: C6 push button start in the V's

Rabbitctsv
11-20-11, 10:27 PM
Im wondering if anyone has thought about or even looked into adding the push start in the V's line in the C6 corvette. if the fo-key is turned half way its in accessory mode, The corvette if you hit the bottom part of the button it goes into the same accessory mode, if you turn the key forward all the way it starts, if you hit the upper part of the button on the vette it starts. My question is how hard wound it be to make this mod? I loved the button in the corvette, And for what ever reason GM decided to put that ****ing key thing in our V's, its like they did that last sec and shipped them out. ive always thought that the V needs a better way to start it. but not a key, or fake key, maybe telepathy ??

930chas
11-22-11, 07:38 AM
Agreed 100%. When I first got in mine I couldn't figure out wtf was going on with the fake key in the ignition. It isn't like keyless go is brand new. MB has been doing it since 2004. I don't understand at all why there isn't a push button ignition.

JimmyH
11-22-11, 08:27 PM
Call me oldschool, but I like turning a key. I prefer actually having a key, but if I have to have keyless ignition, the CTS's vestigial key is better than a button.

Rabbitctsv
11-23-11, 10:43 AM
im going to buy the push button out of a totaled vette, and start looking for what im going to need, im sure there is a relay box that will need to go with the vette push button, so ill do some looking, i would hope someone would chime in that has done any thing with vette starters .

M5eater
11-23-11, 11:06 AM
I the SRX's I drove had push-button start. I'm not enthralled with the Idea if I'm honest.. I naturally go to turn a key to start a car- I think cadillac thought that most people buying a CTS would feel more comfortable with the keyless in this way- and also rembmer the smart key is an option on the normal CTS (or it was in 2008 at least)- so there's less cost involved in reusing the ignition this way instead of redesigning the dash and steering column for a button.

JimmyH
11-23-11, 03:04 PM
I am pretty sure that is why the CTS has the rotary ignition instead of pushbutton, because of the base CTS.

Club Malibu
11-24-11, 03:27 PM
Call me oldschool, but I like turning a key. I prefer actually having a key, but if I have to have keyless ignition, the CTS's vestigial key is better than a button.

Agree 100%

TimmyC
11-28-11, 11:17 PM
I like the button in my STS-V. It's the same system as the Vette. You can get a new STS/vette button from the dealer for less than $50. I'd do that before buying one from a yard. The early (05-07) ones cracked a lot.

Fireverm
11-29-11, 05:51 AM
One of my inital disappointments with the V was the lack of push button start.

DrVolkl
12-03-11, 02:58 PM
Anyone who doesn't like the "button" start just needs to get used to it. I prefer it for sure... I really miss it in my Audi S4. Definitely cooler way to fire up an engine.

If you really want a challenge, get a Porsche with the key on the left side of the steering wheel. You'll never stop looking for it on the right. lol

JimmyH
12-03-11, 05:52 PM
Anyone who doesn't like the "button" start just needs to get used to it.

Yes we do. It's as inevitable as power operated windows. But unlike power windows, push button start bites the big one. In a big way.

zinner
12-03-11, 06:02 PM
It's funny my wifes SRX has a push button, the lowest model in the lineup, my CTS-V has the fake key, and the Escalate the top of the line has a real key start. GM is never consistent about anything in their cars. I think it has to do with parts sourcing and cutting corners.

neuronbob
12-04-11, 08:16 PM
I don't think it's so much cutting corners as export market requirements. This was an issue with the last car I owned, an Acura RL. It has a keyless start requiring a turn of a fake key, exactly like the V. In export markets, it's known as the Honda Legend. In some markets Honda does business in, push button is not allowed yet. The fake key is a way to satisfy Americans, Japanese, and Europeans who want keyless entry and start, and yet satisfy the requirements of other export markets......or so we supposed in a similar discussion on Acurazine a few years ago.

I suspect it's much the same for the CTS-V, which is actively exported. Similar issue with the front bumper cutouts on our cars--we don't have headlight washers, but certain export markets do, and it's cheaper to make the same bumper for all CTSs/Vs. We therefore get stuck with functionless bumper cutouts.

In any case, I'm used to the fake key as I have now done it for over five years between the RL and CTS-V.

mrl859
12-05-11, 01:10 AM
I suspect it's much the same for the CTS-V, which is actively exported. Similar issue with the front bumper cutouts on our cars--we don't have headlight washers, but certain export markets do, and it's cheaper to make the same bumper for all CTSs/Vs.
Um.....I have headlight washers.

RapidRob
12-05-11, 11:19 PM
^^^ - +1, and my V2 is a 2009 ...

Rob

neuronbob
12-06-11, 05:40 PM
I've never seen mine work and there's no indication from the inside of the car that they are functioning. There is mention of them in the owner's manual as well. Hmmmm......I guess I'll have to test it today. If they work, I guess I will have Internet egg on my face. Oh well, it wouldn't be the first time. :)

RapidRob
12-06-11, 11:31 PM
To be fair Bob, I've never investigated the HL washers either. Never tried to use them ...

Rob

concorso
12-07-11, 10:10 PM
I forget which car had it, but I want to say the Mercedes Mclaren SLR. The start-up button was your typical red circle button, but it was on the gearshift, and you had to lift a a cover to access it. Thats something I would have talked about as a 15 yr old, if the 'SLR' was out then.

DrVolkl
12-08-11, 02:45 AM
I've never seen mine work and there's no indication from the inside of the car that they are functioning. There is mention of them in the owner's manual as well. Hmmmm......I guess I'll have to test it today. If they work, I guess I will have Internet egg on my face. Oh well, it wouldn't be the first time. :)

Yeah, section 5-7 talks about them... couple notes: Headlights have to be on and it only works every 5th time you wash your windshield.

Fireverm
12-08-11, 05:25 PM
I forget which car had it, but I want to say the Mercedes Mclaren SLR. The start-up button was your typical red circle button, but it was on the gearshift, and you had to lift a a cover to access it. Thats something I would have talked about as a 15 yr old, if the 'SLR' was out then.

It was indeed on the Mercedes SLR. And call me 15 if you have to, but I would buy that mod for our car in a heartbeat.

Caroutisine
12-10-11, 11:42 PM
I went from the CTS-V back to a Vette and that fake key is something I miss. Like to turn the key to start the car (even if it's fake), actually I would prefer to have a regular key in either of these cars. I don't like these FOBS. Nice for the keyless entry, but a waste for the keyless ignition. Anyone ever get "no fob detected?" Never get that message with a simple key.

JimmyH
12-11-11, 01:10 AM
I know people that have time and again got out of their car and left the engine running all day. Not really an issue for a V or vette. You aren't going mistake an engine that is running on one of these cars. But on a sedate V6, you can't always tell they are running.

muohio
12-11-11, 09:48 PM
I actually prefer the fake key over the push button on the Vette. The key is much easier to operate as it works like a normal car, especially for people that don't drive keyless ignition cars daily.

Xaqtly
01-27-12, 04:09 PM
I like the button on my gf's vette, and I wish the V had that.