hold handle. I bought a couple of rectangular 'strong' magnets from (insert local hardware store here) for under $5 and have used them successfully on several prior GM vehicles (placing the base of the tire stem between the magnets when re-learning). To be honest, tho, I have not yet tried them on my 2012 SRX - I would suspect, however, they would still work as the sensors are still RF and the 'tool' merely helps the vehicle locate the specific tire during the relearn sequence. YMMV.

What year vehicles have you used this technique on? I'm still trying to figure out what to do on my 2011 SRX.

dechief4
11-29-11, 12:05 PM
What year vehicles have you used this technique on? I'm still trying to figure out what to do on my 2011 SRX.

Up thru '09.

SoCalSRX
11-29-11, 12:16 PM
Up thru '09.

So we still don't have a definitive answer on what will/won't work on the second generation SRX.

Thanks for the info!

MnMs
11-29-11, 02:51 PM
I will give the magnets a try in a day or two.

SoCalSRX
11-29-11, 03:05 PM
I will give the magnets a try in a day or two.

Please report back with results. Thanks!!

gregcpx
11-29-11, 03:34 PM

Will this work for the 2010 Model SRX?

dechief4
11-29-11, 04:08 PM
So we still don't have a definitive answer on what will/won't work on the second generation SRX.

Thanks for the info!

SoCalSRX - The TPMS relearn process for the '11s is detailed on page 10-62 of the .pdf version of your year's Owner's Manual (which is the same procedure detailed in the 2012 OM). That should answer the how - but doesn't answer exactly the 'what with' question. Magnets are inexpensive - buy a pair and give it a shot - if nothing else, you can them use them to hang your kids drawings on the refrigerator...

GREGCPX - Your relearn procedure is on page 9-65 and 9-66 of YOUR .pdf OM - this procedure is different than the '11 and 12's (does not require a 'tool')...

The online versions of said OMs can be found here: http://www.cadillac.com/owners/auto-owners-manuals.html

As always, YMMV...

bwclemons
11-30-11, 11:00 AM
All 2010 and SOME 2011 SRX's can use the procedure in your manual pages10-66 and 10-67. Newer 2011 and 2012 cars need the relearning tool. They say. Nobody knows exacty when they changed the procedure during 2011. You will have to look in your manual to see which applies. My early 2011 works using the method in my manual by adding or removing pressure in the tires. It will be interesting to see if the magnets will work.

MnMs
11-30-11, 07:27 PM
Tried the magnets today and they did NOT work. Now keep in mind that I purchased a tire and wheel package from Tire Rack with the tires mounted and the sensors installed. Contacted Tire Rack today and they confirmed that the correct sensors were installed. Next stop is a relearn tool.

JimmyH
12-03-11, 01:27 PM
Hate to disagree with you. But the above procedure will not work on 2012. Starting with Late 2011 Model Year GM vehicles and all vehicles build after that point will support just one TPM relearn procedure - the Dealer Procedure. Or the purchase of a learning tool. Is anyone familar with the Relearn Tool (EL-50448) sold by SPX for about $60 ?

If that's really true, I will be pulling my tpms sensors off and putting them in a pressure vessel.

dechief4
12-03-11, 06:43 PM
Tried the magnets today and they did NOT work. Now keep in mind that I purchased a tire and wheel package from Tire Rack with the tires mounted and the sensors installed. Contacted Tire Rack today and they confirmed that the correct sensors were installed. Next stop is a relearn tool.

Unfortunately, I get to concur with you (not unfortunately I'm concurring with you - unfortunately that the magnets don't work :rolleyes: )... I tried today on my OEM tires (what else am I going to do when it's 15 degrees and snowing?)... The magnets didn't work - and I also noticed the stems on these rims are much more 'plasticy' than the previous TPMS stems I've dealt with using the magnets. Sigh.

paid4c4
12-03-11, 09:14 PM
I think we've gotten to the right answer. GM changed the learning technique from using a magnet to needing a special tool. https://gmspecialservicetools.spx.com/ToolDetails.aspx?id=5677
I don't think I'm going to rush right out and buy one but it is nice to finally get to the bottom of the TMPS question.
Bill

hcvone
12-05-11, 07:27 AM
Glad I have a 2010. But really, what a crock! The old method works just fine. Why did they need to do this? If you buy your tires from someone besides the dealer, now you'll have yet another trip to the dealer just to get your TPMS reset. Oh! Maybe they can find something wrong with you car while it's there and make even more money off of you. Now, can someone give me a GOOD reason why GM did this?

I am in the wheel business and can not spend the time letting air out of each tire to get a reading, so several years ago I purchased a Bartec TPIS tool new from E-Bay, I probably reset 100 friends and customers car/trucks a year, takes about 10 seconds with the Bartec tool, roughly as long as it takes to remove one valve stem cap. :)

MnMs
12-05-11, 05:29 PM
Today I tested a relearn tool (ATEQ VT5) from Tire Rack on my 2012 SRX. It worked like a charm and in less than (1) minute I had all four tires relearned. It sure beats the h@ll out of letting the air out and then adding air.

Just make sure that you press the tip of this tool on the side wall of your tire near the valve stem.

classiccars
01-17-12, 08:44 AM
Staying with the 2012 models (Late 2011 models also) What is the part number for these new tire sensors? Someone said that it should be:
20922900 (GM Part number) Is this correct? and will older sensors from early 2011 and before work on the 2012? I think those may have a 25920615 or 20923680 numbers.

zinner
01-17-12, 11:10 AM
I had a donut magnet that you could use on some sensor as well. Those won't work anymore?

MnMs
01-20-12, 06:44 PM
Staying with the 2012 models (Late 2011 models also) What is the part number for these new tire sensors? Someone said that it should be:
20922900 (GM Part number) Is this correct? and will older sensors from early 2011 and before work on the 2012? I think those may have a 25920615 or 20923680 numbers.

Take care in that the 2011 TS may not work with your 2012 OBC. I dont know the part number.

NotMine
03-30-13, 08:12 PM
Owners Manual says to take it to the dealer OR talk with your dealer about a special tool to purchase. I rotate tires about every 3000-4000 miles, depending on use (it's just an OCD). Does anyone have a sync tool, probably Kent Moore, that will accomplish this? Is there another method? One of my neighbors mentioned a magnet??????

TheCaptain
03-30-13, 09:13 PM
Merged into a thread all about tire learning tools and 2011+ SRXs with TPMS.

Also, if it hasn't been clarified, only a tpms re-learn tool will work. (Like a GM/Kent Moore EL-50448)

JimmyH
03-31-13, 01:58 PM
I just bought the tool for $80. These days, that seems dirt cheap to me.

Indy_Mike
03-31-13, 03:45 PM
Maybe somebody should start a tool rental like netflix.....:thumbsup:

NotMine
03-31-13, 05:43 PM
Merged into a thread all about tire learning tools and 2011+ SRXs with TPMS.

Also, if it hasn't been clarified, only a tpms re-learn tool will work. (Like a GM/Kent Moore EL-50448)

Thanks for your patience and answer. However, unless I missed something in the posts, I didn't see a definitive answer for TIRE ROTATION on a 2012 SRX, only for relearning NEW sensors. Is the tool needed specifically for TIRE ROTATION?

Thanks again....

TheCaptain
03-31-13, 06:14 PM
If you rotate your tires and want the display to show the appropriate wheel, then yes you need the tool for the vehicle to relearn the new positions.

JimmyH
03-31-13, 06:42 PM
If you keep track of which wheel is where, you dont absolutely need the tool.

stevec5375
04-01-13, 10:45 AM
The 2010 MY did not require this tool. Why did Cadillac, starting with MY 2011, decide to introduce a tool requirement?

adamjeeps
04-01-13, 11:33 AM
The 2010 MY did not require this tool. Why did Cadillac, starting with MY 2011, decide to introduce a tool requirement?

It is a big conspiracy to make customers come to the shop to rotate tires so they can charge $$$.

Wish I could day I was joking but part of me really believes that. My skeptical side will not rest :)

packardv8
04-01-13, 01:45 PM
I just removed the snows and replaced the OEM tires and wheels. I was under the assumption the TPMS would automatically re-read the sensors even if in the wrong location. Nothing so far.

Any more recent info as to when in the 2011 model year GM changed the TPMS sensor to one requiring a tool?

jack vines

NotMine
04-01-13, 02:06 PM
----------

[/COLOR]O'k.....I think I'll research to purchase the tool....either the Kent-Moore (which I favor, since it is essentially GM) or the Ateq, although that seems to be higher priced than the GM Dealer Tool.

Again THANKS for your time and responses.

beachcad
04-01-13, 03:32 PM
Here is a link to a pdf document that contains an explanation for the TPMS relearn procedure changes and the effective date.

https://gmspecialservicetools.spx.com/Media/Common/Documents/EL-50448_rev_1.pdf

JimmyH
04-01-13, 04:28 PM
Just buy the tool. It's $80. And it works with all new GM vehicles. And supposedly Nissan, which I plan to try soon.

It's only a matter of time before these tools cost less than $20. Look at OBDII adapters. They used to cost over $100 for a simple serial cable to connect to your computer. Now you can get a bluetooth adapter for $15 shipped.

stevec5375
04-01-13, 05:31 PM
Just buy the tool. It's $80. And it works with all new GM vehicles. And supposedly Nissan, which I plan to try soon.

It's only a matter of time before these tools cost less than $20. Look at OBDII adapters. They used to cost over $100 for a simple serial cable to connect to your computer. Now you can get a bluetooth adapter for $15 shipped.

What's that statement, "Just buy the tool."? Vendors absolutely love people like you. Never question anything, just fork over the money. If the 2010 is able to deal with TPMS without a tool, the ONLY reason I can see for the tool is yet another way for a vendor to price gouge the customer.

It may be "only" $80. But, in the end these things all add up. How did you come to this in your life that it's "only $80" ?

I should start a company and hope all my customers are just like you.

JimmyH
04-01-13, 05:57 PM
It's good to see your outlook on life hasn't changed any. At least you're consistent.

Huey Driver
04-02-13, 07:29 AM
Is it that hard to understand that the TPMS was upgraded, requiring more accurate tools that a simple magnet... I thought I read that the 2010 TPMS doesnt show actual pressure like my 2012 does (except its 1 psi off)... Or is it just about the same thing every 3 months?

beachcad
04-02-13, 09:34 AM
The purpose for changing the TPMS relearn procedure was to prevent errant signals from a nearby vehicle, that was also in a simultaneous relearn procedure, possibly being learned by the wrong vehicle.

BTW, the GM tool is just under $70 US from the same site with the pdf document:

https://gmspecialservicetools.spx.com/ToolDetails.aspx?id=5677

NotMine
04-02-13, 02:32 PM
Thought I would add what I had found in my research for the Kent Moore tool.......

Try this link, the EL 50448 is approximately $10.00 less here......

http://www.toolsource.com/tire-pressure-monitor-sensor-p-142495.html

beachcad
04-02-13, 02:50 PM
Thought I would add what I had found in my research for the Kent Moore tool.......

Try this link, the EL 50448 is approximately $10.00 less here......

http://www.toolsource.com/tire-pressure-monitor-sensor-p-142495.html

Great, thanks!

JimmyH
04-02-13, 04:36 PM
The purpose for changing the TPMS relearn procedure was to prevent errant signals from a nearby vehicle, that was also in a simultaneous relearn procedure, possibly being learned by the wrong vehicle.

There's that too. The range on these sensors is ridiculous. I swapped wheels once, and went for a drive before I did the relearn. I was almost 5 miles from the wheels that were still paired when I restarted the car. It was still reading them. There are alot of cars in a 5 miles radius. And the odds are there that two people could potentially be repairing at the same time.

packardv8
04-03-13, 10:34 AM
There's that too. The range on these sensors is ridiculous. I swapped wheels once, and went for a drive before I did the relearn. I was almost 5 miles from the wheels that were still paired when I restarted the car. It was still reading them. There are alot of cars in a 5 miles radius. And the odds are there that two people could potentially be repairing at the same time.

Is it possible it took that long just to update the display? The broadcast and readout is not continuous.

jack vines

adamjeeps
04-03-13, 10:42 AM
Is it possible it took that long just to update the display? The broadcast and readout is not continuous.

jack vines

My 2012 is real time. We got a flat, put air in it and drove to the tire shop and watched the pressure go down from 40 to 10 as we drove the two minutes.

JimmyH
04-03-13, 02:54 PM
I would say there is a lag of about 5-10 seconds or so on my Camaro.

Most of these tpms have incredible range. Lots of guys race their cars, and thanks to that range, they are able to leave their wheels with the sensors back in the paddock and still be able to turn off stabilitrak with their race wheels on.

NotMine
04-04-13, 01:07 AM
For what it is worth.....

At a recent GM Show, in Detroit, A GM engineer was answering questions of people in the crowd. One of the questions asked, was regarding the transmission distance of the TPMS. The answer was LESS THAN 100 FEET under ideal conditions. He also stated that one cars sensors would not receive with another cars receiver, because of the learning/sync required for each car. Kind of like your key fob. Works with your car, but no other, because it is encoded. The direction of the original question was focusing toward an accusation, and the engineer recognized it from the "get go".

If that is true, I can't understand how some people experienced what they said.

beachcad
04-04-13, 09:44 AM
I have to start by saying that I do not have a definitive knowledge of the TPMS systems, but I have done some research to justify my understanding. Firstly, the TPMS sensors in the wheels must be "registered" with the specific vehicle control module. Part of the "registration" includes the identification code of the specific TPMS sensor and also its location. Whenever a TPMS sensor is moved (tire rotation) or replaced, it must be "relearned" by the vehicle control module. Only during this "relearn" mode is it possible for the vehicle control module to receive and register the signal of a TPMS sensor that is not associated with the vehicle, i.e. a nearby vehicle or loose wheel. Also, the communication protocol is specific to each vehicle (although the protocol may be shared by more than one model). Another aspect of the TPMS communication is the frequency being used. The combination of the specific vehicle communication protocol and frequency was creating a problem for aftermarket tire and wheel retailers that needed to maintain a large inventory of TPMS sensors for all the different makes and models of cars. Not to mention, the federal law that requires TPMS on new vehicles.

Back to the point:
There are two different problems affecting the current situation of the TPMS systems.

1) The inadvertant/incorrect "learning" of a wrong/nearby TPMS sensor during a relearn procedure.
This problem should be limited to TPMS sensors that share the same communication protocol and frequency, i.e. primarily the dearlership service department. As a means of addressing this problem, the GM engineers changed the "relearn" procedure to require a TPMS activation tool.

2) The myriad of TPMS sensors required for aftermarket tire and wheel vendors to maintain in inventory.
Several TPMS manufacturers, most notably Schrader, have developed a new TPMS sensor that cane be "programmed" to the necessary vehicle protocol. The Schrader EZ-sensor is available in two different frequencies (315 and 433 MHz) that Schrader claims will cover nearly 90% of the vehicle OEM sensors. I suspect that these types of TPMS sensors will become the norm. This could become a problem for the car owner that wishes to purchase a TPMS sensor. It will require the sensor to be programmed for the intended vehicle before it can be purchased and used. (then of course, it still has to be relearned when installed on the vehicle).

TheCaptain
04-04-13, 08:18 PM
Well, now we know why we need the tool!

JimmyH
04-04-13, 09:32 PM
For what it is worth.....

At a recent GM Show, in Detroit, A GM engineer was answering questions of people in the crowd. One of the questions asked, was regarding the transmission distance of the TPMS. The answer was LESS THAN 100 FEET under ideal conditions. He also stated that one cars sensors would not receive with another cars receiver, because of the learning/sync required for each car. Kind of like your key fob. Works with your car, but no other, because it is encoded. The direction of the original question was focusing toward an accusation, and the engineer recognized it from the "get go".

If that is true, I can't understand how some people experienced what they said.

I can tell you he is wrong. I was definitely miles from my house. I was gonna keep going to see how far but it was late. Maybe I will try again and measure the distance this time.

Huey Driver
04-05-13, 09:58 AM
Jimmy, I dont know why you experienced the situation you did, and I dont doubt that it was the perception. But consider the size of the transmitter, and the power required to transmit a signal over the ground (with all associated things that would block the signal) that distance would be huge. And the batteries in the sensors would be dead in a day.

packardv8
04-05-13, 01:31 PM
Update, after about the third startup, my wife's 2011 did eventually reacquire the OEM wheel sensors when the summer tires/wheels were reinstalled. Since I rotated them, they aren't in the correct location for the display, but all I need right now is for the light not to flash and there to be an indication if there is a low tire somewhere.

I will be buying the tool and four new sensors for the winter wheel/tire set eventually.

jack vines

JimmyH
04-05-13, 07:08 PM
Hopefully I will have a chance to test it out this weekend. Prove a point, I must.