: tranny and rear end fluid change

ZX_man
11-03-04, 03:05 PM
Need some advice. I just turned 56K and wanted to change out the tranny and rear end fluid. Any experience with something other than OEM dealer recommended, such as Redline or Amsoil? Any difference you can "feel" as in smoother shifting, lower tranny temp when towing or better fuel economy? Any help and info as always is appreciated.

Regards

Walter

Daryl in KY
11-04-04, 10:29 AM
I replaced the drive train/tranny fluids on my '00 with Redline tranny & gear lube. I added the GM differential lock suppliment to the rear end lube. It is difficult to tell much of a differance because the factory lubes are synthetic. The rear end developed a gear whine maybe 9 months after I changed the fluids. They replaced the gear sets under warranty. I don't believe that the lube was a factor, as the dealer didn't seem to act like replacing the gears was unusual. I'm sure that they put GM lube back in the rear end. I haven't been able to tell any differance in the way the tranny shifts like you can sometimes tell when going from conventional tranny fluid to synthetic. I had a tire shop change the fluids, as there are no drain plugs on the transfer case or the rear end.

I believe the biggest affects on gas mileage on my 'Lade are due to tire pressure and engine oil. I definitly see better MPG after I change oil, maybe 1 to 1.5 MPG on the road. Can't tell much differance around town. I change oil & filter between 9,000 & 10,000 miles. I've seen studies where Amosoil's viscosity increases with time. http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/oil-life.html

I suspect that Redline may be similar. I've run Mobil 1 in other vehicles and have experienced similar lowering of MPG as miles increase. I don't intend to start a controversy over oils/benefits, just relating my experience.

The synthetics provide better lube at high miles than fresh dyno oil, so running extended oil change intervals (with a good filter) doesn't harm the engine. But with gas in the $2.00 to $2.50 range it may be more cost efficient to change oil at lower miles to keep the MPG better.

hcvone
11-04-04, 02:03 PM
We used Red Line for years when they sponsered us, we switched to Amsoil several years ago, they make a good product, you may see a slight increase in fuel mileage depending if your rears have synthetic oil, I know in 03' there was synthetic in the rears

MEJIA
11-04-04, 02:53 PM
Need some advice. I just turned 56K and wanted to change out the tranny and rear end fluid. Any experience with something other than OEM dealer recommended, such as Redline or Amsoil? Any difference you can "feel" as in smoother shifting, lower tranny temp when towing or better fuel economy? Any help and info as always is appreciated.

Regards

Walter

The day I bought my truck, I changed my tranny fluid and rear end fluid for synthetic. I instantly felt smoother and firmer shifts due to the synthetic ATF, with the rear end fluid change I didnt noticed any change, but I can expect better protection to the gears with syn fluid in them

Mejia