: Buying an 05 STS

txboifrozt
11-17-11, 01:52 AM
So i already have 2 Deville's a 96 and a 01. I am familiar with the Northstar and have done a lot of work on them. I'm looking in to buying a 05 STS with 100k miles on it. Are these typically the same as the Deville? I cannot find any good pictures on the STS Northstar with the engine cover off to get a good look in area's.

Has anybody reported to have a blown head gasket on these? I would plan to buy it and just keep it for awhile. Overall it looks and drives in really good shape. With a clean Carfax, etc...

What are some pros and cons about these cars? Any "Typical" problems like ripped plenum, window regulators failing on you, fuel sensor out of whack, and are Devilles parts compatible with the STS?

Any answers to these questions would really help me on the purchase.

Thanks in Advance!

dkozloski
11-17-11, 02:12 AM
The RWD STS has a totally different engine and drivetrain from the old sidewinders. HG problems are almost unheard of. The most annoying problem is keyless entry system door handles that quit working.

turnne
11-17-11, 09:12 AM
So i already have 2 Deville's a 96 and a 01. I am familiar with the Northstar and have done a lot of work on them. I'm looking in to buying a 05 STS with 100k miles on it. Are these typically the same as the Deville? I cannot find any good pictures on the STS Northstar with the engine cover off to get a good look in area's.

Has anybody reported to have a blown head gasket on these? I would plan to buy it and just keep it for awhile. Overall it looks and drives in really good shape. With a clean Carfax, etc...

What are some pros and cons about these cars? Any "Typical" problems like ripped plenum, window regulators failing on you, fuel sensor out of whack, and are Devilles parts compatible with the STS?

Any answers to these questions would really help me on the purchase.

Thanks in Advance!

The HG issue was solved like maybe 02-03
Very rare for a Northstar after then to have HG issues

The updated engine in the 05 also benefits from an new trans that doesn't have those wide ratios...so its better off the line

That being said...door handle issues are common...if its an an AWD drivetrain issues are common in the earlier years...the Navigation is the worst I have ever seen and the voice activation is terrible...if the car you are looking at is equipped with these items

But...just as before the Caddy sedans lose value quickly..as you likely know

So can get a 60K car...with 100K miles ..and a few years old for less than 10K

My fully loaded 05 1SG 8 AWD had a sticker of $67,200...I paid $18,750 2.5 years ago for a car with 54K on it

So..I can only imagine what the same year ( and equipment) car is going for today with 100K miles on it...I am thinking no more than 9-10K

someone might chime in that has bought a loaded 05 recently with 100K miles

Warren

txboifrozt
11-17-11, 11:59 PM
The one i am looking at does not include a Navigation system. It does have a sun roof, and the keyless door handles with push button start. I was pretty amazed by it, and it's my favorite color also, Burgundy.

Now it does have 100k miles on it and i can get a warranty also. The price tag is 11k, it seems a little steep. I've checked around at some other places and they are a little bit more. Or i can get a 05 CTS 85k miles with some body modifications that looks cool.... only down fall it was wrecked... not totaled. But it does have less miles and it is priced around 9k

orange57
11-18-11, 12:05 AM
I just bought an 05 RWD, base with 64K on it about two months ago for $14500. I thought I got a pretty good deal. It is really clean. So far I love it. :)

txboifrozt
11-18-11, 12:18 AM
That was not a bad deal. These cars are selling really quick. I've hunted down about 3 already and they were already sold. Just trying to be extra cautious because it's a big investment. I'm trying to stay with a Cadillac, i was almost contemplating about getting a Jaguar.

Would 10-15k less mileage really make a huge difference if the car was taken care of properly?

R3TRO
11-18-11, 04:40 AM
I bought a black '05 STS V8 with 82K mi, all options but adaptive cruise, with extended warranty till 125K mi for $16,000. Had the car for 3mo now and my only complaints are hvac "fart" noise (very common apparently), driver setup is a pain, and my drivers side lower lumbar doesn't work. Otherwise seems put together well and still has that new car feeling.

turnne
11-18-11, 08:15 AM
The price tag is 11k, it seems a little steep.

I would agree with that...especially for the equipment level it has

Keep looking

Warren

turnne
11-18-11, 08:17 AM
I bought a black '05 STS V8 with 82K mi, all options but adaptive cruise, with extended warranty till 125K mi for $16,000. Had the car for 3mo now and my only complaints are hvac "fart" noise (very common apparently), driver setup is a pain, and my drivers side lower lumbar doesn't work. Otherwise seems put together well and still has that new car feeling.

that was with warranty included?...and how comprehensive is the warranty?

For a car of that age, mileage and complexity...I would imagine its on the high side of extended warranty costs
Therefore the warranty could have been 4K by itself...if it was fairly comprehensive

Warren

KRSTS
11-18-11, 10:48 AM
Sounds like he paid at least a $4k premium for the car

jasonjsimon
11-18-11, 11:39 AM
For reference sake, I picked up an 05 STS4 Northstar with EVERY option and 115k miles about 2 months ago. Included was a 5 year/100k warranty. Paid $12k.

Jesda
11-18-11, 02:01 PM
There was one thread about a blown head gasket on the 05+ STS, and the guy didn't follow up with any details.

It's a very rare thing to go wrong on these cars.

[Other things can go wrong however.]

R3TRO
11-18-11, 05:18 PM
Bumper to bumper... already getting the lumbar fixed and hvac noise supposedly will go away with a shot of grease. I do have to pay a $50 deductible at the Cadillac dealer, so I wanted to wait a few months to make sure I found any/all issues. And yes the $16K included the warranty.

that was with warranty included?...and how comprehensive is the warranty?

For a car of that age, mileage and complexity...I would imagine its on the high side of extended warranty costs
Therefore the warranty could have been 4K by itself...if it was fairly comprehensive

Warren

turnne
11-18-11, 06:11 PM
For reference sake, I picked up an 05 STS4 Northstar with EVERY option and 115k miles about 2 months ago. Included was a 5 year/100k warranty. Paid $12k.

sounds like the market price to me

which means it would have been about $9K without the warranty

Warren

EChas3
11-18-11, 08:28 PM
Bumper to bumper... hvac noise supposedly will go away with a shot of grease.

There is an upgraded part (lever?)

tomm
11-18-11, 10:15 PM
I plan on selling my 2005 STS4 Every Option (67k Original MSRP) with just over 50k miles for around $14k, I would not spend $11k with over 100k miles and no AWD & Nav.

txboifrozt
11-19-11, 12:20 AM
Well guys, as soon as i got there today the STS was already sold. But instead i purchased a 05 Mercedes Benz E500 V8, and this baby has some power. As well as extra added options like Navigation, 6 Disc cd changer that pops out of the dash, and many other things that i would have missed out on getting the STS. It's black on black with less miles than the STS and holds a better KBB value than the STS. And i got it for 13k.

The owner knew i was displeased that the STS was already gone. I had several options such as many different Chrysler 300's, Dodge Chargers, BMW'S, And even a convertible 08 Ford Mustang that was really clean. But none of them suited me like my Cadillacs do. They all really felt like imitations too me. I admit, some of the 07-08 Altima's/Maxima's were pretty nice interior wise.

Though, i wish i would have found another Caddy, this Benz is top quality. But it will NEVER take place over my Deville.

God Bless! :)

Raider-STS
11-19-11, 02:05 AM
I just bought a 2005 STS AWD fully loaded with 102,000 miles for $11,200.00 I think I got a pretty good deal.

orange57
11-19-11, 04:34 PM
Sounds like a descent deal on the benz. When I purchased mine, I was looking at the Chrysler 300's as well, but they seemed to be cheap on the interior. I actually purchased mine with out even driving one :) found it from a dealer online, and did everything over the phone.

turnne
11-20-11, 01:24 PM
Well guys, as soon as i got there today the STS was already sold. But instead i purchased a 05 Mercedes Benz E500 V8, and this baby has some power. As well as extra added options like Navigation, 6 Disc cd changer that pops out of the dash, and many other things that i would have missed out on getting the STS. It's black on black with less miles than the STS and holds a better KBB value than the STS. And i got it for 13k.

The owner knew i was displeased that the STS was already gone. I had several options such as many different Chrysler 300's, Dodge Chargers, BMW'S, And even a convertible 08 Ford Mustang that was really clean. But none of them suited me like my Cadillacs do. They all really felt like imitations too me. I admit, some of the 07-08 Altima's/Maxima's were pretty nice interior wise.

Though, i wish i would have found another Caddy, this Benz is top quality. But it will NEVER take place over my Deville.

God Bless! :)

sounds like you got a very good deal on a nice car

The Mercedes is nothing like a Cadillac...completely different driving experience

Love or hate...but the only thing in common is the 4 wheel s they both share

Warren

turnne
11-20-11, 01:26 PM
I plan on selling my 2005 STS4 Every Option (67k Original MSRP) with just over 50k miles for around $14k, I would not spend $11k with over 100k miles and no AWD & Nav.

sounds like a fair price

I agree with you on not spending 11K on a base STS with those miles and equipment level

Warren

txboifrozt
11-21-11, 02:13 AM
sounds like you got a very good deal on a nice car

The Mercedes is nothing like a Cadillac...completely different driving experience

Love or hate...but the only thing in common is the 4 wheel s they both share

Warren

Oh yes they are completely different. I test drove tons of vehicles and none of them can compare to my Deville. I got pretty screwed when i purchased my Deville from a dealer, so i made sure to get a good deal this time and do research.

I just cannot find a good reputable mechanic that knows at least one thing about a Northstar engine other than the Headgasket problem so that played a big role for me also.

nugnt1
12-03-11, 01:02 PM
I just picked up a LOADED '05 STS 4, diamond white with every option imaginable ($92,000cdn sticker!) with 69,000kms or 42000miles on it for $14500cdn. Clean Carfax, immaculate condition. Very pleased with this beauty so far!

turnne
12-03-11, 06:02 PM
I just picked up a LOADED '05 STS 4, diamond white with every option imaginable ($92,000cdn sticker!) with 69,000kms or 42000miles on it for $14500cdn. Clean Carfax, immaculate condition. Very pleased with this beauty so far!

I have the same car...sticker was $67,200

what does the $14,500 Canadian come out to in US

I do the math on the stickers it comes out to 73 cents Canadian to 1.00 US dollar

if that math held true on the resale side..that works out to be $10,585....which would be a very good deal

Warren

z06bigbird
12-04-11, 03:47 AM
Window regulators go bad on most cars except for ?????

Dang Chinese parts on Ford, GM, Chrysler, BMW, Mercedes, etc. Window regulator failures are common on all cars. Sad!!

z06bigbird
12-04-11, 03:49 AM
Best advantage of a Chrysler product is that you never need to change the oil. Just add a few quarts every week. lol. (Joke from the 1950s.)

z06bigbird
12-04-11, 03:53 AM
I just inherited an 06 STS 4 with about 7,000 miles on it (accurate). Hope to pick it up this month before more major snow storms, as vehicle is garaged in NY.

I will replace tires, battery, hoses, belts, etc. Car has been driven regularly, and it does not have a scratch on it. Black on black. Eager to get my hands on this jewel.

KRSTS
12-04-11, 10:24 AM
I have the same car...sticker was $67,200

what does the $14,500 Canadian come out to in US

I do the math on the stickers it comes out to 73 cents Canadian to 1.00 US dollar

if that math held true on the resale side..that works out to be $10,585....which would be a very good deal

Warren

$14222.22 US, an average deal at best given I've seen clean 2005's go for under $10K

EChas3
12-04-11, 09:42 PM
I just inherited an 06 STS 4 with about 7,000 miles on it (accurate). Hope to pick it up this month before more major snow storms, as vehicle is garaged in NY.

I will replace tires, battery, hoses, belts, etc. Car has been driven regularly, and it does not have a scratch on it. Black on black. Eager to get my hands on this jewel.

I'd probably hold off on the belts & hoses. Personnally, I carry a jump pack and still have the OEM battery at 72,000 miles; it works fine and I've never needed the jump pack. The age of the tires does make them suspect and an unacceptable risk.

turnne
12-05-11, 08:49 PM
$14222.22 US, an average deal at best given I've seen clean 2005's go for under $10K

yes...if that is the current exchange ..then that is not a very good deal

curiously with a sticker that high...that even makes the resale look even worse

did they sell the cars in Canada for $25K off the sticker?

Warren

turnne
12-05-11, 08:56 PM
Window regulators go bad on most cars except for ?????

Dang Chinese parts on Ford, GM, Chrysler, BMW, Mercedes, etc. Window regulator failures are common on all cars. Sad!!

the only window regualtors that I have ever had go out were the brands you mentioned...minus a Chrysler and add an Audi

The japanese cars I have owned..never an issue...ditto with the immediate family on failed window regulators on Japanese cars

Mother and step father have a Toyoya land cruiser ..1998 with 250K miles
never done anything buy regular maintenance and its still worth a few $

Its no wonder he said his next one is a Lexus....\
...look at a 15 year old LS400 with 150-200K

still worth a few $$ and I see a lot of the old ones on the road

what's a 15 year old STS...that was about the same price as the Lexus then...worth now?
Thats if you can find one of that age and mileage that is still being driven

Warren

Smiling Jack
12-06-11, 11:33 PM

what's a 15 year old STS...that was about the same price as the Lexus then...worth now?
Thats if you can find one of that age and mileage that is still being driven

Warren

The answer to that one is well known to me:

Before our '95 SEville STS was wrecked by a red light runner last month, it was running at least as good as new, and to us it was priceless.

While negotiating the settlement, I searched nationally and tire kicked locally quite a bit.
'94 to '96 Seville STS cars are asking in the range of $3k to $7k. A lot seem to sell in the $4k to $5k range.

As a matter of market value, I suppose that they're worth what the buyers are willing to pay for them, and what the sellers are willing to accept.

As a purely practical matter, for my needs and tastes, they're still worth more than anything being produced now.

Sorry for that last bit of purely personal opinion. I just could not restrain myself.

EChas3
12-07-11, 12:02 AM
^^^ We loved our '98 until the troubles started...

Smiling Jack
12-07-11, 12:19 AM
^^^ We loved our '98 until the troubles started...

Were we "living on the edge"?

At what mileage did the "troubles" begin ?

EChas3
12-07-11, 09:25 PM
Water leak after leak in heavy rain - 90,000 miles. Sunroof track, odd electrical issues & stalling - 100k. Occasional overheating (eventually HG) 110k. Later years were better.