Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Has anyone here added on a Back up Camera to there car ?

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  The-Dullahan 
#1 ·
Has anyone here added a Back up Camera to there car that did not come with it ?

what did you use and do you like the model and brand you got ?

im thinking of a back up camera for my New Pioneer system and i hear good things about the Boyo Cameras
but my main problem is i have to run the Wire threw the trunk into the car somehow and
even though i have a new trunk sail im afraid putting something extra that the trunk will close on cause a leak to come back perhaps
so not sure where the hell i would run the cable but

what do you all yous if you have one

#4 ·
I have a really neat one..........It mounts to the windshield just in front of the overhead console, and incorporates an electronic compass, electronic reflected light dimming, controls for the OnStar system - all you do is look at it and it shows you what's behind the car. There are also two auxiliary visual input sensors, one on each door - they add to the angular spread of the center unit.

#5 ·
yeah well see the rear view miror is going to be 86ed i think or atleast im going to take the glass out of it and install a monitor that way i don't loose the auto dimming driver mirror
so there

excuse me if i just want to add some stuff because i am trying to waste money lol

for another thread im also going to put some head rest montiros in all four headrest yes the rear ones also why i have no freaking idea LOL
then im going to add some sun visor montiros
and also more to come after that
but thats for another thread

consider this was on rear view use only lol

gosh i knew yall where going to start this crap

#8 ·
Yeah but the wireless one still has to have a transmitter hidden somewhere and usually they have to be run behind the trunk lid and then the other transmitter into the Dash to come out the navi unit

i was thinking the Audiovox license plate frame Cam wich is wireless but there are 2 transmitters one that plugs into the camera and has to have a power source and then the not so small receiver has to be hiden somewhere and only place that would go is int he trunk and have to have a wire running from that to the cam

then there is the other receiver that goes to the Back of the Monitor all a wireless unit does
is eliminate the need of running wires threw the entire car from front to back but you still have to run some wires
and the only thing that will keep me from getting the cam is
if there is any chance running the wires is going to leave a gap somewhere in the Trunk seal and take the chance of the trunk leaking

#13 ·
The Ford Fusion had one too. It was designed in a way where, when you shift into reverse, it displays the video right on the training mirror. This is a great use of technology, except that the Ford Fusion is far to small to have any real need for such a thing, because you can just look backwards and see anything behind you.

I have been told the same things about the Boyo cameras and have had it suggested to install one on the Cadillac, but would never invest in one. Yes, I drive a 20 foot vehicle with zero visibility of anything further back than my seat, two mirrors on the side designed with purely ornamental intention, as they do no good at actually seeing the full length of the car and like all good cars, it has no training mirror on the centre of the windshield, because that would be ridiculous and no matter how far I turn around, I can't possibly see anything out any of the other windows, but like I said, I drive the car. This entails having a complete knowledge of what I am doing, regardless of how much I can see behind me. A secondary argument is that I have not seen an aftermarket backup camera installation in my life that looked even half decent, so maybe look for the one that will actually look good after installation?

Most interestingly though, I did once see a car with two cameras like this mounted on either side of the trunk, facing out to the sides. In spite of being a subcompact Honda, I feel they were claimed as a means of changing lanes effectively, rather than the obvious that Honda owners like installing anything they can on their cars to try to make them seem better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.