: Sometimes reverse lockout doesn't work (??)

LS6Steve
11-14-11, 12:50 AM
When accelerating at WOT with cutouts open, sometimes my 4-5 shift is rough and I notice the reason is because the reverse lockout isn't working (sometimes I hear the grind as it almost goes into the reverse gear) and I have to move it over a bit to get it into 5th. Only happens sometimes in the described conditions, when vibration is at a max in high rpm with cutouts open at WOT. What could be causing this?

mberisha
11-14-11, 03:02 AM
No cutouts here...but WOT...I can unfortunatley grind Reverse over ~115mph going from 4 to 5....

hnic91
11-14-11, 11:46 AM
Same thing happens to me and only at WOT.

D.K
11-14-11, 12:09 PM
Same here. Seems to just deactivate whenever speeds get a little high.

garrettg
11-14-11, 02:03 PM
I had this as well on my factory trans and was able to get a new trans under powertrain warranty for other reasons. The new trans works properly locking me out under high speed duress, also noticed the new trans locks out R when the car is off which the old trans didn't.

Cadillac Cust Svc
11-15-11, 11:18 AM
D.K.
Are you still within your warranty? Have you talked to a dealer yet?
Breanne
Cadillac Customer Service

D.K
11-15-11, 02:51 PM
D.K.
Breanne

Nope, no warranty unfortunately. I'm pretty sure dealerships would frown upon my car if it came to any type of warranty repair (mods). :lildevil:
The reverse lockout works perfectly under normal conditions though. Other times I just have to remember to do a 4->6 shift.

mberisha
11-16-11, 04:50 AM
D.K.
Breanne

Thread jack.....Breanne...I still have a warranty....where in Germany can I get work done...and is the warranty work any different overseas?

BTW....I'm near Saarbruken and Frankfurt Germany......thanks for your help....

darkman
11-16-11, 07:34 AM
The reverse lockout circuit includes a solenoid, wiring, connectors and a fuse. It is designed to prevent reverse once forward speeds exceed 3 mph. Since the fuse is shared by the ECM, it cannot be the cause of failure if the car still runs. If the reverse lockout is not working you can also check the wiring and the connectors. The solenoid has an MRSP of $200 but is generally available for less than half that. Shifting into reverse at high speed, which can happen in an accident-avoidance maneuver, can destroy a lot of expensive parts - I would not play Russian roulette with this condition. See attached.

Cadillac Cust Svc
11-16-11, 10:25 AM
Mberisha,
You could try to contact Cadillac Customer Assistance in Germany by calling this number: 00800-8680-8800 or by going to http://www.cadillaceurope.com/en/index.php#/contact. They will be able to help you locate a dealer closest to you.
Breanne

mberisha
11-16-11, 03:19 PM
The reverse lockout circuit includes a solenoid, wiring, connectors and a fuse. It is designed to prevent reverse once forward speeds exceed 3 mph. Since the fuse is shared by the ECM, it cannot be the cause of failure if the car still runs. If the reverse lockout is not working you can also check the wiring and the connectors. The solenoid has an MRSP of $200 but is generally available for less than half that. Shifting into reverse at high speed, which can happen in an accident-avoidance maneuver, can destroy a lot of expensive parts - I would not play Russian roulette with this condition. See attached.

As always.....thanks Darkman!

Quick question.....would the solenoid be faulty...and still be intermittent (i.e. 1 out of 100 hard 4-5 shifts above 115mph)?

HimmyJ
11-16-11, 08:56 PM

Did you read any of the post's above? Only happens at high speeds or WOT so it's not the solenoid.
"Shifting into reverse at high speed, which can happen in an accident-avoidance maneuver, can destroy a lot of expensive parts " what the hell does that mean?

CadzillaTN
11-16-11, 09:46 PM
http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y332/memphisctsv/troll-1.jpg

darkman
11-16-11, 10:08 PM
As always.....thanks Darkman!

Quick question.....would the solenoid be faulty...and still be intermittent (i.e. 1 out of 100 hard 4-5 shifts above 115mph)?

Solenoid failures can be intermittent, but if the frequency falls into to the 1 out of 100 category I would check the connectors and grounds (including the negative battery cable) first. This particular solenoid is actuated by the PCM based on speed information so a number of grounds could presumably affect the circuit.

odthetruth
11-16-11, 11:32 PM
LOL Don't feed 'em. I got a good idea who this guy is. Its Jimmy's best friend. LOL