: Tires ??

ezstriper
11-23-11, 06:50 PM
looking to replace the tires..looking for quiet and better riding...has 235 50 17 ft and rear..so somebody changed them at some point..has michelin pilots now...not impressed.. would give up some handling for better ride...
thanks Rob

EChas3
11-23-11, 10:08 PM
Michelins are OEM. 235/50R17 is the base size.

ezstriper
11-24-11, 12:45 AM
for the front only, door tag says 255 45 on the rear...

EChas3
11-24-11, 12:53 AM
Your car must have been equipped with the upgraded 17" staggered setup. The rear wheels are a half-inch wider than the fronts but many people feel better doing tire rotations with the same tire all around.

On the 18" setup, the OEM Michelins are staggered but all four wheels are identical.

ezstriper
11-24-11, 12:56 AM
I did not catch the staggered wheels until recently...have rotated the tires a few times..have no idea which wheels are where now...have to look when I pull them off next...but has 235 all the way around...tires very noisy

1crock
11-24-11, 10:51 AM
Have a look at Hankook tires. I put them on mine to replace the Pilots. They are quiet, ride very nice, handle great and were a good bit cheaper than about anything (at least the tires worth having).

Lifer
11-24-11, 12:52 PM
Have a look at Hankook tires. I put them on mine to replace the Pilots. They are quiet, ride very nice, handle great and were a good bit cheaper than about anything (at least the tires worth having).

Tell me more about your Hankook tires. I have been searching for quieter tires for the last 20 years, through Lincolns, Buicks, and Cadillacs. The factory wants to impress me with performance, but i want a quiet (and safe) ride. Yes, I want a tire to handle well when its wet outside, but I am displeased with the tire noise I get on most surfaces, especially concrete, when I am driving a upscale car.

malatu
11-24-11, 01:01 PM
You might want to do some research at Tire Rack's website. They test and rank tires in a variety of categories, one of them being road noise. I'm not a spirited driver so road noise is the most important criteria for me when selecting a tire. I just put 4 new Continental Extreme Contacts DWS (Dry, Wet, Snow). I've driven on them for about 3000 mi. I'm very pleased with the quietness of this tire and feel it was well represented by Tire Rack's reviews. Since you live in Tex, you probably don't need an aggressive tread design for snow. As a result, I would think if you stick with a summer tire, you can get a set that are even quieter.

EChas3
11-24-11, 09:36 PM
I too, appreciate Tire Rack's rating system. It wasn't my sole source of information but my priorities are similar to Malatu's and I also chose the Conti DWS. I put the 235/80R18 on all four wheels and rotate the tires when I have the oil changed (per the OLM).

After 20,000 miles, they are still quieter and better riding than the Michelin's I took off. Those were MXM's and far too hard a compound, IMO. Michelin trades traction for long treadlife in too many of their tires. How long a tires lasts is fourth on my list for my AWD STS: quiet, ride, handling & treadlife.

Opinions vary. In fact, my opinion varies not just for different cars but even different STS models. My wife's RWD STS has a softer suspension so ride drops lower in priorities for her car. She is more concerned about performance and value, so her top 2 are handling & treadlife. She also usually has her stereo cranking rock music, road noise isn't so important. Her choices? Blizzaks & Conti DW, their Summer tire.

STS guy
11-25-11, 04:38 PM
Amen. I am with you brother. I do very few 4 wheel drifts through the corners. I want smooth and quiet.

mckellyb
11-26-11, 12:54 PM
Continental DWS Extreme.

I'm quite impressed with them. However, they have limits, so I need a new 17" rear wheel...eventually.

1crock
11-26-11, 08:10 PM
Tell me more about your Hankook tires.

The Hankooks are Ventus V4 ES H105s. Whew! If nothing else the title is impressive. They do well in the rain and the bit of snow they were in at the end of last winter when I put them on. Even my 18 year old son remarked about how much quieter they were. I liked them enough that I put a set of Hankooks on the Mazda 626 my son drives and will probably put a set on the pickup when it's due in a year or so.

edsandra
11-27-11, 10:47 AM
The Continental Extreme Contacts DWS beats OEM Michelins hands down for both quitness and handleing!!!

MARSTS
11-28-11, 03:06 PM
Totally agree with 1crock above. I installed the Hankook Ventus V4 ES H105s about 3,500 miles ago and they are so much better than the Michelins for noise. They handle extremely well on dry and wet roads. They are a ZR rated tire, so they are directional and only rotate front to back. I got them for about $125 each.

johnny-cash
11-28-11, 11:21 PM
I just put on my 17 staggereds much pilots 245/4517 front and the rears are 275's so in the rear each tire is 11 inches wide. I was told they were the best that i could buy and was out the door for 1045 after a 200 military discount.

rics8
12-02-11, 02:43 PM
Hankook 17 on mine, in summer i will get the 20' also. great tire for caddies:thumbsup:

BaTu
12-02-11, 08:34 PM
I couldn't be happier with my Michelin Pilot Sport A/S's I put on last year. Quite, GREAT in the wet, lots of snow last winter No Problem, and "hook-up" in a corner WAY better than the Michelins it came with...

R3TRO
12-03-11, 04:16 AM
You want a quiet comfortable tire? Get these: Bridgestone Potenza RE960 AS Pole Position

I had them on a CrownVic P71 (police interceptor) and man these things were quiet and gripped well in dry and wet. They are only a 40K mi tire and rather expensive, but I swear by them!

I bought my STS used and they came with brand new GoodYear Eagle GT. They are a decent tire, but nothing special. Look great and have a rim saver which I like for when the girlie friend drives the car! :P

C&C
12-03-11, 05:58 AM
I also have the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S; I like them better than the M4MX (that were OEM), and on a recent trip to the TN mountains, performed terrifically. Around town: smooth, quiet and confidence inspiring.

nz31tm
12-03-11, 09:55 AM
I've add Falken 912's on 235/50-17. I personally love them. Very quite and handle great especially on wet pavement. I've had Hankooks before, but for my Avalanch and wasn't very impressed with theh handling in snow. I recently switched up the 912's for the Falken 722 because it was rated better and I was able to get them for the same price. Omce again very quite and handle great on wet pavement, but I almost feel if I had to pay more for the 722 I'd stick with the 912's. Oh onemore thing I decided to put 245/50-17 on the back. Remember changing tire size will effect your speed and gas mleage. Just that slight change I've lost a small amount of gas mileage on the average.

Smiling Jack
12-03-11, 11:45 AM
Hankook 17 on mine, in summer i will get the 20' also. great tire for caddies:thumbsup:

Anyone here know how many miles the Hankook 17's are likely to last?

what is the original tread depth?

Thanks for any info.

ezstriper
02-04-12, 05:14 PM
went with 245 hankook optima's and they are great, smooth, quiet, and still handles great...

mckellyb
02-04-12, 10:28 PM
Here's another vote for the Continental Extreme DWS tires.

I have a bit over 25K miles on these, they're warrantied for 50K, and I think they'll last that amount. I've been a bit harsh on them now-and-again, so I may get only 43K-45K out of them. Depends on what time of the year it is, I'm in Fort Worth, when they get thin.

They're quiet, they ride well, and are very predictable near the limits of adhesion. To put it another way, I'm always looking for better 'shoes' for any vehicle, even if they were top-notch last time around. I'm putting these same tires on Pearl, when the time comes.

The car has been named Pearl by my wife because of the color. It fits.

I think the staggering isn't really necessary, but I'll likely stick with it.

ddalder
02-05-12, 02:24 AM
I put a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus on my STS to replace the original Michelins. I selected these because I also have a set on my Bonneville GXP.

On my Bonneville:

For a summer tire I quite enjoy them.
Traction in snow is very disappointing.
They seem very quiet.

On My AWD STS:

Traction is no problem at all, winter or summer.
They seem very noisy. I'm starting to wonder if the excessive noise is being transmitted into the cabin through the AWD components.

The whole reason I put these on was because of how quiet they are on my Bonneville. I'm not an overly aggressive driver so performance criteria are of minimal importance. Honestly, I prefer to drive around town in my Bonneville than my STS because it is so much quieter. On the highway, the acoustic insulation of the STS makes it a quieter ride. I'm not sure where to go from here. Love the STS, hate the noisy ride!

EChas3
02-05-12, 04:17 PM
I chose a softer compound 235/50R18 all around instead of the staggered setup for quiet & ride. Opinions vary.