: cant get front tire off

brentspatriots
11-11-11, 05:23 PM
Im switching to my winter tires now, got the truck jacked up, all the lug nuts are off and I cant get the wheel off. I tried pounding it with a sledge hammer, did that for 5 minutes straight and nothing. am i missing something here?

What confuses me is there is 6 lug bolts that the wheel sits on but only 5 lug nuts. One of the lug bolts on each front tire doesnt have a standard nut. It has a casing around it. Is this my problem? Do I have to release something around this phantom lug nut?

I feel like a real jackass here but I cant understand how I cant take a tire off!!! lol

chakde
11-11-11, 05:47 PM
Could it be one of the security nut that takes a special adapter to remove. Once you use this adapter it should fit your tire wrench. I would check the glove box.

I don't be,ieve it comes from factory like that, the dealer or previous owner may have added it as a security feature so a crook cannot steal your wheels.

brentspatriots
11-11-11, 05:50 PM
your right it is one of those security nuts...and i thought i was beat until i went out to find one, but now that you mention my glove box i remember seeing/hearing a big socket looking thing rolling around in there! lol im going to check now, thanks! heres to hoping thats what i need

smiley47
11-11-11, 07:34 PM
I'm really glad to hear those wheel locks work so well. As long as the bad guy doesn't have a chest full of different adapters or they don't break in the vehicle and find the adapter in the golove compartment where most of us keep them.

chakde
11-11-11, 09:21 PM
I totally agree I think we all keep them there. It is like locking your house door and leaving the key under the front mat LOL.