: Northstar coolant leak

jcgtex
11-22-11, 10:27 PM
Hi i have a 2000 cadillac deville and my car has started leaking coolant. When i check the leak it comes from the back of the engine......i cant seem to see were the leak is coming from since everything is cramped up under there but it seems to drip down onto the side of the oil pan and exhaust pipe, can anybody help me figure out whats leaking?????

Ranger
11-22-11, 10:48 PM
A common leak point in that location is the two heater pipes that run along the rear head. Be advised, they are a PITA to change. You may need to lower the front of the cradle a little to give yourself a little more clearance.

jcgtex
11-22-11, 10:59 PM
also when im driving the car it doesnt over heat but if im idle or in park it starts to overheat quick.........im thinking about removing the valve cover to get a better look

89falcon
11-23-11, 12:12 AM
also when im driving the car it doesnt over heat but if im idle or in park it starts to overheat quick.........im thinking about removing the valve cover to get a better look

Please read this entire thread.......

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/northstar-performance-technical-discussion/232138-engine-coolant-temperature-gauges-cooling-fans.html

while you may have a leak, the leak shouldn't be the cause of an overheat at idle, but NOT while driving.

Submariner409
11-23-11, 09:40 AM
...........and removing a valve (cam) cover will not accomplish a thing - are you talking about the silver plastic engine beauty cover ?? It's there for little other than making the engine look less like an engine. You remove that to do all sorts of checks and maintenance.

Read ALL of 89falcon's link - you need a better picture of how and why that temperature gauge moves.