: NAV Disc Update

krieghoff
11-15-11, 12:58 PM
I just got an email from the nav disc company saying there is a new update for my 2008 ESV.

I checked my disc and it is 8.3 and the new one is 10.3.

Has anyone updated to this and should I do it.

Did anyone see any big changes?

murphy
11-15-11, 08:02 PM
I just installed this 10.3 versions and the system went through a firmware upgrade but since I just got this truck I really hadn't used 8.3 so I can't comment but possibly there is a description of the changes on the Navquest site ?

krieghoff
11-15-11, 09:15 PM
I can't find any information on the update.

I am guessing you are the only one in the world who has this as I can't find any other answers! LOL

The Navquest site only goes to their maps.

Thanks

murphy
11-15-11, 09:20 PM
What would you like me to check ? Anything ?

krieghoff
11-15-11, 09:51 PM
Like I said I have disc 8.3 and the new one is 10.3. I am wondering what changes they made before I spend $200 for update.

Thanks for all your help

murphy
11-15-11, 09:53 PM
I just had a quick look..seems the same to me..it has a Traffic button but you must subscribe to XM...was that on 8.3 ? Dunno..

krieghoff
11-15-11, 09:59 PM
No traffic button that I know of.

I have XM now.

murphy
11-15-11, 10:03 PM
The traffic button is on the nav screen...when I press it it gives the subscription to XM blurb needed

krieghoff
11-15-11, 10:08 PM
Do you think I should get the update?

murphy
11-15-11, 10:13 PM
I just now subscribed to my free 3 month XM service..as far as you getting the new disc only you could make that call of course..how much do you rely on it ?..etc

krieghoff
11-15-11, 10:21 PM
I use it a lot because I travel so much.

murphy
11-15-11, 10:29 PM
Well if your maps are incomplete I'm certain you'll welcome the update..

CadX6
11-15-11, 10:44 PM
The XM traffic & its associated button are a function of your head unit, your XM receiver & your XM subscription - not the nav disk (although the data for the traffic display is received thru XM & displayed on the maps provided by the disk). If I'm not mistaken, NavTraffic was only available from 2009 on. My 2007 didn't have it - my 2009 does - don't know about 2008.
XM radio & XM NavTraffic are two separate subscriptions. I would suggest not committing to any long term subscription for the traffic. Try it out first. Here in the Chicago area its virtually worthless - I'm seriously considering cancelling (but then I don't even use the factory nav anymore - the TomTom app on my Iphone is far more accurate).

hcvone
11-16-11, 08:20 AM
My 2012's talk to me, almost had a heart attack, coming up the AC Expressway with 25 miles on the truck, not a sole in sight when all of a sudden my truck says " please merge to the left hand lane the right lane is closed ahead" I could see my heart beating thru my shirt, mostly because I was going a little fast at the time. Talking truck, it's like having two wifes. :(

krieghoff
11-16-11, 09:22 AM
LOL The talking truck thing sounds great but not the 2 wife thing!!!

prosseda
11-16-11, 11:06 PM
I installed the 10.3 disc on both 2007 and 2009:

On the 2007, the AUX input tab was updated to have the option of controlling whether the rear screen will see rear inputs or DVD. It also now has a full screen button to show the rear inputs on the front screen. Believe it or not, I could not display the rear inputs on the front screen EVER, until this update.

On my 2009 I disconnected the XM antenna from the XM module prior to the update. This is super important to note because I do not use the XM and was not a fan of having that extra traffic tab above my nav screen because it was one more item to scroll through. Since I had no XM signal, the traffic tab disappeared when I did the update. I still have the XM option when selecting an audio source even though it says no signal. The same thing could probably be accomplished by pulling the plug on the XM module. In that case, both the XM audio and traffic will probably disappear.