: New member and first time Caddy owner

ta23
11-25-11, 11:02 AM
Hi! I've just joined this forum after becoming the proud owner of a 2012 SRX. I just bought the car yesterday. I'll probably pick it up on Sunday or Monday. Just to give you a little background. This is my first Cadillac ever. I've owned a few cars in the past, specifically, 2 Ford Probes, a Lumina, a Camaro, and a Sentra, but this is my first Cadillac. I used to live in Houston but now live and work in Saudi Arabia. I moved here about 3 months ago. Buying a car here is not that easy as test drives have to be scheduled well in advance and even if they have a car for sale, they will not let you test drive it unless they have one set aside specifically for test drives. Also, dealerships across the country are all owned by the same owner so little room is left for negotiation, so you wind up paying more than what you would in the US. Also, you can't really pick and choose options or packages. They usually have a base option, a mid-range, and full options. You take your pick and make peace with whatever comes with it. I looked at a lot of cars here but nothing hit home. I checked out the Mazda CX7 which impressed me slightly, the CX9 which didn't impress me at all. I looked at the new Explorer and the Edge, but the Explorer was only available in the base option and the Edge was sold out. I test drove a used 2006 Range Rover supercharged, but I didn't want to pay so much for a car that old. I considered the Maxima and Murano but neither appealed. I liked the Acadia Denali but it was sold out. I was about to compromised on mid-range Acadia and then just happened to walk into the Cadillac dealer next door. I didn't know much about the SRX, but decided to take a look. I instantly fell in love with it and after a few days of reading up on it, I went ahead and bought it yesterday. I wanted to take a look at the Gray Flannel color but they hadn't received any yet and weren't sure when they were going to get it. And I didn't really feel like waiting. They had one mid-range in radiant silver and one with full options in gold mist. The full-option one was a little too pricey so I got the silver with the charcoal black interior.

Mid-range Features:
Heated seats (I wonder how much that'll come in handy here in Saudi Arabia)
Panoramic sunroof
Navigation
Paid price: SR 170,700 which is about $45520.00

I think everything else is standard. It doesn't have Xenon lights, which is only available on the full option trimline. No DVD (not that I need it), no chrome wheels (which I didn't care for anyway). No cooling seats (which I could definitely use).

Hopefully by Sunday or Monday I should have it. I'm looking forward to it, especially the new engine!

My initial question is, is there a break-in period for the SRX. The dealer told me it's not required, but I just want to be sure. Any other tips for care and maintenance will be greatly appreciated. The biggest problems here to watch for are the crazy drivers, the frequent sandstorms, and the melting heat. The SRX will be garage-kept so that will ensure some protection from the heat.

Thanks in advance and I'm looking forward to being a part of this community.

TheCaptain
11-25-11, 01:29 PM
Welcome ta23! I have links to the Canadian and American Cadillac Owner's websites for access to Online Manual's and Guides in my sig, but i dug up the Canadian Manual's guide for ya (cuz that's what I have on hand). :D

Starting and Operating -New Vehicle Break-In

Notice: The vehicle does not need an elaborate break-in. But it will perform better in the long run if you follow these guidelines:
Do not drive at any one constant speed, fast or slow, for the first 805 km (500 miles). Do not make full-throttle starts. Avoid downshifting to brake or slow the vehicle. During the first 1 000 km (600 miles), avoid using more than moderate acceleration in lower gears and avoid vehicle speeds above 110 km/h (68 mph). Between the first 1 000 km (600 miles) and 5 000 km (3,000 miles), heavy acceleration in lower gears can be used. Vehicle speeds above 110 km/h (68 mph) should be limited to five minutes per use. Avoid making hard stops for the first 322 km (200 miles) or so. During this time the new brake linings are not yet broken in. Hard stops with new linings can mean premature wear and earlier replacement. Follow this breaking-in guideline every time you get new brake linings. Do not tow a trailer during break-in. See Driving Characteristics and Towing Tips on page 8‑48 for the trailer towing capabilities of your vehicle and more information. Following break-in, engine speed and load can be gradually increased.

Huey Driver
11-25-11, 06:08 PM
Yeah, thats what the manual says...
But I got a chance to see the dealership porters driving the cars as I was buying mine. I'm pretty sure all those rules were broken (including the 5 minutes at 68mph) just in the dealer parking lot... :-)