Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Northstar Main Studs-

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Speedygman 
#1 · (Edited)
I don't have a lot of time right now to post full details of availability but here's a quick image of the stud kit that both SpeedyGMan and Ternstes are getting for their Northstar builds. Grady's is done and on the way to him-

These are made from hardened stainless steel, threads are rolled. The threads are better quality than that of the OEM bolts. I noticed on many of the OEM bolts the threads are a bit inconsistent and the thread crests are not as pointy as they should be.

Grady, please post pics of your main stud install. These are straight as an arrow, the two halves of the block should slide together with no issues.

Once everything else is caught up at both Ontario and Manitoba shops, I will make sure some sets are produced and available for delivery.

Note the one stud is longer than the rest, that's to accomodate the oil pick-up tube.

See less See more
#5 ·
Torque specs are 45 ft. lbs. on the nuts, studs set in loose (finger tight technically). Tim, I'll email or call you real soon regarding ship status.

I've made some mistakes in this business and one was not having that CNC turning center long ago. Two months ago I knew nothing about G-Code or CNC programming. With the only resources and training being the internet and many hours of practice, I'm no expert by any means but I'm now able to make the parts that I need with the accuracy and precision that I've never been able to get from my suppliers.

Against all odds, and even with the ill-wishes of a few people (this morning I got a call and someone had mentioned something about coming to Manitoba and putting a bullet through my head because his stud kit hasn't arrived 6 days after the order was placed, last Tuesday), my business is still afloat and it will survive and prosper as long as I treat people well and they have a bit of understanding for what I've had to deal with.

For a short time; that CNC is going on hiatus.

A few reasons.

#1 it was 30 degrees F in the shop this morning. I need to insulate.
#2 I have customers to look after in Ontario; and it's high time I do so.
#3 for a short time; the stud kits will be off the market.

Now I have the ability; at any given time, to turn that lathe on and start mass producing parts again. But for right now priority #1 is going to be given to re-establishing Northstar Performance as the best repair shop around for the notorious HG issue. I'm earning far more money fixing the cars and the stud kits haven't turned a profit since early this year. Overhead; employee paychecks; supplier debt; killed the profits. Despite the negativity, the problems, the hardship and headaches I'm still able to ship kits. Right now I'm going to choose not to.

Over the next month or so; I'll be in Ontario doing my job. Manitoba will still be the head office taking calls and scheduling vehicles. The shop in Ontario is re-opening full time. I'm going to be purchasing a second CNC turning center; probably a sub-spindle system.

I know taking the kits off the market will leave a void for now but I assure you; the kit will be available again soon. I need to make this drastic move for the survival of my little business. If your project can wait about 3-4 weeks I will make very sure you will still get a stud kit. I will leave no man behind.

In about a month or so I will be back with the stud kits; stronger than ever before and with production speed and a decent amount of stock on the shelf that I've never had before.

I do need to invest in more tooling for my CNC lathe. Carbide drills with coolant that passes through the tip, is one of them. Drill bits are wearing out way to quick (even good ones) so it's time to get the best.

I'm here for you all. Brooklynn will always answer calls 8am-5pm central and my cell is still 226-377-0126- I'd just appreciate calls or texts during normal work hours- and if I don't answer I apologize, work needs to get done, please refer to Brooklynn at that point.

Thank you :)

#10 ·
Thanks all. Grady I'll talk to you soon regarding the emails- just on the road right now.

The CNC lathe kind of drained the finances so i couldn't get the shop insulated and heated on time for the cold season. I will be working in Ontario until the shop in Manitoba is insulated and heated. Who would have thought a place that routinely had over 100 degrees this past summer - blistering hot- could get so cold so quick.

I'll keep everyone posted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.