: Camshaft pulley removal

JohnnyGauge
11-20-11, 06:55 PM
I am currently trying to remove the pulley on the camshaft. I rented a 3 prong pulley remover. The pulley itself is chewed up from the water pump pulley seizing up. The prongs are slipping off the pulley. Is it safe to dremel the plastic off the inner metal portion and use the pulley remover to pull the metal portion off?

ternstes
11-20-11, 06:57 PM
Use a power steering pulley remover. Borrow them from an autoparts place, or buy one at Harbor Freight for cheap.

Submariner409
11-21-11, 04:18 PM
The puller - whatever puller you use - grabs the groove in the cam pulley metal hub.

Remove the cam thread black plastic protective cover (if it's still in place) - and when you replace the drive pulley, use a proper sized metric bolt and an increasing stack of greased washers to push the new pulley hub flush with the end of the cam snout.

JohnnyGauge
11-21-11, 04:51 PM
Ahhh thank you so much! I will have to install the new one with an installer. They look pretty confusing if you have a thumbnail on how that works that would be great! thanks again!

ternstes
11-21-11, 06:38 PM
The end of the camshaft has a threaded hole. It's M8 x 1.25 threads. Get a bolt that size maybe 30 mm in length with some washers. Slip the new pulley onto the shaft a bit and thread the bolt with washers into the hole. Careful though, the hole only goes so deep. It does not take a lot of force to push the pulley on. If you get increasing resistance and the pulley isn't moving, you've bottomed out the bolt so add some more washers and try again. I always eyeball the cam pulley with the tensioner pulley to make sure they are both in line You do want them lined up straight otherwise the belt may come off or get shredded.

JohnnyGauge
11-23-11, 10:18 PM
Thank you!

JohnnyGauge
11-25-11, 06:33 PM
Ok so im at a crossroads here with this pulley and getting it off. Ive tried 2 different kinds. One was just a puller but the end of it did not have threads and I torqued it in. I may have screwed up the threads and may have to tap it. Assuming the thread size is M8x1.25. That puller did not work. I also tried a kit that was a puller and installer. It did not have a bolt that fit in the camshaft. The guy at the auto parts store called a dealer and they said it took a "special tool" so im at a point where I may have to go straight to the dealer and see what they can do for me as far as either showing me the tool and telling me where I can get it. Or renting it from them. Im getting a little frustrated. Thanks for any help!

Submariner409
11-25-11, 06:44 PM
Post #3.

The puller does not have threads which go into the cam - it uses a taper tip to center in the cam snout bore and a pair of fingers or slotted "grabber" to engage the cam pulley hub grooved area - turning the puller bolt against the cam snout bore pulls the drive pulley hub off the cam.

Exactly the reverse is used for the new pulley install. The proper sized metric bolt, with a beginning stack of greased washers, threaded into the cam snout, begins to push the hub onto the cam. Backing off and adding more washers will eventually push the hub onto the cam - flush with the snout end.

Either improvise with inexpensive makeshift tools or spend the $300+ for the dedicated Kent-Moore GM tools.

89falcon
11-25-11, 10:42 PM
Ok so im at a crossroads here with this pulley and getting it off. Ive tried 2 different kinds. One was just a puller but the end of it did not have threads and I torqued it in. I may have screwed up the threads and may have to tap it. Assuming the thread size is M8x1.25. That puller did not work. I also tried a kit that was a puller and installer. It did not have a bolt that fit in the camshaft. The guy at the auto parts store called a dealer and they said it took a "special tool" so im at a point where I may have to go straight to the dealer and see what they can do for me as far as either showing me the tool and telling me where I can get it. Or renting it from them. Im getting a little frustrated. Thanks for any help!

If you go too cheap on the puller, it will try to thread itself into the cam bolt hole. Get a quality puller, like the one in post 3 and it'll work....or just go to your local Autozone and borrow this:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/OEM-Power-steering-pulley-puller-installer-kit/_/N-26vd?counter=10&itemIdentifier=2075_0_0_&target=shelf