: Lug Nut Torque Requirement

MnMs
11-24-11, 08:57 AM
Anyone know the torque requirement for our 2nd gen. SRX wheel lug nuts?

morven39
11-24-11, 10:13 AM
It is 110 ft pounds for the 2010. Page 11-7 in manual.

MnMs
11-24-11, 11:14 AM
Thank You

JohnnyBzSRX
03-25-14, 09:56 AM
Our 2013 manual (the suppliment page for the 2013 manual) states:

Blue Cone Seats: 110 ft-lb
Silver Cone Seats: 140 ft-lb

I have the 20" Chrome wheels, and my lug nuts are silver, but without taking off a lug to see what color the cone seats are, does anyone know what the propoer lug torque is for the 20" chrome wheels?

SRXyz
03-25-14, 03:08 PM
My 2012 manual on page 12-2 states 110 ft lb.

Try to check them after getting your car serviced. When I got my car back from its first maintenance, the lugs were put on at 50 ft lbs. I was so glad my wheels didn't fly off.

JohnnyBzSRX
03-25-14, 03:27 PM
Exactly my situation, I just want to be sure to use the right torque level when I check them tonight, but want to avoid over-torquing, which can also cause damage.

Back in the day of steel wheels, which usually had a little "flair" around the conical lug nut seat, a little bit of settling after initial wheel installation was accommodated by the generous flex of the steel wheel "flair" and was able to maintain clamping force without re-torquing of the lug nuts after a few miles. Modern alloy wheels don't flex near as much in the lug nut area, thus any settling after driving a few miles following initial installation results in much more clamping force loss and thus requires re-torquing to restore the clamping force and ensure further loosening of the wheel does not occur.

njacobsen
03-26-14, 12:57 AM
Our 2013 manual (the suppliment page for the 2013 manual) states:

Blue Cone Seats: 110 ft-lb
Silver Cone Seats: 140 ft-lb

I have the 20" Chrome wheels, and my lug nuts are silver, but without taking off a lug to see what color the cone seats are, does anyone know what the propoer lug torque is for the 20" chrome wheels?

I do not have a supplement page for my 2013 manual. Is there any other important information included?

Are you certain is states 110 ft lb and 140 ft lb? My owner manual on page 12-2 states 110 ft lb English and 150 Nm Metric. It makes no mention of silver or blue cones. I also have chrome wheels and am now concerned about proper torque which I also always check after service.

JohnnyBzSRX
03-26-14, 07:57 AM
I do not have a supplement page for my 2013 manual. Is there any other important information included?

Are you certain is states 110 ft lb and 140 ft lb? My owner manual on page 12-2 states 110 ft lb English and 150 Nm Metric. It makes no mention of silver or blue cones. I also have chrome wheels and am now concerned about proper torque which I also always check after service.

We purchased our '13 in August, so it may not have been available when you purchased yours (good choice on color too, BTW). You might check w/ your dealer to see if they can provide the supplements. In addition to the one page that added the torque specs as noted in my post, there was a 3-page supplement on the seat memory functions. I'll try to scan them and get them posted (if I can't find a link anywhere).

Here's a link to the 2014 manual that states that the wheel lug torque is 140 ft-lbs (pg 12-2):
http://www.gm.ca/media/owners/manuals/2014_Cadillac_SRX_Manual_en_CA.pdf

I'm wondering if for some reason they changed the lug nuts and upped the specs mid-way through the '13 MY and the supplement I got was intended to cover whatever the car might have received on the line.

I'll be checking the torque tonight, I'll pull one lug off to see if there is any color to the cone seat and let you know.

JohnnyBzSRX
03-26-14, 10:39 PM
My lugs nuts definately have a blue tint to the cone seats, so 110 ft-lbs it is.