: Tire chains

dangrus
11-14-11, 11:26 PM
Has anyone used tire chains on a performance car? I was talking to a coworker that has a Q35 and used them last year to get home where otherwise he would have been stuck at work for the night. Other then only being able to go a max of 35mph, they worked. I have about 4 times a year where I have to be concerned about being able to drive in the snow when the roads are really crappy. I have been thinking of getting a second spare wheel and getting snow tires, but these are pretty appealling.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000UNRJ6K/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&psc=1

AAIIIC
11-15-11, 11:09 AM
I bought a set before driving across country in winter 2010, because it was possible I would see heavy snow in the mountains. Fortunately, I never had to use them. I went with cable style, as they're lower profile than chains, which would help with fitment. I never even test fit them to see if they would work or not, and off the top of my head I don't remember what brand/model I got.

So, I'm not much help. Just keep in mind you'll want something really low profile because there's not a whole lot of extra space to work with in the wheel wells.

dangrus
11-15-11, 10:50 PM
I was checking out the cable ones but multiple reviews talk about them tearing apart during the first use. They are substantially cheaper but I would hate for them to tear apart going down the road and tear up the fender.

AAIIIC
11-16-11, 01:32 AM
From what I've seen, both types are rather prone to failure. The brand I went with (SCC) rates the durability of their cables higher than that of their chains.

Like I said, though, I've never actually used them, so they could be garbage. :)

perfect
11-16-11, 02:06 AM
Has anyone used tire chains on a performance car? I was talking to a coworker that has a Q35 and used them last year to get home where otherwise he would have been stuck at work for the night. Other then only being able to go a max of 35mph, they worked. I have about 4 times a year where I have to be concerned about being able to drive in the snow when the roads are really crappy. I have been thinking of getting a second spare wheel and getting snow tires, but these are pretty appealling.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000UNRJ6K/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&psc=1

dangrus! I managed for the first winter I was in KC to make it around town in my V (without snow chains - although I did have snow tires; Blizzak LM-22's).

If you ever get stuck in your V give me a call and I'll get you home in my lifted Suburban!

mberisha
11-16-11, 05:48 AM
Chains on a V.......wow.....love to see how universal our Vs are!

However....my V usually doesn't even see rain if I can help it......

repenttokyo
11-16-11, 02:09 PM
i drive my V in deep snow in Blizzak's with no issues.

JDB
11-17-11, 12:35 PM
i drive my V in deep snow in Blizzak's with no issues.

2nd. Although my Audis with winters are much better at it....and if I lived in an area that saw more snow, Id rather have a beater winter car.

mstrjon32
11-17-11, 02:20 PM
However....my V usually doesn't even see rain if I can help it......

I drove mine up a logging road this summer, lol. I was glad I had the LSD.

JimmyH
11-17-11, 08:22 PM
Are you sure Missouri allows them? They are prohibited in Illinois.

dangrus
11-17-11, 10:27 PM
I don't think I could ever put them on a car. It would just be wrong.

I think I am just going to pick up another rim to add to my spare. I will then pick up some snow tires when I find a deal.

lollygagger8
11-18-11, 02:11 PM
I would drive around a Yugo with no heat and bald tires in the winter before I put chains on a V.

Castro
11-18-11, 03:51 PM
Pirelli Sottozeros are good. I had studded snow tires on my rwd G35 that were beastly and drove perfectly through ice let alone heavy snow. Don't do chains.

JimmyH
11-18-11, 05:58 PM
I would drive around a Yugo with no heat and bald tires in the winter before I put chains on a V.

I would very much like to see a picture of you in a Yugo. I would make that thread a sticky.