: Exhaust TONE question

a016738
11-21-11, 05:41 PM
Hi all...I've owned two trucks now with the 6.2...my last one was the Denali XL and now the EXT. Always LOVED the stock sound of both trucks...though for some reason I think my Denali was actually louder than the EXT. Anyway, in attempt to retain the stock, 'raspy' tone but add some volume my local shop installed a 22' Magnaflow today and I'm less than impressed. The tone totally changed. It's now way lower and much smoother and mellow. I also actually think the idle noise level went down and was replaced my a major boom around the 1700 RPM range. Seems like it's louder inside the cabin than outside. Anyway, the real question is has anyone run across a muffler (not cat-back system...wanted to save some dough) that retains the stock tone/personality but just adds some volume? The stock tone is unique...now mine sounds like any other clapped out sh*tbox pickup out there.

Thanks,

John

'07 EXT

hcvone
11-21-11, 07:22 PM
clapped out sh*tbox pickup out there.

Now that is funny. I always replace my system complete from long tubes to catback, having said that many truck owners removed the rear resonator to get a louder tone or sound, I replaced I believe my 03' muffler with a Borla replacement muffler, it sounded good from outside but had that interior drone, Magnaflow always has that deep tone, not really a fan of that. I really like the B&B exhaust, for real big block sound without interior noise, but they do not offer a muffler only, not sure what all your choice are

chirochris
11-23-11, 08:13 AM
corsa sport did just that for me...no noise in cabin, made stock sound that much better and if you want it to get nasty you hit the gas and poeple hear you but only if you want to...highway is quiet, no drone at all...love this one

hcvone
11-23-11, 09:31 AM
Had many Corsa systems and the nice thing is there is no interior drone from Corsa, someone said they sold just their mufflers, but I have not seen them listed

71Dragtruck
11-23-11, 09:39 AM
Had many Corsa systems and the nice thing is there is no interior drone from Corsa, someone said they sold just their mufflers, but I have not seen them listed

I heard they use to sell just the muffler but stopped and just sell the full system now. I think I saw just the muffler listed of either Jeg's or Summit at one time but not sure if they have them in stock anymore.

a016738
11-23-11, 06:28 PM
I took her back to my exhaust guy, told him I wasn't happy with the new sound and he swapped out a flowmaster 50 for the 22' magna flow for free and it's perfect! I was worried it'd be too loud but it's much less drone than the Magna and had that raspy 'bark' back but louder. It also gives me a good gurgle and pop as I downshift in manual mode...definitely a happy camper now.

I was a little leery of the 50 series but it's not offensive at all.

-John