: Idiling really rough

greyghost04
11-22-11, 04:14 PM
Now granted I only have 400 miles on my SRX, but it really idles rough. The steering wheel and brake pedal shake as I sit at a stoplight. Hoping this improves with mileage. My 3 CTS's never had this problem. Hope by my first oil change this problem rectifies itself, but I am worried about it.

2012NHSRX
11-22-11, 05:09 PM
Now granted I only have 400 miles on my SRX, but it really idles rough. The steering wheel and brake pedal shake as I sit at a stoplight. Hoping this improves with mileage. My 3 CTS's never had this problem. Hope by my first oil change this problem rectifies itself, but I am worried about it.

Ghost, I would certainly take it in to have it looked at... my 2012 is very smooth at idle, and has been from the beginning. I don't understand why it would improve with mileage?

cadigirlchicago2
11-22-11, 10:00 PM
Welcome to my world!! My 2010 has been idling rough for months now. I took it back AGAIN today and they ran all sorts of tests, compared it to another 2010 and they claim that this is just how they run. This is the 4th time I have taken it in for this issue. The car is in gear and it happens when I'm at a red light - RPM's shake, never stays steady and sometimes feels like it wants to stall out. They did tests today looking for a stall out code or some other low something code and all checked out fine. I'm at a loss.

stevec5375
11-23-11, 06:39 PM
Welcome to my world!! My 2010 has been idling rough for months now. I took it back AGAIN today and they ran all sorts of tests, compared it to another 2010 and they claim that this is just how they run. This is the 4th time I have taken it in for this issue. The car is in gear and it happens when I'm at a red light - RPM's shake, never stays steady and sometimes feels like it wants to stall out. They did tests today looking for a stall out code or some other low something code and all checked out fine. I'm at a loss.

Have you called Cadillac Customer Service?

cadigirlchicago2
11-23-11, 07:46 PM
No, I haven't. I guess now I'm so confused I don't know what to do. I sorta believe that they have looked really hard for a problem. They keep checking for codes and nothing is coming up. I don't want to appear to be some pyscho that's never happy - In my opinion, the idle isn't right but I don't know cars. What is Cadillac customer service going to do that the dealer hasn't? I also am afraid to get the dealership service dept in any trouble. They are the most convenient for me to take the car so I don't want to completely burn any bridges. I feel like they are trying.....

They said the had another 2010 luxury on the lot and brought it into the shop and that one ran the same - idle RPM flutters slightly - they claim this is just how the car is.

Any other direction, I'm all ears.

greyghost04
11-23-11, 08:28 PM
Ghost, I would certainly take it in to have it looked at... my 2012 is very smooth at idle, and has been from the beginning. I don't understand why it would improve with mileage?

Wishful thinking?

Ponyman
11-23-11, 08:41 PM
Ghost, you definetly have a problem. Get it in and checked. document erverything. hopefully they will correcdt it quickly, but if not documentation is your friend in any acdtion against Cadillac.

Huey Driver
11-24-11, 11:30 AM
Ghost, it depends on what 'really rough' is. What I've seen from this board is that people have WIDELY differing descriptions for the same situation. Depending on the level of 'rough', you might have a problem, but it could be a 'less than optimal' situation. I know that sounds like govt-speak, but here's my thoughts.
I have the same OPINION that you do. I don't really think the idle is the best is can be. I have ONCE had a situation where it felt like the motor was about to die; I didn't see the tach, but it felt like the idle dropped to a couple hundred RPM and shook the whole car pretty hard for a couple seconds and was gone. That was in the first week I had it and it hasn't happened since. I chalk that up as a one-time 'transient' event, never even triggered the Check Engine Light.
Now what I notice is kind of a rhythmic cycle where the motor (at idle, in drive, brakes applied, econ mode on) is smooth then gradually turns just a little 'less smooth' (I wouldn't characterize it as 'rough'), then gradually back to smooth. Its just like the harmonics on a twin engine plane when the pilot doesn't sync the props. The cycle lasts 2-3 seconds and is very regular. Its almost like the motor is hunting for the perfect settings at idle, an issue I have seen many times in computer logic.
I don't think it should do this, but I don't think its a 'problem'. The motor is so flawlessly smooth at operating RPM, it just jumps out at you when you are sitting at a light and there's that vibration. It might be something that could be fixed with programming, but with only 1,500 miles, I doubt its any 'malfunction'. Smaller motors are notoriously hard to balance. 8-cyl's balance each other out, with so many moving parts working against each other. Chrysler put counter-balance shafts in their 'bigger' 4-cyls to cut down on the shaking.

When I work with the service dept, I handle things I dont think are right differently from those that are a definite fault. An oil leak or an inoperative heater are different than "I think it SHOULD work differently". I plan on bringing up my ideas to the service manager, and hopefully if enough info feeds back to GM, there might be a tweak that could be applied. Maybe increase idle RPM by 50, whatever.
I agree with you on staying on good terms with the service dept. They are doing their job the best they can, and if there's nothing 'wrong', there's nothing for them to find. However, they can (and probably do) feed back customer responses where things that are correlated together and the bigger issues get noticed (see fuel tank baffle solution). We can help that by reporting it, voicing our preferences, and letting them do their work.
I don't get all ugly when I go in. I point out my feelings, and always clarify that they are my FEELINGS, not fact. I thought, at first glance, visibility was pretty poor from my SRX. The A-pillar is RIGHT where I need to be looking at a 4-way stop. I realize, though, that is just as much a factor of where I put my seat vs where GM put the pillar (and that it is wider/stronger than previous cars). I let them know my thoughts, what they do with it is their business.
I got a call from the deal about a week after I bought mine, saying if there was ANY (stressed several times) reason I couldn't give them or the car top marks on my customer satisfaction survey, to call them immediately for resolution. I have the idle issue, and seat position memory problems. I haven't taken it in for those yet (my scheduling fault) but will give them top marks none the less. They either care about my opinion or are blowing smoke up my ass, but either way, I'll do my part and give it to them in a cooperative, positive manner. Who knows, maybe this all gets fixed with that visit, and I'll drive away just as happy as I was when I went there.

You sound quite reasonable, as most of us are. We have reasonable expectations and opinions. There's just some things (food, cars and medical care pop into my mind) that you try and resolve with a positive attitude rather than switching straight into bitch mode. :-)