Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1970 AND 1979 Interchange of engine/tranny?

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  DaveSmed 
#1 ·
Hello all...
After being chastised severely of late, I have found what I think is a donor car for a 425.
When did the 425 get FI?
The ad for the 1979 CDV says it also has a rebuilt tranny.
So..does the '79 CDV use the same TH400 as the '70 CDV?
Thanks,
Mike

#2 ·
all 425's had an option of FI.... it had 15hp more then carb version....

yes, smae tranny....

425 is same engine as 472/500.... different crank, pistons and heads... that's all... they all interchange, and bolt up.....

.... but it dosn't make sense to put a 425 in a '70 when you already have a 472.... it isn't like there is going to be alot saved in fuel millage...

... plus the '70 472 dosn't have any emmsisions gear... and it is 10:1 compression.... the '79 425 has EGR, cat conv. and in some cases an AIR pump (IIRC only Cali cars? mine dosn't have one) not to mention 8.2:1 compression...

just my opinion, I would keep the 472.... most guys want the bigger engines in their car, not a smaller engine.... I would love to build up a 500 and get it in my '79....

#3 ·
The 472 in my '70 has a mysterious little window in the oil pan where something decided to leave at a high rate of speed.
When I first got it my Dad and I fired it up and heard a noise so we shut it off, fast. :hmm:
It appears that little hole is why I got the car so cheap.
The car is a few hunderd miles away at the moment. (Long story, but it is mine again.)
I want an engine in there to run until I get the 472 fixed, which won't be real soon, what with a budget and all.
Thanks,
Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.