: Diff whine at 40mph.

07maralade
11-19-11, 09:10 PM
I'm getting a whine from my 2007 when I stay at a constant speed at 40mph. No whine on deceleration, only light accleration and keeping constant speed. I have about 60 or 70 days left on my powertrain warranty so I need to bring it to the dealer quick. Only problem is that I put Amsoil Synthetic 75w-90 in it about a year and a half ago. Will the Amsoil cause warranty cancellation? Should I go and get the Gm purple diff oil before I bring it in?

Anyone else get a whine from the drivetrain at 40mph? I know this was a very common problem with the 02-06s because I know exactly 3 people who have replaced diffs in their GMT800 AWD suvs.

Tec80
11-20-11, 11:48 PM
Mine whines between 40-45MPH, has since new. Synth 75W90 seemed to help. If yours is noticeably louder than it used to be, that may be a bearing failure happening. Getting the dealer to fix it may be difficult.

hcvone
11-21-11, 07:29 AM
I'm getting a whine from my 2007 when I stay at a constant speed at 40mph. No whine on deceleration, only light accleration and keeping constant speed. I have about 60 or 70 days left on my powertrain warranty so I need to bring it to the dealer quick. Only problem is that I put Amsoil Synthetic 75w-90 in it about a year and a half ago. Will the Amsoil cause warranty cancellation? Should I go and get the Gm purple diff oil before I bring it in?

Anyone else get a whine from the drivetrain at 40mph? I know this was a very common problem with the 02-06s because I know exactly 3 people who have replaced diffs in their GMT800 AWD suvs.

The biggest problem is owners do not change their gear oil enough, all cars/trucks today carry the smallest amount of oil and even though it's synthetic from the factory it can only last so long, and does get very hot with limited cooling under the cars/trucks today. No Amsoil will not void anything, it's much better than what was in the truck from the factory, and you do not need the oil additive with Amsoil. You see more of a problem with the older trucks only because of their age, the problems will show up in these trucks too because as I said many owners barely even change the engine oil. :(

Cadillac Cust Svc
11-21-11, 09:18 AM
07maralade,
I do not believe that changing the oil type would cancel the warranty; you can talk to your warranty manager and your local dealership to find out for sure. Have you made an appointment yet to get the whine checked out? Let me know how it goes.
Breanne
Cadillac Customer Service

krieghoff
11-21-11, 10:40 AM
My ESV had a whine noise in it. When I took it to the dealer I told him I wasn't sure if I was just hearing things!

He called to to me the axle bearings were out of it.

They replaced them and no more noise!

Get it checked as soon as possible!!

Rolex
11-21-11, 11:18 AM
This has been a common problem with Escalades for years. Based on the complaints I've seen over the years and the ultimate solutions, the dealership will typically try replacing carrier bearings and fluids first to ameliorate the whining. Historically the carrier bearing change and fluid change is just buying you a little more time before you have to replace the entire differential.

I've even seen owners here that have had their differentials replaced multiple times for the same issue. It seems like the front differentials are more prone to failure than the rear for some reason. My 03' escalade's front diff was howling like a lone wolf before I sold it.

hcvone
11-21-11, 01:03 PM
This has been a common problem with Escalades for years. Based on the complaints I've seen over the years and the ultimate solutions, the dealership will typically try replacing carrier bearings and fluids first to ameliorate the whining. Historically the carrier bearing change and fluid change is just buying you a little more time before you have to replace the entire differential.

I've even seen owners here that have had their differentials replaced multiple times for the same issue. It seems like the front differentials are more prone to failure than the rear for some reason. My 03' escalade's front diff was howling like a lone wolf before I sold it.

You are right it has been a problem, but with all the trucks not just GM, they cut down on size, under car/truck cooling and of course making everything as small and cheap as possible, even more reason to change the diff oils often. :)