: mrbobbo

mrbobbo
11-22-11, 08:02 PM
Feel dumb but...
My 2012 is now 2 days old and already I'm looking for help.
We leave Arizona for Michigan in May and return in October.
I disconnect the negative battery cable when I leave and the car starts right up when we return.
My problem:
Where is the Negative battery cable on my SRX?
I don't want to go probing and prying blindly.
Any hints would be greatly appreciated.
By the way:
My SRX is the most beautiful car in town!!!

99ssconv
11-22-11, 09:37 PM
under the black box under the hood on the drivers side

mrbobbo
11-22-11, 10:21 PM
Nope.
I see the big + on the black box but, I'm looking for the negative terminal.
I suppose I could disconnect the positive cable but that looks like it'd take some effort with a specialized socket or wrench.
Am I supposed to attempt to take the entire cover off the entire box?
Looks like a lot of stuff going into there.

TheCaptain
11-22-11, 10:39 PM
Check it out fella's. Red battery (+) and Black battery (-) cables. Easy as pie. You will need to remove ALL the red circled bolts if you plan on removing the battery.

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o51/TheCaptain07/10%20SRX%20WinterSpring/IMG_2551.jpg

mrbobbo
11-23-11, 12:14 AM
Got it Cap'n.
If I can figure out how to get the cover off, I'm home free.
Thanks for the help and the pic.

2011_SRX
11-23-11, 12:37 AM
Have you considered connecting a smart charger such as the Battery Tender Plus http://batterytender.com/battery-tender-plus-12v-at-1-25a.html This device will allow the battery to remain connected during your absence. Based on my past experiences with other vehicles, disconnecting the battery will cause the vehicle to run a little rough the first few times you start using it, but then the engine gradually readjusts the computer after running awhile. Keeping a smart charger connected will not overcharge the battery and it will keep the battery in tip-top condition. Don't use the old fashioned trickle charger, those may overcharge. The smart charger applies very little current so there is no danger of hurting the battery.

Bejay
11-23-11, 11:52 PM
My dad uses the battery tender and swears by it. If you unhook the battery it will eventually go dead after awhile, not good for the life of the battery.

mrbobbo
11-24-11, 12:06 AM
Something to think about and the cost is not a killer.
Thanks, Guys

2011_SRX
11-24-11, 11:50 AM
Also I am fairly certain you will need to reprogram all of your radio stations whenever the battery is disconnected. Another nice feature of the Battery Tender is the included fused jumper used to permanently provide a charger connection to the battery. This jumper terminates with a covered "quick disconnect". This will allow you to connect the Battery Tender to your battery without having to pull that big battery cover every time you store your vehicle. I have a friend storing five vehicles and he has a Battery Tender connected to each vehicle.

If you care to save some money, this person on eBay sells the Battery Tender Plus for less than the manufacturer. I purchased the two I own from this eBayer. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Battery-Tender-Plus-1-25-Amp-12-Volt-New-/170722016414?pt=Other_Vehicle_Parts&vxp=mtr&hash=item27bfd33c9e