: Stage 2 will be complete tomorrow.

71Dragtruck
11-17-11, 12:22 AM
Well this year I decided I should do something with my 2008 Escalade or get something else. If you could get a CTS-V in all wheel drive it would likely be gone. I hardly ever drive it, only has ~14,000kms on it but when I take a road trip in the winter AWD is a must.

Anyway decided to build as close to a V as I could get in a SUV, I already had the basics like CAI, exhaust and a programmer done from new but that was nowhere near enough. So went with makeover stage #1. lowered it 2-3 and put a set of Hotchkis sway bars (hcvone is dead on with this being a must). Stage #2 brakes, my Baer 6 piston Extreme + 15" front and 14" rear (couldn't get 15" in the Baer for the back) kit just came in and is getting installed tomorrow (looks simple enough and if I had the time would do it myself). Stage #3 planned to happen before the end of Jan is a supercharger, long tube headers and Y with a custom tune.

I'll try to get some pics up tomorrow with the new stopping power :thumbsup:

richw3533
11-17-11, 12:33 AM
This is what I did with mine, its the best mod yet!! Reworked heads, long tube headers, new computer, built tranny, monster injectors, bigger fuel pump, larger throttlebody, coldair intake, intercooler, high flow cats and custom exhaust.

WaterKing
11-17-11, 01:10 AM
If yours has an 8.5 rear, consider also putting a 9.5 in it as well. I broke an axle in my 8.5 so changed to ESV 2WD 3.42 limited slip 9.5 unit. Requires bastard ujoint or new driveshaft. Recommend driveshaft because nose is about 1 in longer on 9.5, and it takes a larger ujoint. Bigger axle tubes on 9.5 might also hit exhaust if lowered three inches.

hcvone
11-17-11, 09:52 AM
They do make the 15" rotors for the rear in extreme +, I was the first and second customer with them, think they were custom but there is a part number, when I find some pics I will post them. You should be good with what you want to do, have done that to many of my trucks and never had an issues, really want to supercharge one of the 12's :)

71Dragtruck
11-17-11, 01:13 PM
They do make the 15" rotors for the rear in extreme +, I was the first and second customer with them, think they were custom but there is a part number, when I find some pics I will post them. You should be good with what you want to do, have done that to many of my trucks and never had an issues, really want to supercharge one of the 12's :)

Damn wish I would have known that, would have prefered 15 all around

71Dragtruck
11-17-11, 02:56 PM
hcvone have you ever had problems with the front factory 22" rims not fitting in the front? Shop just called and said the spokes touch the calipers on the front with stock rims?? Not happy right now.

luxurylife33
11-17-11, 03:02 PM
hcvone have you ever had problems with the front factory 22" rims not fitting in the front? Shop just called and said the spokes touch the calipers on the front with stock rims?? Not happy right now.

if its not off by much, you can get spacers to clear the calipers. they fit between the hub and rim.

hcvone
11-17-11, 05:51 PM

No even my 20" GM wheels fit, never had a rubbing issue caused by the Baer calipers, it was close but no rubbing, I know a few people using the same brake setup in the front and never heard of rubbing or needing shims, my shop guy said the same thing

71Dragtruck
11-17-11, 07:00 PM
WTH mine need spacers to clear??

hcvone
11-18-11, 07:20 AM
My shop guy said make sure it's not the flashing from the casting of the wheel that is causing the issue of the rub, he claims one of my wheels needed the extra casting flashing to be sanded off, I don't remember that but he is much younger than me so it maybe true, he said like I said there is not much clearance but they don't rub

71Dragtruck
11-18-11, 09:23 AM
No it's not just flashing, I have 1/4" spacers in and they barely clear. No sure if Baer changed something or what is up, im going to call them today.

71Dragtruck
11-18-11, 12:02 PM
Can anyone confirm this story????

The rumor/story I heard and possible reason for my delema is that at one point in time when GM was having issues with pealing rims they changed suppliers only to have the same issues and worse in some cases, so they went back to the original supplier. So even though all the rims look the same when compared side to side there are sets out there that are a bit different in the spoke area that don't clear big brake kits as well as others.

ELUSIVE
11-18-11, 01:07 PM
Sounds cool, but I guess I just don't understand the logic in spending all of that money on an ~6000 pound tank trying to make it fast and sporty.
Spend that money on a sports car. That's what they are made for. Maybe it's just me.

prosseda
11-18-11, 01:09 PM
What about the actual rotor thickness? Or the caliper bracket. The caliper itself can be the same size and fit differently on different trucks and wheels if the rotor is different thickness near the hub or 2 piece vs. one piece rotor etc. A thick rotor would be the equivalent of having a spacer built in. I am suggesting that your wheel might not be different from another wheel that does work with this setup. I'm not ruling it out either. Even a difference in front hubs (originals vs replacements) could affect the caliper when the fit is that tight.

71Dragtruck
11-18-11, 01:47 PM
Sounds cool, but I guess I just don't understand the logic in spending all of that money on an ~6000 pound tank trying to make it fast and sporty.
Spend that money on a sports car. That's what they are made for. Maybe it's just me.

Guess I like outside the box, everbody and their dog has a sports car, also the reason I have a all steel street legal NHRA spec truck that runs mid 10's in 3800DA.

What about the actual rotor thickness? Or the caliper bracket. The caliper itself can be the same size and fit differently on different trucks and wheels if the rotor is different thickness near the hub or 2 piece vs. one piece rotor etc. A thick rotor would be the equivalent of having a spacer built in. I am suggesting that your wheel might not be different from another wheel that does work with this setup. I'm not ruling it out either. Even a difference in front hubs (originals vs replacements) could affect the caliper when the fit is that tight.

I checked and Baer has not changed any of the above in their kits like I have. It works with spacers, I just don't like using them.

hcvone
11-18-11, 02:51 PM
Can anyone confirm this story????

The rumor/story I heard and possible reason for my delema is that at one point in time when GM was having issues with pealing rims they changed suppliers only to have the same issues and worse in some cases, so they went back to the original supplier. So even though all the rims look the same when compared side to side there are sets out there that are a bit different in the spoke area that don't clear big brake kits as well as others.

That would not surprise me at all, if you remember there were a few owners that claimed their stock wheels rubbed at stock height, the 31 mm offset that is suppose to be there will not let the wheels and or tires rub anything, we make wheels and know this to be true, one other thing, many of the overseas wheels are not to the same specs in terms of material, so it would not be surprising if they were not correct in offset either, remember lowest bidder makes the wheels.

71Dragtruck
11-19-11, 12:53 PM
Well decided that since there is hub sticking into the rim that I'll use the stock rims and a set of machined hubcentric spacers.

Moving forward, stage #3 is booked for Dec 28th.

hcvone if you have time and don't mind, could you please snap a picture of the center of your installed rim showing how much hub sticks into your stock rim with the Baer system.
This would rule out that the hat of the Baer rotor is thinner on my kit causing my problem.

hcvone
11-21-11, 11:10 AM
Well decided that since there is hub sticking into the rim that I'll use the stock rims and a set of machined hubcentric spacers.

Moving forward, stage #3 is booked for Dec 28th.

hcvone if you have time and don't mind, could you please snap a picture of the center of your installed rim showing how much hub sticks into your stock rim with the Baer system.
This would rule out that the hat of the Baer rotor is thinner on my kit causing my problem.

I should be able to do that later this week when we get back to NY. :)

71Dragtruck
11-21-11, 01:05 PM
I should be able to do that later this week when we get back to NY. :)

Thanks!

hcvone
11-21-11, 02:02 PM
Thanks! I am waiting to hear back from our friend at Baer, when I told him of this he sounded confused and his first question was "you had this set up and you had stock wheels" and I told him yes, he then said are you sure of the wheel offset, so I said maybe different manufacturers and he said he would look into it but it wouldn't be this week

71Dragtruck
11-21-11, 02:39 PM
I am waiting to hear back from our friend at Baer, when I told him of this he sounded confused and his first question was "you had this set up and you had stock wheels" and I told him yes, he then said are you sure of the wheel offset, so I said maybe different manufacturers and he said he would look into it but it wouldn't be this week

Thanks again, I appreciate the help.

hcvone
11-29-11, 06:29 AM
Hey 71, going to be a little delay in pics of my truck wheels, broke my hand and forearm and just working with one arm is not going good

71Dragtruck
11-29-11, 11:30 AM
Hey 71, going to be a little delay in pics of my truck wheels, broke my hand and forearm and just working with one arm is not going good

Ouch, that sucks!! No problem whenever you get to it is fine, it's more for my curiosity.

hcvone
11-29-11, 01:09 PM
Ouch, that sucks!! No problem whenever you get to it is fine, it's more for my curiosity.

I hope to go up later this week, had to drive home 6 hours to the hospital to get everything set by people I know and trust, just to hear "you're too old for this kind of stuff"

bstiffmanofsteel
11-29-11, 01:13 PM
I hope to go up later this week, had to drive home 6 hours to the hospital to get everything set by people I know and trust, just to hear "you're too old for this kind of stuff"
Take care of yourself Carl. That sounds painful!