: Security System Giving False Theft info & won't start.

Jerry Rodrigues
11-23-11, 04:03 AM
11-22-2011

Hello,
Hopefully someone can help solve this problem. My alternator needed to be replaced. Upon having the professional
mechanic change it & I was there watching it being replaced. It refused to start after the replacement.

Finally had my 1998 DeVille towed to the Cadillac Dealership. The key had been left in the ON-Positon & the battery was completely drained. I bought a new battery from the dealership, but after several hours with at least two longtime mechanics (over 20 years experience each) trying to get my car to start they had to call a Factory Technician to try & walk them through a reprogramming of the Security Computer System, but to no avail... the car STILL refuses to start, whereas it used to start when barely turning the key before.

Does anyone have any adivice to solve this problem.
Remember, all that was done was replacing of the alternator which was dead & now it says Theft something--- Car may not start.

Please advise.
Thank you,
Jerry

N*Caddy
11-24-11, 08:55 AM
You need to pull the codes?
You most likely have an issue with the ignition cylinder VAT contacts.
It is a fairly simple issue any mechanic should be able to fix this in 20 minutes.
Read this (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-seville-cadillac-eldorado-forum/245595-passkey-problems-again-1999-eldorado-etc.html#post2777721).
I am assuming your car does crank but is not is just not starting. Is my assumption correct?
Do you see a message something like "Wait 3 minutes..." when turning the key?