: 2012 SRX Owners--Any open sunroof noise?

smiley47
11-19-11, 03:52 PM
The 2010 SRX sunroof makes a horrible wind buffeting sound when open. The only known "fix" is to lower the rear side windows a bit which does reduce the annoying sound somewhat.

Does the 2012 sunroof make any unusually irritating noise? Hopefully GM fixed the problem.

PJ1520
11-19-11, 05:57 PM
Fully open or partially open, say a foot?

PJ

MnMs
11-19-11, 06:53 PM
I have owned several makes and model cars with sun roof and they all made a noise. Wish they would stop making cars with a so called moon roof.

PJ1520
11-19-11, 07:59 PM
Disagree. I use mine A LOT. If it is raining, snowing, or below 20, no. Love the fresh air.

PJ

smiley47
11-19-11, 10:50 PM
Fully open or partially open, say a foot.?

PJ

I'm asking about the noise comparison between the second gen 2010 and the 2012. PJ your profile shows a 2007.

PJ1520
11-20-11, 12:45 AM
Smiley.......yes, I have a 2007. My point was with the deflector and the air flow over a one foot sunroof opening versus fully open. Are you sure your deflector is deploying, or deploying fully on you 2010?

PJ

allgm
11-20-11, 09:21 AM
Smiley my 2010 SRX is the same as yours. Flutter, buffeting, wind noise. At every position. I don't even open it any more. I have had five other sunroofs all GM this has the worst wind noise. Cracking the back window helps but not fix for me. Yes deflector is working.

smiley47
11-20-11, 11:15 AM
Smiley.......yes, I have a 2007. My point was with the deflector and the air flow over a one foot sunroof opening versus fully open. Are you sure your deflector is deploying, or deploying fully on you 2010?

PJ

Th deflector is fully deployed. It just doesn't function properly. I'm suspicious that since the sunroof deploys on top of the pano glass and not inside the roof/headliner that might be causing the noise. The deflector design on my '10 Escalade is virtually identical and it is extremely quiet. Over the years I've probably had 15-20 cars/ SUV's/pick-ups with sunroofs and even a couple with pano roofs and none of them have made this much 'racket". That's why I'm trying to determine if the 2012 SRX sunroof has been "fixed".

PJ1520
11-21-11, 11:04 AM
Smiley........have to agree. GenI or GenII, I agree this is the noisiest sunroof I have ever had, at least for me when it is partially deployed. Foreign, domestic, GM or no. Our Infinity has no such buffeting racket, regardless of the position it is in.

PJ

stevec5375
11-21-11, 05:21 PM
I found my 2010's sunroof noise to be so unbearable that I keep it closed. Here we are 3 years later and it's still a problem. Any bulletins related to a fix?

smiley47
11-21-11, 06:12 PM
I'd still like to hear from a 2012 owner to see if the problem has been fixed. They must not understand what us 2010 "trailblazers" have gone through. LOL

stevec5375
11-21-11, 06:27 PM
GM personnel need to read this book: Raving Fans (http://www.amazon.com/Raving-Fans-Revolutionary-Approach-Customer/dp/0688123163/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1321918014&sr=8-1). It takes about an hour.

Caddybill
11-22-11, 12:14 AM
The 2010 SRX sunroof makes a horrible wind buffeting sound when open. The only known "fix" is to lower the rear side windows a bit which does reduce the annoying sound somewhat.

Does the 2012 sunroof make any unusually irritating noise? Hopefully GM fixed the problem.

Smiley, the question might be, are there any cars that don't have wind noise with an open sun roof?
Every new car I have owned since 1984 has had a sun roof and they all have wind noise when open. Just the same as having a side window open. I have never heard of a quiet open sun roof yet.

smiley47
11-22-11, 10:19 AM
Smiley, the question might be, are there any cars that don't have wind noise with an open sun roof?
Every new car I have owned since 1984 has had a sun roof and they all have wind noise when open. Just the same as having a side window open. I have never heard of a quiet open sun roof yet.

This is not normal sunroof noise. As I mentioned I've had at least 15 vehicles with sunroofs so I know what sunroof noise is. This is not the same "as having a side window open". You cannot talk to the person in the passenger seat without shouting. Other posters have commented that it's so loud they don't open it anymore.

If you think your 2011 is normal sunroof noise then maybe they fixed it afteer the 2010 model year. That's what I'm trying to determine.

Huey Driver
11-22-11, 11:58 AM
I think my 2012 is normal, but I havent really used it much yet. On the couple times I did, I have noticed the typical 'thunder' that all my previous sunroofs have had, but opening a (rear) window a little fixes all that.
I would normally have side windows down if the weather was nice enough to warrant the top being open. Since mine is under a month old, tho, I'm still in the 'enjoyment' phase of my car, not really looking for things I dont like...

PJ1520
11-23-11, 03:14 PM
This is not normal sunroof noise. As I mentioned I've had at least 15 vehicles with sunroofs so I know what sunroof noise is. This is not the same "as having a side window open". You cannot talk to the person in the passenger seat without shouting. Other posters have commented that it's so loud they don't open it anymore.

If you think your 2011 is normal sunroof noise then maybe they fixed it afteer the 2010 model year. That's what I'm trying to determine.

smiley.......sometimes that is a good thing. :bouncy:

PJ

smiley47
11-23-11, 04:26 PM
smiley.......sometimes that is a good thing. :bouncy:

PJ

I never looked at it that way.

TheCaptain
11-24-11, 12:04 PM
lol. This must be a different sound then the buffering then fella's? I know mine buffers if you don't have a window open(/cracked), and go over a certain speed. But unless you go up to highway speed its still quiet enough to talk to the person next to ya.

SoCalSRX
11-28-11, 08:28 PM
lol. This must be a different sound then the buffering then fella's? I know mine buffers if you don't have a window open(/cracked), and go over a certain speed. But unless you go up to highway speed its still quiet enough to talk to the person next to ya.

My 2011 does the same thing. The buffet is more of an annoyance; it's not very loud but it makes my inner ears uncomfortable (like a plane that's not properly pressurized). As a result, I've discovered two options -- only opening the moonroof about as far as the backs of the front seats or, if I want the moonroof open all the way, cracking one of the back windows open about an inch.

TheCaptain
11-28-11, 10:52 PM
Exactly right. With such a large space now missing from the roof, plus the sunroof goes to the outside of the vehicle, it creates a small amount of buffeting that could only be rectified by some, 'not very beautiful' hardware either attached to the front, or back of the sunroof.
I think what some of the people here are describing something louder then just the 'normal' buffeting for such a large roof opening.

PJ1520
11-29-11, 12:39 PM
The open air ride still is one of my favorite options. Better than worrying about a soft convertible top getting battered in the Winter, sliced by vandals or thieves, and better than the hassle of T-tops (RIP). I'll take the buffeting noise to get the open air experience any day.

When you haul around dogs like I have to (even in crates), airing out the SRX so it still smells new (leather) takes some doing. Add in laundering the crate bedding and vacuuming weekly. The open top airs things out in a hurry, year round.

PJ

stevec5375
11-29-11, 05:48 PM
Exactly right. With such a large space now missing from the roof, plus the sunroof goes to the outside of the vehicle, it creates a small amount of buffeting that could only be rectified by some, 'not very beautiful' hardware either attached to the front, or back of the sunroof.
I think what some of the people here are describing something louder then just the 'normal' buffeting for such a large roof opening.

The roof doesn't open completely. In fact, the opening is not much larger, if any, than my last SUV which DID NOT have the undesirable wind buffeting. It's a design flaw plain and simple.

SoCalSRX
11-29-11, 05:59 PM
The roof doesn't open completely. In fact, the opening is not much larger, if any, than my last SUV which DID NOT have the undesirable wind buffeting. It's a design flaw plain and simple.

My 2002 Lexus RX300 had a much smaller moonroof, and the buffeting was worse!

stevec5375
11-29-11, 06:01 PM
My 2002 Lexus RX300 had a much smaller moonroof, and the buffeting was worse!

Is that why you switched to Cadillac?

SoCalSRX
11-29-11, 06:19 PM
Oh, don't get me started on how much I disliked my RX300 and Lexus as a company. :rant2:

TheCaptain
11-30-11, 06:06 AM
Steve loves Lexus. Let him down easy. :D

Or was it Infinity? :hmm:

stevec5375
11-30-11, 06:27 PM
Steve loves Lexus. Let him down easy. :D

Or was it Infinity? :hmm:

It was Infiniti (with an "i", DUH)

Every Lexus I sit in my head hits the ceiling. They must be made for tiny people.

Huey Driver
12-04-11, 03:25 PM

I disagree completely! It's more aerodynamics, which admittedly probably neither of us understand, but my past couple cars would make your ears bleed. Nowhere near a 'design flaw' if all you need to do is crack a window to rectify.

xrs01
12-05-11, 03:53 PM
Every Lexus I sit in my head hits the ceiling. They must be made for tiny people.

Or people with little heads.

Trippy
12-05-11, 06:06 PM
Or people with little heads.

Hmmm.... Your logic escapes me. Wouldn't a little head stand less chance of hitting the ceiling rather than a large one?