: Navi issue w/ 2007 ext- need confirmation before replacement

mdsheely
11-13-11, 05:33 PM
Here's the deal, my 07 ext navigation has an intermittent problem. It will not turn on. When I turn on the vehicle the screen is completely black. If I hold the power button it beeps but the screen will not turn on..it will also not make noise or play music. If I hit the change disc button the I can hear the mechanism work but it still wont play. I also have the parrot blue tooth that works with the screen black or not. The screen it seems works the first time I get in the vehicle but then if I drive somewhere and turn it off-go to get back in the screen is black. It seems to be worse or more frequent when it's cold outside. The dealership did a quick diagnosis and said it needed replaced. But they also said the bluetooth could be causing the issue. They wanted 660 to diagnose with no guarantee of correction. They also wanted 1600 for a new unit and then another 7-8 to replace..don't really wanna Spend that right now...thanks in advance for your assistance..

luxurylife33
11-13-11, 05:53 PM
Who installed the bluetooth? I would try and put everything back to factory and start from there. Sounds like a loose connection or something. I wouldnt shell out that kind of money to the dealer.

mdsheely
11-13-11, 07:07 PM
Thanks for the reply- I bought the truck used and it came installed. I remember looking at escalades awhile back and seeing the same blue tooth installed. I just tried undoing the battery for 30min with no luck. The dealership wanted 660 to put it back to normal and wouldn't guarantee correction. Let's say I am just gonna replace it, what would be better- factory unit with core for 1100 or an aftermarket alpine or pioneer for like 800-1k? What other functions does the head unit perform? Also are the aftermarket compatible with the rear entertainment system?

luxurylife33
11-13-11, 10:49 PM
stay with the factory ... i doubt the pioneer is compatible with the RSE. You will have to do alot of wiring to make it work. Theres a few people in the 02-06 forum that have made it work, but like I said with a lot of extra wiring.

Your not able to remove the nav by yourself? It really seems like a simple fix... i bet theres a loose connection somewhere

mdsheely
11-14-11, 04:04 PM
I can probably take it out.. just dont really want to try. The only thing with the loose wire option is that it worked all summer without issue. It seems to only act up when the weather is cold. And then its hit or miss. like when I go out first thing in the morning, it works. But then when I go to lunch it doesnt. But when I leave work for the day, it does. But then when I go out at night, it doesnt. Not always every other time, but seems like every other or every third time it works.

grisik
11-14-11, 06:43 PM
Mine did the same thing today. Stayed black when I started the truck. I could still hear the music and change Volume but not change the channel. I turned off the truck and restarted it. Went back to normal.

Cadillac Cust Svc
11-15-11, 03:41 PM
What is the name of the dealership that you are working with? How many miles are currently on your vehicle?
Breanne
Cadillac Customer Service