: Took my 2008 Platinum to AlphaTherm to reinstall the heated washer fluid

motorwerks
11-15-11, 04:23 AM
Hi folks,

My recently purchased 2008 Platinum had the recall performed where the factory heated washer fluid bottle was removed and the 60-A fuse pulled from the electronics center. Luckily, the dealer had performed the recall correctly in the past, leaving the bracket and wiring intact. I made a call to AlphaTherm and purchased their retrofit kit. One trip to their headquarters in Farmington Hills, MI and 20 minutes later, the system was reinstalled, tested and works great!

Highly recommended, inexpensive, and what a great group of guys! Ask for Joe, the general manager.

Here's their website: http://www.alphathermusa.com/

Best,

Satish

hcvone
11-15-11, 06:33 AM
I miss that option on the new trucks, used it a lot in the great white north, thnaks for the info.

hannity
11-15-11, 09:34 AM
gm should work out something with the Japanese in order to get this back into their vehicles. Thanks for posting this.

hcvone
11-15-11, 10:48 AM
gm should work out something with the Japanese in order to get this back into their vehicles. Thanks for posting this.

Seriously? Why would an American car company take a washer fluid heater that is made in America and work something out with the Japanese? Please explain this one to ALL OF US :)

PeteKT
11-15-11, 03:33 PM
Yup, i went there a week after dealer took it out, best option i ever had put "back" in

2007XTSDub
11-15-11, 03:46 PM
Can this be added to a 2011

MrHolland
11-15-11, 04:53 PM
Since the option was deleted I imagine it could be added but not very easily.

Nixin
11-15-11, 06:14 PM
Hi folks,

My recently purchased 2008 Platinum had the recall performed where the factory heated washer fluid bottle was removed and the 60-A fuse pulled from the electronics center. Luckily, the dealer had performed the recall correctly in the past, leaving the bracket and wiring intact. I made a call to AlphaTherm and purchased their retrofit kit. One trip to their headquarters in Farmington Hills, MI and 20 minutes later, the system was reinstalled, tested and works great!

Highly recommended, inexpensive, and what a great group of guys! Ask for Joe, the general manager.

Here's their website: http://www.alphathermusa.com/

Best,

Satish

Hi Satish.

I need to do this as well and I do mean ASAP.

I will be in Bloomfield Hills, MI in mid December. Just out of curiosity, how much did alphatherm charge you for the install? How long did it take?

Thanks

2007XTSDub
11-15-11, 06:17 PM
Since the option was deleted I imagine it could be added but not very easily.

Ya I forgot.

71Dragtruck
11-15-11, 07:59 PM
Did the same thing, actually I did my own recall and install of the replacement.

Big Windy Ext
11-16-11, 08:24 AM
You can add heated washers to the newer vehicles,you wont have the switch on the dash,it will always be on.If I install it on a newer one I would pull the fuse for the heater in the summer.

hcvone
11-16-11, 08:27 AM
Or you could wire to a switch in your glove box or under the hood like I am planning on doing because I ordered 3 yesterday, again thanks for the info. :)

Big Windy Ext
11-16-11, 08:47 AM
Or use that useless cubby on the dash and put a nice lighted rocker switch!

hcvone
11-16-11, 10:21 AM
Or use that useless cubby on the dash and put a nice lighted rocker switch!

That's were my Qi45 remote display is, I am putting the switch under the hood to turn on in the fall and off in the spring, my shop wants to hook it to a temp switch so it turns on and off with the outside temp, I just want a on/off switch, we will see what I get.

WaterKing
11-16-11, 09:09 PM
My cubby houses the control head for a Passport 9500CI. hcvone: If you get the universal model since you have no switch in the dash, I still recommend you leave it on during the summer. I use mine in the summer purposely because it is MUCH easier to get bugs off with heated fluid and the wiper blades seem to last longer.

prosseda
11-17-11, 12:02 AM
Since the option was deleted I imagine it could be added but not very easily. On a 2009 it still is easy.The wiring is still there even though the switch is not. I bought the switch and alphatherm GM37. I asked Alphatherm to send me a factory bracket and they did. All I needed was 2 6mm nuts from Pep Boys to bolt it in. If you do not have the harness, then the Alphatherm on demand unit will still work and is identically shaped.

motorwerks
11-17-11, 03:38 AM
Although I offered, Joe didn't charge me anything. I could have installed it myself in a parking lot with a socket wrench and screwdriver. In my case, the bracket was already in my vehicle as well as all the plug harnesses. It literally was a simple plug and play deal. It took roughly 15 minutes for the whole thing. If you do go by there, please tell Joe that I sent you.

hcvone
11-17-11, 07:34 AM
My cubby houses the control head for a Passport 9500CI. hcvone: If you get the universal model since you have no switch in the dash, I still recommend you leave it on during the summer. I use mine in the summer purposely because it is MUCH easier to get bugs off with heated fluid and the wiper blades seem to last longer.

I very rarely use my washers in the summer, I keep my windshield coated and even my wipers barely get turned on because nothing sticks to the windshield not even water once you move. :)

Big Windy Ext
11-17-11, 08:25 AM
Are you using Rain-X or have you found a better product?I used to have to do a lot of reapplications but either they improved the product or the Rain-X washer fluid keeps it up,the stuff works really well !!

hcvone
11-17-11, 09:31 AM
Using a new HD version of Aquapel that I am guessing will be offered to dealerships and pro detailers, seems to last about 5 times longer than Rainx

Mha
11-17-11, 04:26 PM
Is there more then one alphatherm unit? A was an AT38, is this the same or different then the one needed for the escalade?

hcvone
11-17-11, 05:47 PM
I got 38's for my 2011 and 2012's

Mha
11-17-11, 07:06 PM
So its the same I have a 2007

Mha
11-17-11, 07:35 PM
Saw a pic of the 38 and it seam as if the only difference is that you have to run a power with a fuse and ground it, im I right? And the gm37 has the plug? I think my 07 is missing the harness anyways. Will the bracket still work to snap in on the 38 unit for the escalade

prosseda
11-18-11, 01:06 AM
37GM and 38OD fit in the same bracket, but you must make sure the studs for the bracket exist on your truck.