: Remote start not working at cold temps...

Trickey280
11-20-11, 03:32 PM
It has been close to zero here in North Dakota for 3 mornings. Prior to these cold temps the remote start worked fine. The lights flash and I hear a click like its about to start but nothing. If I go out and start it then turn it off and tale the key out the remote start will work. Today after driving it I let it sit for a while, it is 15 out, and I then tried to use the remote start and nothing..... Will installing an after market remote start system solve the problem? We were thinking of getting one cuz the stock one doesn't work when I am at work due to the building but I drove my husbands Tahoe that has astrostart and it worked fine.

murphy
11-20-11, 04:15 PM
Not sure why your remote is mal functioning (likely a programming tweak by dealer needed) but I'd say almost every after market remote start is better than the factory unit.
I just installed http://www.viper.com/SmartStart/iPhone/Canada/ and it works great. i opted to get the two way fob as well as the iphone module start feature and now can start my Platinum from virtually anyhwhere with unlimited range. Was at the hockey game the other night in the Colosseum and my vehicle was at the park and ride about 15 miles away. Was nice and toasty when I got to it and it was -18C.

MrHolland
11-20-11, 04:55 PM
I had an aftermarket alarm and remote start on a suburban and after a period of time it began not starting by using the remote. Same story, I could go outside and start it with a key and it would start. After I started with the key it would later start with the remote. Long story short, I replaced the battery in the car and life was once again good. Probably wont fix your problem but I felt compelled to mention it and recommend testing your battery. At least a battery load test is free!! Goodluck

smiley47
11-20-11, 07:07 PM
One benefit of aftermarket remote starts is they can be programed to run longer than the 10 minute OEM remote start. Mine works fine but at times I'd appreciate a longer run time.

murphy
11-20-11, 07:09 PM
One benefit of aftermarket remote starts is they can be programed to run longer than the 10 minute OEM remote start. Mine works fine but at times I'd appreciate a longer run time.
Correct and you can re-start as often as you wish versus just twice with OEM and also program for a timed or temp self start. Some even have proximity locking/unlocking

MrHolland
11-20-11, 08:25 PM
Just for clarification, my aftermarket alarm and remote start worked great. I didn't mean/want my reply to sound like I was discouraging someone from using an aftermarket set up. The aftermarket brands are high customizable!!

murphy
11-20-11, 08:30 PM
And a little more info..some of the older systems required reprogramming by the installer if your car battery went dead...I don't believe this is a trait of the newer models tho

hcvone
11-21-11, 07:52 AM
Have used mine in -30 before without issue, we get real cold up here, the stock remote does have a limited range but that's not a problem in the woods where we live. How good is your trucks battery?

JJaiman
11-21-11, 12:27 PM
I'm having the same issue but have a brand new battery and it's not nearly as cold. My lights flash like it's going to start and nothing happens.

MrHolland
11-21-11, 09:35 PM
Factory or aftermarket system? My aftermarket system would do this same thing when in valet mode.

JJaiman
11-22-11, 10:56 AM
Factory system for me. I also made sure I had remote start marked as yes.

Kazo Zako
01-14-14, 01:22 AM
This is old thread but there's one issue not mentioned, if there's any fault code registered - even pending - so no yellow warning - remote start won't work. I have different issue and it is probably related to the battery, car won't start with the key or remote for several attempts, then you try again, press buttons on remote - nothing just faint click under hood, than you open the door to get in - about 8 -10 seconds later and car starts by itself!? I will test the battery and get to the bottom of the issue....

hcvone
01-14-14, 06:09 AM
This is old thread but there's one issue not mentioned, if there's any fault code registered - even pending - so no yellow warning - remote start won't work. I have different issue and it is probably related to the battery, car won't start with the key or remote for several attempts, then you try again, press buttons on remote - nothing just faint click under hood, than you open the door to get in - about 8 -10 seconds later and car starts by itself!? I will test the battery and get to the bottom of the issue....

If your battery is stock I am sure that is the issue, the stock Delco's do not usually last that long because of the load these trucks draw when sitting.