: How about some reviews of replacement windshield wipers?

KevinOpp
11-17-11, 08:33 PM
A brief scan of Amazon shows the brands they have that are compatible with the 2010 SRX are the PIAA Si-Tech Silicone, Siliblade Uni Hybrid Silicone, Trico Neoform with Teflon, Trico Flex, Valeo Premium, and some other junky ones.

It's probably not the worst idea to have a thread going of people's experience with some of these brands, and their driving environment (snow/ice, rain, sun). I myself am still on the OEM blades which performed wonderfully in New York winters, but am looking to put some new ones on down here in sunny Florida.

If anyone wants to post any kudos or horror stories, add it! Any issues with certain sizes, adapters, squeaking, chattering, longevity, etc. I think this will make a helpful database for the forum.

Kevin:cool2:

allgm
11-17-11, 08:45 PM
Anco Contour Premium Profile Blade O.E Fit & Form C-26-OE & C-17-OE . Around $30.00 for both. Look like the originals.
I am pleased with them.

sube5186
11-17-11, 10:42 PM
Great idea to start a thread on wiper blades. It just so happens I ordered a pair of PIAA Si-Tech (Silicone Technology) Flat Wiper Blades from Amazon a few days ago. They've yet to arrive. I'll report back once I install them and try them out. The part nos. are 97065 (driver) and 97043 (passenger). They're not exactly cheap, but still slightly less than OEM, which are just plain rubber. These are a patented silicone impregnated rubber, which are supposed to be quieter, streak-free and longer lasting. We'll see.

http://www.piaa.com/WiperBlades/si-tech.html

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004BT8DIC/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details

Sube

KevinOpp
11-18-11, 12:22 AM
These are a patented silicone impregnated rubber, which are supposed to be quieter, streak-free and longer lasting.
Sube

i've been particularly curious about these since they're supposed to impart the silicone to the windshield over the span of several months, saying that it will basically get cleaner and cleaner as time goes one. looking forward to your report.

you can do a Consumer Reports type thing and just run them on high speed in your garage for a week and then tell us the results. ;-)

sube5186
11-18-11, 10:26 AM
i've been particularly curious about these since they're supposed to impart the silicone to the windshield over the span of several months, saying that it will basically get cleaner and cleaner as time goes one. looking forward to your report.

you can do a Consumer Reports type thing and just run them on high speed in your garage for a week and then tell us the results. ;-)

Yeah, I'll be sure to turn on the built-in overhead jet sprayers in my garage ceiling. I'm sure the wife won't mind the soggy walls. :histeric:

On the serious note, speaking of Consumer Reports, they've yet to test the Si-Tech series. They did test the PIAA Super Silicone and gave them an excellent rating in "cleaning".

Sube

sube5186
11-21-11, 06:46 PM
Great idea to start a thread on wiper blades. It just so happens I ordered a pair of PIAA Si-Tech (Silicone Technology) Flat Wiper Blades from Amazon a few days ago. They've yet to arrive. I'll report back once I install them and try them out. The part nos. are 97065 (driver) and 97043 (passenger). They're not exactly cheap, but still slightly less than OEM, which are just plain rubber. These are a patented silicone impregnated rubber, which are supposed to be quieter, streak-free and longer lasting. We'll see.

http://www.piaa.com/WiperBlades/si-tech.html

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004BT8DIC/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details

Sube

Well, my PIAA Si-Tech wiper blades came in the mail today. AVOID THESE WIPERS LIKE THE PLAGUE!!! :thumbdown: First of all, they come with multiple different adapters. This should have been a clue that things would rapidly go downhill from there. You have to look at several diagrams on the back of the package and TRY to figure out which pic looks most like your wiper arms. I say "look" because there were no instructions to read. I had to hunt through their website for instructions that should have been printed on the package. So they saved about 2 cents worth of ink by NOT printing directions on the package and making you search their website. Once I did find the instructions link, it was only marginally better than no instructions at all. They tell you to remove one adapter and install another. Well, they never explain exactly HOW you're supposed to remove it. The parts are brittle plastic and I was afraid to exert too much force for fear of breaking it. I finally decided what the hell, so I forced it. The correct adapter looked exactly the same on both sides. Wrong! Closer examination revealed two tiny nubs on one end, meaning it would only install one way. First, I had to partially remove the rubber skirt that runs along the top edge of the blade. You weren't even supposed to remove this, but it was the only way the adapter would install. Then, I struggled to slide the adapter on. I finally got that piece on. Next, I had to snap another cheap plastic adapter over top of that piece. When I tried to slide the entire contraption onto the wiper arm of the car, it never did snap into place. I wiggled, pushed, pulled every which way you could imagine. :cursin: I never got the definitive "click" I was waiting for. I kept envisioning driving down the highway at 70 m.p.h. only to see my wipers go flying off in the rain and the wiper arm gouge deep scratches into my windshield. That vision alone was enough for me to package this crap up and send them back.

For those of you who are wondering, "Maybe it's just Sube who's technically incompetent." Wrong! I've installed dozens of wiper blades on a multitude of different vehicles over the last 30+ years. I've NEVER seen any as poorly designed as these.

At lease my efforts weren't completely in vain. I figured if nothing else I could save a bunch of folks the hassle of experiencing this nightmare. I swear these car companies intentionally make a hundred different designs of wiper blades. They could all make one universal style.....if they wanted to. No, they're relying on our frustration with after market blades to bring us back to the overpriced OEM ones. And in this case their plan worked.

Sube

stevec5375
11-21-11, 06:54 PM
Sube,

Sorry to hear about your tribulations. I don't know if it's a local outfit or not (althought I suspect it is), but PEP Boys always do my wipers. They take off the old ones and put on the new ones for the simple cost of the blades. Then I usually end up with a $20 rebate for one of the blades which they honor within 4 weeks.

I'm impressed. You know I don't say that lightly.

sube5186
11-22-11, 12:04 AM
Sube,

Sorry to hear about your tribulations. I don't know if it's a local outfit or not (althought I suspect it is), but PEP Boys always do my wipers. They take off the old ones and put on the new ones for the simple cost of the blades. Then I usually end up with a $20 rebate for one of the blades which they honor within 4 weeks.

I'm impressed. You know I don't say that lightly.

Thanks Steve. Yeah, I'm very familiar with Pep Boys. I have a few of them close by. My last experience with them and wiper blades was almost worse than this one. They pulled my wife's car into the bay to install them free of charge. Only they had all sorts of problems with the adapter for her car as well. They finally gave up and sent us on our way basically telling us we were out of luck. I guess I just have bad luck with wipers. :annoyed:

Sube

stevec5375
11-22-11, 05:50 PM
Thanks Steve. Yeah, I'm very familiar with Pep Boys. I have a few of them close by. My last experience with them and wiper blades was almost worse than this one. They pulled my wife's car into the bay to install them free of charge. Only they had all sorts of problems with the adapter for her car as well. They finally gave up and sent us on our way basically telling us we were out of luck. I guess I just have bad luck with wipers. :annoyed:

Sube

They did mine in the parking lot and didn't even bother making me pull into a bay; otherwise, I would have just done it myself. My motto is the less they (being anyone) mess with it, the less chance they have of f**king it up.

KevinOpp
02-20-12, 08:16 PM
i'm bumping this back up---c'mon people, what have you been using?

scurling
02-20-12, 11:50 PM
I have come to loathe the price of wiper blades. I am one of those penny-pinchers who use to replace the rubber insert, but inserts are getting very difficult to find. Since I change blades about every 6 to 8 months, I usually get the cheaper units, and pass on those brands guaranteed to last a year or longer.

The last blades I purchased were the GoodYear brand sold at CostCo. I forget the price, but they were very reasonable, that's why I bought them.

rdfrahm
02-21-12, 01:43 PM
I have come to loathe the price of wiper blades. I am one of those penny-pinchers who use to replace the rubber insert, but inserts are getting very difficult to find. Since I change blades about every 6 to 8 months, I usually get the cheaper units, and pass on those brands guaranteed to last a year or longer.

The last blades I purchased were the GoodYear brand sold at CostCo. I forget the price, but they were very reasonable, that's why I bought them.

I'll second this. What the heck happened to the $1.95 refills? $20 per blade?? It's crazy. And they don't work any better or last any longer.

Rich

stevec5375
02-21-12, 06:01 PM
I'll second this. What the heck happened to the $1.95 refills? $20 per blade?? It's crazy. And they don't work any better or last any longer.

Rich

It's called "inflation" with a bit of gouging thrown in for good measure. ;)

am6948
02-22-12, 12:42 PM
Goodyear blades at Costo cost $ 7.99 ea.

dctex99
02-22-12, 01:37 PM
I second the Goodyear ones from Costco;;very easy to install and do a great job; will put them on all my vehicles this spring!!

Andy_TN
02-22-12, 04:09 PM
Third on the Goodyear wipers from Costco. HOWEVER, I see no way that the complete wiper fits the OEM arm.

As a result, I resorted to fitting the inserts into the OEM blade/unit. I will try to post the pics later tonight...

Andy_TN
02-23-12, 11:24 AM
So here's how to refill your OEM blade assembly with a Goodyear insert. I know it's by far from a perfect or "neat" solution, but look at the end result.

[I apologize for the horrendous iphone pics, but it was the best I could do in a hurry]

Gently pry off the plastic end cap on the OEM assembly:
http://images61.fotki.com/v218/photos/4/48510/325829/photo6-vi.jpg

That leaves you with this metal retainer/clip:
http://images60.fotki.com/v662/photos/4/48510/325829/photo2-vi.jpg
http://images60.fotki.com/v778/photos/4/48510/325829/photo7-vi.jpg

Bend back the end 'tab' like so which will allow the rubber insert to slide out easily:
http://images16.fotki.com/v383/photos/4/48510/325829/photo7-vi.jpg

Pry up these side tabs just slightly, so that you can remove this silver clip/retainer from the assembly. Wait, why can't I just slide the new insert in? Well you'll notice these metal retainer clips are a source of "resistance" to the new, slightly thicker Goodyear insert. So it must come off (only one end of course):
http://images55.fotki.com/v648/photos/4/48510/325829/photo3-vi.jpg

Now, YMMV depending on what brand of insert you may be working with, but for the Goodyear inserts [on the LEFT in the photo] you'll notice they are 'wider,' for the lack of a better descriptor, at the top. They will slide in just fine until you get about halfway to where the arm attaches - there is where you meet the resistance and the reason why you need to trim:
http://images55.fotki.com/v648/photos/4/48510/325829/photo4-vi.jpg

Gotta trim it down a bit, so get our your scissors and cut. You only need to trim half of the insert, as the other half doesn't need to slide past the restrictive point. I know, it's ugly and not straight but it doesn't matter:
http://images16.fotki.com/v377/photos/4/48510/325829/photo6-vi.jpg
http://images16.fotki.com/v369/photos/4/48510/325829/photo6-vi.jpg

Now just pull the insert through, which could take some working depending upon how well you trimmed. But the silicone blade is extremely tough/resilient - you can pull quite hard if needed.
And this is the end result:
http://images61.fotki.com/v390/photos/4/48510/325829/photo3-vi.jpg

Questions/comments/badgering for being such a cheapskate - feel free ;-)

Ponyman
03-03-12, 10:26 AM
I just got a set from the Caddy dealer yesterday. $47 for the three. The original ones lasted two years. I know there are probably better blades out there, but I wanted blades that fit without having to use adapters, and no one else seemed to make the rear blade. That blade guard on the rear wiper was kind of hard to figure out how to get it off. Turns out it just slides off to the left. just takes a little elbow grease.

KevinOpp
03-03-12, 07:06 PM
I just got a set from the Caddy dealer yesterday. $47 for the three.

wow---i had to replace the passenger one last year when it shredded, and it was $31 for that blade alone at the dealership. that's why i tried to get this thread going. and i have not seen any of those wiper books at the auto stores that even mention the rear wiper.

Ponyman
03-03-12, 07:44 PM
It was $46.61 including tax for all three blades. 21.85 and 17 something after the discount for the two fronts, and around 14 and 9 something for the rear, plus tax. I would be more specific, but I have already thrown the recipt away, and was just looking at the total in my checkbook. I didn't think that was too bad. Napa could get the fronts, O Reilly had the fronts, but you had to use adapters, and neither had the rear blade listed, so after finding they were reasonable, I just ordered them all from Caddy, only took one day for the local dealership to get them. Only problem installing them was figuring out that the cover on the rear blade had to be slid off the the left, and it took a little bit of elbow grease. It definetly won't come off accidentally.

Marc NY
03-04-12, 06:25 AM
wow---i had to replace the passenger one last year when it shredded, and it was $31 for that blade alone at the dealership. that's why i tried to get this thread going. and i have not seen any of those wiper books at the auto stores that even mention the rear wiper.My dealer told me that they won't charge their custmors more than $20.00 for a wiper blade so I figured I would just get my blades there which they will also install them for free.

IMHO: It isn't worth the all the trouble or hassle of trying to use adapters and or fighting with the blades to try and retro fit them etc etc.

*Hey one can always go to SAMs Club buy them for around $10.00 and let them instal them for free ... if one is looking to save a few bucks.

BTW: Great pics Andy thanks for sharing your story... :)