: AWD Concern

Eagle19
11-20-11, 05:13 PM
Hello Fellow SRXers-

We experienced our first 3-inch snowfall here in the Twin Cities last night, which means my 2010 SRX and I experienced our first drive together in the white fluffy stuff.

My previous car was a 2007 Honda CR-V with AWD. It was a wonderful vehicle in the snow and on the ice, so I expected a better drive with the Caddy SRX and since its a lot heavier then the CR-V, I figured I'd be in great shape. Boy, was I wrong. I've lived in Minnesota all my life and I experienced one of the worst drives that I can remember last night. I was going 20mph on a side street and actually fishtailed. Even my anti-lock brakes stunk. It felt as if I had no control of the vehicle.

So, am I missing something with an AWD SRX??? Is there a special button I'm missing (I'm kind of kidding and I'm kind of serious)??? The traction control was ON, the tires are only 19,000-miles old, the brakes are fine, etc. Anyone else experience crappy driving in the snow? Anyone experience a great drive in the snow (yes, there is a "great drive in the snow").

Any insight would be great!

Eagle19

smiley47
11-20-11, 06:20 PM
I recall how The Captain raved last winter about how well the SRX handled in the snow. And he's in Saskatchewan!! I'm sure he'll see your thread and comment.

Since I'm in AZ, I only had limited experience in snow with my AWD last winter but in 1"-2" slush it was fine and I don't recall any AWD gripes on the board earlier in the year. My guess is you have a malfunction of some sort.

MnMs
11-20-11, 07:11 PM
What tire are you running? Is it all season, or a summer tire?

smiley47
11-20-11, 08:11 PM
Eagle19-check out all the comments in the "Snow Tires" thread above. That should help answer your question.

MLEO
11-20-11, 11:04 PM
I started feeling a little slippage after the same amount of Miles on my 20" Michelin's and lost a little confidence in the snow, but nothing that bad. I can tell you from my experience it is not the AWD system. Not sure what tires or wheels you are running, but i recently picked up a set of 18" snows and wheels for this year as a result. The Snow's are not on yet and we have had no snow yet, but I hear the 20"s are not so good for winter driving and based on my experience with the "all seasons" last winter, i would have to agree and i will keep you posted on how it goes this year.

Eagle19
11-20-11, 11:19 PM
Thanks for the insight folks... The tires are an all-season.

I'll read the snow tire thread and I'll also have the dealership look at it when it goes in for an oild change.

TheCaptain
11-20-11, 11:19 PM
Don't forget everyone! All season tires are really NO Season tires! Because they're sort of good in snow, sort of good in dry, sort of good in wet, and usually horrible on ice. Nothing can beat dedicated seasonal tires, and 19 000 miles is asking a lot to expect any kind of performance from an all season tire in snow. :D

So ya, you're AWD concern has nothing to do with AWD, its ALL in the tires. This thing handles beautifully in the snow and ice with the right tires! ( I can attest to that even this past weekend! :D)

Eagle19
11-20-11, 11:29 PM
Don't forget everyone! All season tires are really NO Season tires! Because they're sort of good in snow, sort of good in dry, sort of good in wet, and usually horrible on ice. Nothing can beat dedicated seasonal tires, and 19 000 miles is asking a lot to expect any kind of performance from an all season tire in snow. :D

Great insight Captain. Sounds like its the tires. I was just surprised that an all-season tire on a much lighter CR-V would be a better winter drive then my beloved SRX on an all-season tire.

Denny41
11-21-11, 09:55 AM
Hi everyone, this is my first post as I could not stop myself from chiming in on this post. I’m anxiously waiting my 2012 SRX Performance AWD. It’s a GM ‘PEP’ car. Note: I don’t believe they call them PEP anymore. To get to my point, I had a 2006 SRX with stock tires. I live in Michigan and the drive on snow, and some ice, was beyond belief. That car stuck to the road like glue. I couldn’t stop telling everyone how amazed I was with that car and winter driving. To this day, I regret turning in that lease. I should have bought the car. BUT, I am so looking forward to my 2012. I miss my Cadillac’s. PS: This forum is great. Thanks everyone.

Ponyman
11-21-11, 03:02 PM
Welcome Denny!

GMJim
11-21-11, 03:10 PM
Welcome fellow Michigander.

Hockeytown 1340
11-25-11, 12:45 PM
Ditto. Welcome Michigander. Go WINGS!

Bejay
11-27-11, 01:20 AM
Welcome fellow Michigander, I just got my SRX also.

MnMs
11-27-11, 09:31 AM
Hi everyone, this is my first post as I could not stop myself from chiming in on this post. I’m anxiously waiting my 2012 SRX Performance AWD. It’s a GM ‘PEP’ car. Note: I don’t believe they call them PEP anymore. To get to my point, I had a 2006 SRX with stock tires. I live in Michigan and the drive on snow, and some ice, was beyond belief. That car stuck to the road like glue. I couldn’t stop telling everyone how amazed I was with that car and winter driving. To this day, I regret turning in that lease. I should have bought the car. BUT, I am so looking forward to my 2012. I miss my Cadillac’s. PS: This forum is great. Thanks everyone.

Welcome to the SRX forum. Let us know how your 2012 AWD SRX does in the snow this winter. I am very happy with my 2012 SRX Performance AWD. I have installed splash guards and snow tires so far.