: STS 2008 Platinum Edition - no back up camera - can we add one?

Linda in JAX
11-17-11, 03:41 PM
The car has all the bells and whistles - except a back up camera. I rent for business a lot and have gotten Hertz cars with back
up cameras where the picture shows up on either the screen of the GPS or in a section of the rear view mirror.

Can anyone tell me if this feature can be added to the STS 2008. It would be awesome to have it show in the screen used for
GPS or at least on rear view mirror.

Thanks

Subsailor613
11-17-11, 07:06 PM
Hi, does the platinum edition have;
HUD,
Adaptive Cruise Control,
Lane Departure Warning,
Side Blindspot Alert,
Magnetic Ride
Nav,
Sunroof,
and V8 , Northstar ?
Appreciate your responce, It also comes with the back up alert system, which works very well.
Looking at a screen while backing, seems BAD to me, as then you are taking your eyes OFF the road, the installed system lets you see the alarm
light,in the REAR VIEW Mirror, and HEAR the beep,And still NOT take your eyes OFF the road.
How close your are to something.Just my opinion.
Should be easy to add one, but hooking it up to your Nav screen or Rear View mirror seems unlikely.
The ones that use a seperate screen, use a wireless system, with batteries, 2.4 GHZ.

ddalder
11-17-11, 09:29 PM
First of all, I have to respectfully diagree with Subsailer613 on a couple of points. The rear view camera is intended to be used as a tool, in conjuction with other measures while backing. Anyone who watches only the rear view display while backing is not using it correctly. It should be used (primarily) to ensure there is nothing behind your vehicle in a blind spot before you start moving. It is not a substitute for following safe backing practices.

The answer to your question depends on a few factors. Are you looking to use GM components or aftermarket? Anything I do to my vehicles must be with GM parts. With the Plainum Edition I'm sure you have IntelliBeam headlights. You can go the route of a display in the mirror, but you would lose the IntelliBeam option (unless there's a mirror out there that I'm not aware of). I installed a camera in my '04 Bonneville. I used a rear view camera and module from an '08 Enclave and a mirror from a 2010 (as I recall) GMC Sierra truck. This allowed me to retain my OnStar functionality and auto-dim feature. At this point, I'm not convinced you can add it easily to the nav screen (at least easily). From the research I've done, I don't believe it will directly support this.

turnne
11-17-11, 10:06 PM
Hi, does the platinum edition have;
HUD,
Adaptive Cruise Control,
Lane Departure Warning,
Side Blindspot Alert,
Magnetic Ride
Nav,
Sunroof,
and V8 , Northstar ?
Appreciate your responce, It also comes with the back up alert system, which works very well.
Looking at a screen while backing, seems BAD to me, as then you are taking your eyes OFF the road, the installed system lets you see the alarm
light,in the REAR VIEW Mirror, and HEAR the beep,And still NOT take your eyes OFF the road.
How close your are to something.Just my opinion.
Should be easy to add one, but hooking it up to your Nav screen or Rear View mirror seems unlikely.
The ones that use a seperate screen, use a wireless system, with batteries, 2.4 GHZ.

actually some of the items you mentioned are quite old hat

sunroof and Nav ..V8...seriously?

First off the Nav in an STS is not very good at all

Many of the other options you mentioned....have been around for years

Look at at a 2005-2006 Acura RL or Infiniti M

as for the rear camera
I actually like the Ford Approach with the rear view mirror that serves as the rear view display when you are backing up

I had a rental Ford Taurus a couple of months ago with it and it worked great

Warren

Linda in JAX
11-18-11, 12:18 PM
Yes, Subsailor613

The Platinum edition has all of the features you listed, including V8 and OnStar, not NavStar - unless that is what they call the built in GPS/nav system, which it has got. The side view mirror even angles down (just one side, not both mirrors, for some reason :hmm:) when the car is in reverse. And when I am backing up my eyes still stay on the road - the road behind me. So I don't see what I'm losing out there on safety. The Cadillac SUV (cannot recall what it was called - it was like a Caddy version of the Chevy Traverse I rented that also had the backup camera) which the dealership loaned to me when they were working on my car had the back up camera. The picture even added a lit up view of the car's trajectory based on the changing steering position. Once you shift to Drive, the back up camera and image turns off. I liked the nice wide angle view of what was behind me as I backed up. It was far more comprehensive/expansive than what you see in the rear view mirror and side mirrors.

mrau
11-18-11, 11:22 PM
You can select which side view mirror angles down when in reverse by changing the position of the mirror adjusting selector switch. If left, then left mirror tilts, right then right mirror. If you put it in the center position then neither mirror will tilt. I don't beleive you can get both to tilt at the same time.

I liked the backup camera in new CTS that does what you describe. They have a different Nav system then STS, so I don't think you could easily add it.

Linda in JAX
11-19-11, 12:27 AM
Thank you ddalder and mrau - you confirmed what I had been told by a GM mechanic [but who has been out of the business for at least 11 years, so I figured I'd double check]. I was just hoping for an "elegant solution" i.e. incorporating the camera into the nav system like in the '11 SRX - I wouldn't dream of patch-working anything into this car. Thanks much and have a wonderful Thanksgiving.