: HELP...7000lb Truck wont turn

csmooth79
11-02-04, 11:40 PM
Basically what happened is turned out of the parking spot pulled up to the front of the house, still running then went to pull off and couldnt turn the front wheels. Think its the power steering pump but wanted to know if anyone had any ideas. Is the power steering electronically controlled? The truck will turn when moving without the power assist, just hard to turn. There is fluid in the pump no leaks visible. Also is it damaging to drive without the power assist? Any help would be appreciated.

02escalade
01-01-05, 06:32 PM
I would not drive it just given the danger of a 7k pound truck with limited control...take a 60 tow and be safe. Definately sounds like a ps pump issue...just surprised that there was no warning. if you are still holding fluid then it is still a sealed system, so I would bet it is internal to the pump if the belt and pully are still attached :-). Good luck....and call a tow.

slk230mb
01-01-05, 10:30 PM
I would not drive it just given the danger of a 7k pound truck with limited control...take a 60 tow and be safe. Definately sounds like a ps pump issue...just surprised that there was no warning. if you are still holding fluid then it is still a sealed system, so I would bet it is internal to the pump if the belt and pully are still attached :-). Good luck....and call a tow.

:yeah:
Definately sounds like the p/s pump is shot. Is there any whining when turning the wheel when stationery?

skides1
01-02-05, 01:40 AM
PS pump failure is common on the 99's.

99 SKALAID
01-02-05, 02:49 PM
PS pump failure is common on the 99's.
:rant2:

skides1
01-17-05, 03:04 PM
Hey Skalaid,
Have you had many drivetrain issues yet? I have developed a transfer case leak. I was towing a 6000lb trailer 2500mi this week and it was hard on everything. Plus I had 1500lbs+plus in the truck-I figure 12000lb GVW. At least I made it home.Also- everyone be sure to use GM AUTO-TRAC synthetic fluid in the transfer case-12.00$ a quart and a bitch to fill!

99 SKALAID
01-17-05, 09:36 PM
Hey Skalaid,
Have you had many drivetrain issues yet? I have developed a transfer case leak. I was towing a 6000lb trailer 2500mi this week and it was hard on everything. Plus I had 1500lbs+plus in the truck-I figure 12000lb GVW. At least I made it home.Also- everyone be sure to use GM AUTO-TRAC synthetic fluid in the transfer case-12.00$ a quart and a bitch to fill!

hey skides,

nope the only issue i have now is the transmission in overdrive throws a code that tells the computer it is slipping, and ups the line pressure, so it shifts super hard. so i just leave it in D not OD and it doesnt throw that code

otherwise no real problems, i went to vegas from SF ca and trailed a 69 camaro there and back. no issues, i have helper air bags installed, cause it is lowerd and with the extra weight it hits the bump stops, so the helper bags really help.

rearend is quiet, though i havent changed the fluid in it yet. tranny has been flushed about 5 months ago. front end doesnt leak, i have used 4wd like 1 time in the past year, and i think it was for about 3 minutes

So far it has 116k on it and runs perfectly, the driver seat heater broke, so i have to change the whole leather part of the seat now :madtalkin

skides1
01-18-05, 03:36 PM
Skalaid,
Check this out, before I left Seattle, my truck broke down-it backfired and woouldn't start-it had been tripping a crank/camshaft correlation code for six months. I thought it was the crankshaft sensor-no big deal. It turned out that the dist gear had a tooth missing and finally groung down to where it wouldn't turn. OK, I had my intake gaskets done at a cheap shop and they must have chipped the gear or something. The oil pump runs off the dist-the dealer said the oil pump locked up while I using synthetic 5$ quart oil- 105K miles???? :banghead: 1600 dollars and now I have a loud whine when the engine is cold :banghead: have you ever heard of an engine failure like that? In the meantime, my TC is leaking 11$ quart blue fluid like crazy!!!!!!!!!! I will hold on to the grill, if you wan't it later, let me know. In the meantime-I am saving up for the CTS-V.