: Subwoofer install questions (audio experts weight in please!)

stater02
11-11-11, 12:34 PM
Hey guys...I'm getting ready to put some extra bass in my ride (2010 Luxury) and I have a question for anyone who has installed a system in their truck.

I did some searching and I see that some people have installed woofers into the mouldings in the Jackbox. I want to go JL audio and I'm torn between doing something custom by installing into the side mouldings or just getting a slim box to fit behind the third row. I'm also intrigued by the super-slim JL Audio 13TW5s (http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_subs.php?series_id=30)

I actually prefer to go the box route so I can quickly remove it if necessary. I'm not looking for a crazy amount of bass that'll rattle the car next to me, just want to add some low end.

Does anyone have any advice or thoughts that they could lend as to the best way to go in adding some bass in our trucks?

Thanks so much in advance.

MrHolland
11-11-11, 01:20 PM
JL has been all Ive ever owned, quality product. Im sure the TW5 will also be as high of quality as the rest of their products but Ive never heard a "thin" speaker like that. I have actually been considering this set up for my car
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_stealthbox_detail.php?fit_id=1645

Why not this system? You wont need to remove it. Personally I will try for a single larger speaker, Im not a fan of 10s

stater02
11-11-11, 05:35 PM
Thanks for the reply. I'm not a fan of the sealthboxes. I meant to type that in my original email but forgot. I do not like how it sits pearched on the window still like that.

I'd much prefer to intergrate them into the side mouldings to the side of the 3rd row, or just go with a slim box for the back.

gdirty5
11-13-11, 12:38 AM
I have a kicker solobaric between the 2nd row seats. Running a jl 500/1 under one of the 2nd row seats. Doesnt take up cargo space, makes getting in to the 3rd row slightly more difficult but i can always fold a seat to get someone back there.

Aerocoupe
11-13-11, 04:44 PM
I read the add for the JL Stealth box and it says it will not work with the power lift option on the tail gate....don't all Escalades come with that? Funny thing is they even show the power lift option in the picture with the box.

I would opt for what gdirty5 did as I consider that wasted space but we don't have kids so the 3rd row seats are in the attic wrapped up.

Darren

MrHolland
11-13-11, 05:57 PM
I also noticed that. Next to the pic it says its for the power lift option and at the bottom it says it wont work with the power lift option. Oh well, JL is known for their audio equipment not their ability to proof advertisements..

stater02
11-14-11, 10:29 AM
Thanks for the feedback. For those of you with subs/systems, are you finding it necessary to do the 2nd battery install?

hcvone
11-14-11, 10:34 AM
Thanks for the feedback. For those of you with subs/systems, are you finding it necessary to do the 2nd battery install?

I started the dual battery thing, it was not for sound systems, it's so the truck would start when I am in the middle of nowhere, of course it will only help the sound system. ;)

stater02
11-14-11, 11:52 AM
I saw that HCVONE...I haven't had any difficulty with the truck starting since I bought it, but I did notice that it doesn't take long to get the LOWBAT warning. It appears that most people buy two new Optima batteries + all the wiring harnesses. Do you see any detriment to using the stock battery (I have a 2010 with 21K on the odometer, so it's not an old battery but it's not new either) and adding the Optima or would you strongly recommend starting with two new batteries together?

Do you still have those schematics that you could send someone? I may tackle this install this weekend since I'm doing my audio and LED conversion as well.

Mha
11-14-11, 06:54 PM
If your going over 1000watts I would do the battery upgrade maybe an alt also. I used to run close to 1200 watts with no dimming but now that I have a bigger set up I cant power it up to much without my dash starting to dim. I wonder why the hids dont flicker?

nmcjr
12-17-11, 12:57 AM
I have a kicker solobaric between the 2nd row seats. Running a jl 500/1 under one of the 2nd row seats. Doesnt take up cargo space, makes getting in to the 3rd row slightly more difficult but i can always fold a seat to get someone back there.

Hi, do you happen to have a photo of your install? I was looking at the StealthBox as well, but just don't really like it and was thinking this might be a good option.

Big Windy Ext
12-17-11, 10:37 AM
I saw that HCVONE...I haven't had any difficulty with the truck starting since I bought it, but I did notice that it doesn't take long to get the LOWBAT warning. It appears that most people buy two new Optima batteries + all the wiring harnesses. Do you see any detriment to using the stock battery (I have a 2010 with 21K on the odometer, so it's not an old battery but it's not new either) and adding the Optima or would you strongly recommend starting with two new batteries together?

Do you still have those schematics that you could send someone? I may tackle this install this weekend since I'm doing my audio and LED conversion as well.
It is recommended not to mix batteries of different amp hour ratings or an age difference of 6 months,the older or larger battery will charge at a higher rate and overcharge the newer or smaller battery reducing the life of both.

wesyder
12-17-11, 01:04 PM
I would have the battery tested , just because the rig is new doesn't mean while sitting on the lot the battery hadn't been drained many times, and if u don't want any issues while running 2 batts they must match

Rich909
12-18-11, 01:24 AM
On my escalade I had some custom fiberglass pods made that are located near the rear glass on each sides.They have shallow subwoofers and the pods are wrapped in carbon fiber vinyl. You can still used the 3rd row seat and have all your cargo space. I will try and post some pictures in the next couple days.