: Driver's seat fixin'

mckellyb
11-13-11, 08:09 PM
Well, it wasn't as cool outside as I thought, low-80's, but in the garage, it wasn't that bad.

I had a couple of hours with quite-literally nothing to do, so I figured, "hey, I'll fix the creaky, no rear-tilt driver's seat.

/facepalm

First, it's not as easy as you'd think when the rear tilt is at its lowest. Also, I cursed many a GM engineer when the lower rearmost bolt on the little plastic gear housing had to first be backed out a couple of turns with an open-end wrench. Could not get a boxed-end to stay on it.

I got it back in with a boxed-end, and I was tired at that point, so it may have been angle-of-attack.

I wound up getting my adjusting rod to move, though I had to use Vice Grips on the metal shaft. It wasn't difficult, but I was going to damage the plastic gear in some manner by using it. The PO was about 6'3", 230-240 lbs., and when he dropped it down all the way, it got 'stuck' for lack of a better word, at the stop on the gear. Spins freely, now, though.

Furthermore, I'd like to have a chat with the committee which designed the electrical connectors on the seat. Guys, how about sticking with at least a similar logic from connector to connector!

At least the motor turns, now, but I'll have it back apart next weekend to see what I didn't get back together quite right. I know it's either inside the gearbox or the drive cable. The motor spins, but there's no movement. This is a definite improvement over no motor spinning & no movement, but you can hear the motor trying.

Took pictures, and I'll add to the write-up which is elsewhere on the board.

What is really nice is the addition of a bit of rubber shimming where the seat rubs the base makes a HUGE difference. The seat actually seems to 'fit' better, though it may be because the rear isn't bottomed-out, now, though it's close.