: got to love bosses.....

T_Dogg8
11-03-04, 10:50 AM
so get this.....about 6 months ago my boss wanted me to start working an hour earlier to increase coverage (i work in IT tech support). i was thrilled because i don't mind getting up an hour early if i get off an hour early. well, the other guy i work with doesn't like to work his full day, so he leaves early (which the boss has no problem with) but that meant i had to stay an extra hour to cover. i also can't afford to go out to lunch everyday and live too far away to go home. so i eat at my desk everyday. so guess what, i get people coming into my office all through lunch wanting help. well i'm not here doing charity work, so i put that on my timesheet. i've told him all of this and he said as long as i stay within 10 hrs OT a week, he had no problem. well guess what, he got the bill and now he has a problem with it. he flipped out yesterday and now i'm not allowed to work any OT. which, as much as i like the OT pay, i don't have a problem with it. but this also means i'm not working late anymore. so i'm betting in about a month i'll be questioned as to why i'm not getting as much work done a week compared to when i worked an extra 10 hours a week. so basically i'm screwed both ways and i'm :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: the funny thing is, if i was leaving early and putting in for 40 hours, there would be no problems :cookoo: i just need a new job :helpless:

RBraczyk
11-03-04, 11:21 AM
I would reccomend a new job, or switch to four ten hour days like my old man, and take a three day weekend. He works for the state so its a bit more flexable.

airbalancer
11-03-04, 11:50 AM
Do you have lunch room to eat your lunch in. Or lock your office door.
Or just tell people that you will call after lunch and your boss will not pay you to work though lunch.
Or go and detail your car at lunch time :histeric:

T_Dogg8
11-03-04, 12:23 PM
I would reccomend a new job, or switch to four ten hour days like my old man, and take a three day weekend. He works for the state so its a bit more flexable.
looking for a new job. 4 10 hour days would be great, but not an option here. have to have people here 5 days a week.

T_Dogg8
11-03-04, 12:25 PM
i'm going to start locking my door. but like today i have something that needs done like, yesterday. actually it was suppose to be done monday but i wasn't told about it until today. so if i take an hour off, i'm going to get 'yelled at' and if i work through lunch and get OT, i'm going to get yelled at. so i'll probably work through lunch and then leave an extra hour early. of course, they don't like that either, but at this point, they can kiss my ass.

Ralph
11-03-04, 12:52 PM
He'll be sorry when you are gone, and I don't know why he wigged out because you were just doing as you were told!

Tell people "I'm on my lunch break." The problem is that once you start helping people at that time, they always expect it.

I don't know that you need a new job. It's your boss really?

Good luck, hang in there. It could be worse at a new job. ;)

BTW I need some charity work......er.......um, computer advice in my losing computer thread. :D :lildevil:

CADDYBLACK99
11-03-04, 12:57 PM
If your somewhat of a "clown" like myself. Get one of those "gone to lunch...I'll be back at..." signs and hang it around your neck while you eat your lunch! If anyone has a problem with that ask, them to go to your boss and request a signed slip approving the overtime. This will get back to your boss and will need an explanation of course, but it will open a dialogue so you can explain the time/over-time issue with him. One of two things will happen...you will leave his office with his blessing to provide assistance to all those who need it...or you will leave! :lildevil: I know this is a bit unusual. Bosses can sometimes expect it both ways! It sounds like you enjoy your job, it appears that the other guy (that leaves early) needs to be spoken to about pulling his fair share of the work!

:devil: ....of course I need to indemnify myself here by saying that this is just a suggestion, if your boss has no sense of humor do not try this as it could have an adverse effect!
Good Luck!
Paul

D148L0
11-03-04, 01:01 PM
Does your boss look like this?

T_Dogg8
11-03-04, 01:15 PM
He'll be sorry when you are gone, and I don't know why he wigged out because you were just doing as you were told!

Tell people "I'm on my lunch break." The problem is that once you start helping people at that time, they always expect it.

I don't know that you need a new job. It's your boss really?

Good luck, hang in there. It could be worse at a new job. ;)

BTW I need some charity work......er.......um, computer advice in my losing computer thread. :D :lildevil:
i don't know why he's so upset either. our IT dept. has gotten a bad reputation for lack of service, so one of the things i have been working on is imnproving that. well i can't do that if i have to sit at my desk and tell them i can't help them for 22 minutes and 35 seconds. it's ridiculous.

i'll check the other thread and see if i can help

T_Dogg8
11-03-04, 01:17 PM
i'm going to just lock my office door at lunch.

what i think will be interesting will be when i have to go to the company comptroller's house (a personal friend of mine) to fix his computer. he always tells me to make sure i put the time on my timesheet. should be interesting when i tell him the person who works for him (my boss) won't let me do that anymore :lildevil:

airbalancer
11-03-04, 01:21 PM
ii'll check the other thread and see if i can help
Do not go , Ralph will never let you leave!!!!! GO and :hide:

Ralph
11-03-04, 01:24 PM
Do not go , Ralph will never let you leave!!!!! GO and :hide:

Poor T_dog made a huge mistake letting me know he's into computers! :lildevil: No coffee breaks either! :devil:

No one escapes the wrath of RALPH MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA :worship:

T_Dogg8
11-03-04, 02:34 PM
Does your boss look like this?
that looks just like my boss, and i'm starting to think ralph looks like it too :D

Ralph
11-03-04, 02:58 PM
that looks just like my boss, and i'm starting to think ralph looks like it too :D

LOL! Don't sweat it I'm going to take it in,,oh shyte, it's 2 o clock, time to take the computer in....

Later.....

c5 rv
11-03-04, 07:13 PM
I'll try not to sound too cliche, but try thinking about the problem from his point of view and come up a couple suggestions to solve the problem. Heck, you probably know the problem best. It sounds like you've been very flexible in adjusting your work schedule to meet his needs, but unfortunately he didn't think through the price of dumping that added work on you. It sounds like your co-workers will need to pick up additional work so that you don't bust the budget. However, if you look at the available hours of everyone and the work that needs to be done, you may have to explain to your boss that the only way to provide the necessary support is to have overtime by someone(s). Before you unilaterally lock your door over lunch and PO some users, get your boss the define a plan (or adopt one of yours) and then follow the policy. If your boss decides you should close for lunch, let him send the e-mail to the users to not let anything break between 12 and 1.

tru504187211
11-03-04, 07:47 PM
You're lucky in a way, TDogg...at least you've got a door!! I have to share a space with low-cut cubicle walls where everyone just runs over to claim they need help...

T_Dogg8
11-04-04, 10:00 AM
You're lucky in a way, TDogg...at least you've got a door!! I have to share a space with low-cut cubicle walls where everyone just runs over to claim they need help...
i know. i love having an office. i can listen to music or whatever without worrying about bothering anyone.

the problem is, he doesn't think things through. he's a very 'right now probelm' person and doesn't think long-term. oh well, in about a month when the works not getting done, i'll probably be asked to work OT again.

Skuuter
11-04-04, 06:03 PM
Tdogg,

Sounds like it's time to move on.

I haven't worked for hourly wages in 7 years, primarily because I've been salaried. And I don't work more than 8 hours a day unless I get comp time.

If you're too strapped to afford to leave the office to eat, you're either living beyond your means or underpaid. If it's the latter, please don't accept low wages. Check the average salary ratings for your position, in your area. It hurts all IT people when employers think they can get good help for cheap. That's why I hate all the cram scholl certs that come by, thinking that'll get them a job. Then they're willing to work for peanuts, just to get in the door!

And when you're on your lunch break, lock the door or be tough and tell 'em to come back later. Sounds like you've spolied them.

T_Dogg8
11-05-04, 08:52 AM
i locked the door yesterday. and i could afford to go out to lunch, but there are other things i'd much rather have. so i don't. but yes, i'm grossly underpaid. about half of the national starting salary average. it sucks, but no one's beating down my door with offers, and i can't leave without another job. so i just keep applying and hope for the best.

Skuuter
11-05-04, 12:23 PM
Well good luck and don't stop looking. Keep up on continuing education, too.

T_Dogg8
11-05-04, 01:58 PM
i'm planning on it. i was thinking about getting certs, but i don't want to be doing tech stuff forever, and would leave this job to go into another business job in a heartbeat. so i'm trying to decide my next step. thinking maybe MBA.

daacon
11-05-04, 04:52 PM
certs are good for people with little experience - shows you put in the effort. You are between a rock and a hard place with no management support. Tough call - too bad about lack of job offers - as Gandolf once said "this too will pass" albiet does not help you now. Network with as many people in the buisness as you can - join some 'IT' groups. Sooner or later something will come of this. I worked at similar places and over time got to know enough people that evetaully I was able to move (more of a latteral move $$ wise ) but then I got to know more people and now life is good )

Sounds like you are making he best of a no win situation. Leave early when you can - no one minds putting in extra time now and again on 'good faith' but when it becomes expected and more importatnly uncompensated......tis time to search other horizions.

Good luck.

T_Dogg8
11-08-04, 08:04 AM
i was trying to leave early everyday last week so i wouldn't work OT, bust still worked 2.5 hours over. so i'm going to take it as comp-time this week. oh well. i've done a lot of networking and i know a lot of people who can help me, but right now they're sort of stuck. i'm guessing i'll have nothing and then get like 10 offers at once. who knows, we'll see what happens.