: My Escalade is making the ugliest noise. Does yours? Dealer says it's normal?!

Michael 514
11-15-11, 05:59 PM
Fellow Escalade owners,

I call upon your assistance, please!

Since I had this Black 2008 Platinum edition Escalade, it has one made one crazy noise that makes me cringe every time I turn over the engine.

I have gone back and forth with the dealer about five times because of this issue. They have changed the entire radio and nav; the speakers; amplifier, and who knows what else.

I finally got back my car once again, and this time I was told, “This noise is normal!”

Excuse me?!?! This cannot be!
I don’t believe it, so I am calling on you to please confirm this. I really hope you can spend a minute listening to my sound (I attached two .mov files for your listening enjoyment, which I ask that you please download and listen to.)

Here is what happens…

When I get in the vehicle, the car chimes… ding, ding, ding, ding… and it sounds super clear.

HOWEVER, the split second after the engine turns over, and for a few seconds, the chime sounds incredibly distorted and crackles. It’s very grating! (I am NOT looking forward to seeing the looks on the buyers’ faces when I sell the car!)

After the engine finishes the turnover…. The chime continues nicely.

It’s more noticeable (of course) when the chime is on loud.

I have tried other Escalades, and unless I am deaf, the chime is FINE!
In other escalades, I have noticed that as I am turning over the engine, the chimes STOP, and stay stopped for a second or two.
Then, once the engine is smoothly purring, the crystal clear chimes sound again.

Like myself, my grandfather and father before me have all been Cadillac owners. I respect the brand, so please tell me a $100,000+ flagship Platinum Cadillac is NOT supposed to sound like this everytime you get in!

I am not sure how you guys feel, but whether I am in my Escalade, Solstice, CTS or especially my Trans Am, there is nothing more delicious than the sound of an American V8 turning over each morning. So what a shame to hear this crackle/crunchy/distorted ding each time!

Either my dealer foreman is 100% WRONG, and this noise is NOT normal….
…or you all hear it, too, in your Escalades.

I am hoping this could be fixed, so I will need your help!

My recordings aren’t great, and they don’t sound that bad, but it’s the best I could do on short notice. Please put up your speakers all the way!

Guide to the links:

Escalade Chime 1.MOV
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11115714/Escalade%20Chime%201.MOV
0 seconds – Chime is fine.
3-5 seconds – I am starting the engine
6-7 seconds – CRACK/STATIC/DISTORTION
7-9 seconds – Chime is fine!

Escalade Chime 2.MOV
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11115714/Escalade%20Chime%202.MOV
0-3 seconds – I am getting into the car
4 second – I am starting the car
5-6 seconds – CRACK/STATIC/DISTORTION
7-8 seconds – Chime is fine!

So, do you all hear this noise in your luxury vehicles...
…or does my dealer need to escalate this for assistance?

I can't wait to read your replies!! Thanks!

hannity
11-15-11, 06:44 PM
I listened to both recording and could not even tell what you are talking about.

Nixin
11-15-11, 06:49 PM
Have you tried to lower the volume of the chime?

Michael 514
11-15-11, 07:43 PM
Hi guys,
Thanks so much for listening.

Hannity - Yeah, it's not that clear from the recordings... but when the timer hits the six second mark in both videos, you will hear a real staticlike, crackling, guttural noise.
Nixin - I have lowered the volume, and it's still there; it's just less pronounced.

It's just strange how the dealer went from changing the speakers; amps; radio (over the course of five visits), and then suddenly says, "that's how all Escalades sound".

Hey - Maybe they are right.
Maybe this is the sound of GM's flagship luxury SUV
But at $100,000+ for a new Platinum Edition Escalade, I don't see how a static-like, crackling chime could be acceptable.

My dealer has been amazingly helpful. I would like to assist them!

hcvone
11-15-11, 08:46 PM
Can't really hear anything different from your recording, you might be getting the battery switching to the alternator and changing the tone slightly while starting (cranking over) this is pretty common, and some times with a weak battery it may sound even worse

hannity
11-15-11, 09:17 PM
Hi guys,
Thanks so much for listening.

Hannity - Yeah, it's not that clear from the recordings... but when the timer hits the six second mark in both videos, you will hear a real staticlike, crackling, guttural noise.
Nixin - I have lowered the volume, and it's still there; it's just less pronounced.

It's just strange how the dealer went from changing the speakers; amps; radio (over the course of five visits), and then suddenly says, "that's how all Escalades sound".

Hey - Maybe they are right.
Maybe this is the sound of GM's flagship luxury SUV
But at $100,000+ for a new Platinum Edition Escalade, I don't see how a static-like, crackling chime could be acceptable.

My dealer has been amazingly helpful. I would like to assist them!

I hear what you are saying, I'm not doubting an issue with the chime exists, I just could not hear it. If the current service department is kind of not on the same page with you, you may want to try another dealer. And I completely agree as to what should be acceptable on a top of the line platinum. I have had a plethora of issues involving my platinum escalade. My current issue, the issue that has been there since the 3,000 mile mark is piston slap that is getting louder. And it's the same crap they tell me, it's normal. There is a piston slap issue with gm V8's so in all honesty, it is normal. Anyway I am trying to get into a BMW X5 by the summer of next year so I can dump my nightmare lade. Sorry to be so long winded, good luck with your current situation and I wish you all the best.

hcvone
11-16-11, 09:25 AM
Try hooking a batter charger to your truck and start it, see if that added power makes a difference

Cadillac Cust Svc
11-16-11, 09:49 AM
Michael,
If you would send me your name and VIN number I can forward this question on and see if I can find out any further information for you.
Breanne
Cadillac Customer Service

quattrotman
11-17-11, 06:25 AM
Michael,
If you would send me your name and VIN number I can forward this question on and see if I can find out any further information for you.
Breanne
Cadillac Customer Service

Hey Breanne,
How about you offer to help Hannity out with his piston slap issue too if you really wanna be helpful?

Michael 514
12-09-11, 04:59 PM
Hi all!
Thanks again for the replies.
I should have made a better recording of ONLY the crackling/gurgling/choking part of the chime.
My girlfriend and I noticed it the day I bought by car, and it's still there!

And again, hats off to my dealer. These guys have been trying everything.

One thing that may (or may not) be related... The controls of the passenger side HVAC have acted super weird.
Sometimes, when you press on the passenger-side knob, it flashes a few times. Then, when you turn the dial, the driver-side temperature changes! It's the weirdest thing.
Then again, there is probably no relation.

But what an ugly crackling chime. I would be really nice to have this fixed.

The car is going in Monday...!!

Thank you!

hannity
12-10-11, 07:27 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

MiKe it's not good to put your vin out that like that. People can identify you by your vin. That is why when folks on here have asked me for it I have never given it to them. Also what some auto theives were obtaining vin #'s for vehicles they want to steal and then going to dealers and ordering duplicate keys for these vehicles. Dealerships were more than happy to give them keys thinking they were helping out an owner. They would simply return to the vehicle and drive away. Please be cautious.

BI2011ESV
12-10-11, 10:31 AM
Ask the dealer to take you to one of the brand new Escalades on the lot and start one up. Ask him to show you the "normal" noise that you hear in yours. I mean if you hear it in yours, and its "normal", you should hear it in any new Escalade on the lot.

----------

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

MiKe it's not good to put your vin out that like that. People can identify you by your vin. That is why when folks on here have asked me for it I have never given it to them. Also what some auto theives were obtaining vin #'s for vehicles they want to steal and then going to dealers and ordering duplicate keys for these vehicles. Dealerships were more than happy to give them keys thinking they were helping out an owner. They would simply return to the vehicle and drive away. Please be cautious.

This is very true. In 1997, me and my first wife were going through separation and divorce. I had a 1996 Fleetwood Brougham at the time. I left the house in another vehicle and went and obtained a new place to live. A few days later I return to pick up my Fleetwood and she didn't want to give me the keys to my car. I went to the dealership that I've never dealt with before, and provided them with the VIN# and ask for a set of keys. They never even ask me for identification during the whole process. I paid for the keys and went and picked the car up at about 3 in the morning.

JimmyH
12-13-11, 08:03 PM
I removed your vin per your request. fwiw, I don't think it's a big deal. Yes, someone can get your personal info, just as they could from license plate. But, why would anyone want to? I don't think car thieves go online to find targets. Unless you are really Geddy Lee or Colin Mochrie in disguise...:D